Mascot Preference

• 40 replies
Re: Mascot Preference
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »
No. That's not true. "They" didn't pick up the idea of an Indian; the students did. Some of the guys from the college permanently "borrowed" a cigar store Indian from a tobacco store and used it as an unofficial mascot.  The university never endorsed Black Jack, as it was called, and in fact, kept it hidden in a locker to avoid a connection with the Native American icon and the school, as well as to keep it from being stolen before a big game........a common practice at the time
The "redmen" name came from Grantland Rice, a famous sports writer from The Times who used the appellation in the late 20's, describing our championship football team dressed entirely in red.
In my time at StJ, I saw Black Jack once at one game with Fordham and that appearance was inspired by the Booster (student council) club. It was in 1957 and, to my knowledge, was the last public appearance. He was in a yearbook around 1956 but I  suspect it is now in someone's home or in an antique shop. The AD, Mr.Mac would have nothing to do with it and kept it stored.
In the late 50's, college basketball in NYC was king along with the Yankees. Various students from Zeta Sigma Pi and Tau  Alpha Upsilon appeared on the court regularly in an effort to build spirit and provide a mascot in a world that was growing with live characters (St. Joe's Hawk, WKy's "Blob" (?), WVa's Mountaineer, etc.)  It had nothing to do with Aboriginal culture, or our first peoples,  but it ultimately became translated as being offensive to society as a whole.
Had we , as students, focused on the dignity of a local tribe of natives as was the case with Florida State, we might still have our loose connection with Indians; but, we didn't.
The best course now has been suggested by MCNPA. Go with Storm, the bird, (for the kids and PR appearances), and live with the fact that we will always be the Johnnies to sportscasters and old grads alike.
Wanna have some fun? Try to come up with the names of the guys who heisted the wooden Indian in the twenties or thirties. I knew one of  them who wound up in a sports hall of fame.

Great post. Fascinating and informative. Thanks.