Staff Changes being made...

• 60 replies

pmg911

Staff Changes being made...
« on: April 30, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
Word is working its way around basketball community that there are some pending staff changes coming for the Red Storm...

Nothing major going on but changes being made to try and stop the transfer talk of Mr. Burrell...

Re: Staff Changes being made...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 02:53:45 PM »
who? what? when? where? 

Any meat behind the post?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »
who? what? when? where? 

There certainly is...    one adminstrative staffer is leaving to take a job at another local school and an AAU coach from the NYC area is being given a job in community relations....   the AAU has close ties to JB...

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »
They giving our boy KOB a job ?

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »
Thanks!

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »

No..  KOB has himself a very good job already...

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 03:26:06 PM »

Go Fly?

kob24

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:11:57 PM »

lmao no comment

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »

lmao no comment

On your job or the staff change...    ha ha ha ha ha

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »
Are these good changes in your opinion?  I got excited but I see these are not the big x and o changes I would hope for.

Once again, we all hope JB doesn't transfer.  No matter what, this team will be better in a year's time; either our current staff will become competitive in the Big East (I have to believe that an NIT berth or near that has to be the standard for this squad) or changes will be made.  I can't see this staff staying on after a 15 and 15 or 16 and 14 season.  I can see (though I don't agree) with the rationale of keeping the staff this year; they brought in new talent, they have all their own guys, they should have a pair of years to make something happen.  But there's no rationale to keeping these cats around for another go-around if they can't recruit, can't score, and can't win.

kob24

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »
i cant stand my job. all i do is beat people up and write all day long. its boring

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »
who? what? when? where? 

There certainly is...    one adminstrative staffer is leaving to take a job at another local school and an AAU coach from the NYC area is being given a job in community relations....   the AAU has close ties to JB...

can you drop any names?

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
I don't agree with a Staff making changes to please a player >:(  , make changes for the current record

It is bad enough the NBA is over run by cry babies getting their coaches fired

I don't want to see the College game follow that path, not a good trend to follow

Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Randomhero423

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:48:01 PM »
hopefuly monasch said something that if JB transfers norm's out. so norm is doing this stuff to save his job.

kob24

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:27:17 PM »
whoa hold on fellas no college kid holds that kinda power. none so please i already see it coming this has nothing to do with justin this is a management choice. colleg coaches have the biggest egos almost as big as a professional head coach. trust me. they wont hear of this.

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 09:48:58 AM »
BY ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 6:55 PM

St. John's may make a move to shore up recruiting within the city by hiring Oswald Cross, the former coach at highly successful Our Saviour Lutheran High in the Bronx, to an administrative position.

Cross recently was dismissed from OSL under bizarre circumstances. He created a program so successful that school administrators could not financially support it. He currently is working in a part-time capacity with the AAU Long Island Panthers and also has a full-time job in a different field.

Cross could be very important to St.John's. He coached Justin Burrell, the Red Storm's 6-7 star freshman who is said to be considering a transfer.He is also a counselor to Kevin Parrom, a junior forward out of St. Raymond in the Bronx.

At St. John's, 10 of the first 22 players to whom SJU coach Norm Roberts offered scholarships have left. Roberts made a vow that the Red Storm would not let its top players leave without a fight. Hiring Cross may give him some leverage in that fight.

Burrell, who is arguably St. John's top returning talent, could be influenced by the departures of other players.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »
I am not sure how much truth is in the statement about JB.

I see nothing wrong with the hire of a successful NY city High School coach that had his basketball program ripped away and also has a good connection with the Panther.

I can appreciate that Norm is doing everything within the rules to make St. John's a winner.

I am a little surprised that people can take the smallest article about St. John's and turn it into a Norm bashing.

I am going to take this hire as a step in the right direction to land NYC talant.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
"Cross could be very important to St.John's. He coached Justin Burrell, the Red Storm's 6-7 star freshman who is said to be considering a transfer."

I'm tired of these writers using message board posts as unnamed sources for their articles.  If Justin is said to be transferring, name your source.  It's one thing for posters to say it without attribution, but a journalist should be better than that.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »

I see nothing wrong with the hire of a successful NY city High School coach that had his basketball program ripped away and also has a good connection with the Panther.

I can appreciate that Norm is doing everything within the rules to make St. John's a winner.

I am a little surprised that people can take the smallest article about St. John's and turn it into a Norm bashing.

I am going to take this hire as a step in the right direction to land NYC talant.

red2395, most dont question that this is a positive step, but why didn't they do this 4 years ago?

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »
I am not sure how much truth is in the statement about JB.

If a desperate Big East coach on his last legs were interested in hiring a successful NYC hs coach with ties to an AAU program, he could have targeted Mo Hicks, who has ties to Rice and the Gauchos. Of course, a Queens College graduate could've hired him four years ago instead of hiring his buddies with ties to St. Francis and Central Connecticut St., which have proven to be less than fruitful.