Staff Changes being made...

• 60 replies
Re: Staff Changes being made...
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
From my sources, Justin is going no where.

This is a great hire who has NY roots in the AAU circuit....isn't that what we all wanted? I don't want to hear complaints about but I know there will be because we complain about everything.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »

I see nothing wrong with the hire of a successful NY city High School coach that had his basketball program ripped away and also has a good connection with the Panther.

I can appreciate that Norm is doing everything within the rules to make St. John's a winner.

I am a little surprised that people can take the smallest article about St. John's and turn it into a Norm bashing.

I am going to take this hire as a step in the right direction to land NYC talant.

red2395, most dont question that this is a positive step, but why didn't they do this 4 years ago?

well you see, its like the old joke when a guy gets lost in his car and he keeps saying im not lost, im not lost...well, roberts prob felt he could still recruit, and you know what considering the guys he is getting for how bad the program has been performing and how the program is portrayed in the media, he's not really doing "THAT" bad of a job recruiting...its just he really can't coach, or do anything with the talent he has, so the program suffers, and we dont get the top top talent...maybe this guy can help a little bit, or maybe the rumors are true and its a move just to keep burrell on the team, who knows

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 01:34:56 PM »
From my sources, Justin is going no where.

This is a great hire who has NY roots in the AAU circuit....isn't that what we all wanted? I don't want to hear complaints about but I know there will be because we complain about everything.

Agreed, Although Norm cannot coach, I'd be perfectly fine with recruiting 4star talent year after year.

Randomhero423

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 02:58:27 PM »
why would mo hicks want to be a assistent coach instead of a HC at rice hs/admin for gauchos?

this would be a good hire, BUT it's too late imho.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 01:46:29 AM »
We may see some more staff changes being made in the near future.

gonzalo

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 02:32:01 AM »

Interesting. Possible names?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:34:45 AM by gonzalo »

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:18 AM »
i'd like to see norm jettison braica and bring in an offensive guru.  having a former assistant at st francis running our offense doesn't cut it.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
"Cross could be very important to St.John's. He coached Justin Burrell, the Red Storm's 6-7 star freshman who is said to be considering a transfer."

I'm tired of these writers using message board posts as unnamed sources for their articles.  If Justin is said to be transferring, name your source.  It's one thing for posters to say it without attribution, but a journalist should be better than that.

Who need a source. The fact that he's considering it should be obvious.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »
"Cross could be very important to St.John's. He coached Justin Burrell, the Red Storm's 6-7 star freshman who is said to be considering a transfer."

I'm tired of these writers using message board posts as unnamed sources for their articles.  If Justin is said to be transferring, name your source.  It's one thing for posters to say it without attribution, but a journalist should be better than that.

this is actually an interesting debate and something ive gone back and forth with on myself if that situation ever arose on an article i do.  however, while i DO chase down tips i read on message boards (im sick and tired of journalists who have this elitist attitude towards message boards and feel like theyre above them and pretend that boards dont exist), i make sure i have sources confirm stories before i ever run with it. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
nothing wrong with taking leads from message boards...but like you said they need to be confirmed before going to print.

simplyred...I don't think there is any reason the writer needs to name sources.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Randomhero423

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
if writers had to cite their sources on inside info/rumors, then there would be no inside info/rumors....

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »
if writers had to cite their sources on inside info/rumors, then there would be no inside info/rumors....

what simplyred is saying though, is that message boards arent anonymous sources since anyone can go on them, so they should be attributed by name.  however, if you follow a lead from a board THEN get it confirmed from a named or unnamed source, should you name the place you got the initial tip from? i dont think you really need to as long as you say you have a source that confirmed it. interesting debate though.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »

what simplyred is saying though, is that message boards arent anonymous sources since anyone can go on them, so they should be attributed by name.  however, if you follow a lead from a board THEN get it confirmed from a named or unnamed source, should you name the place you got the initial tip from? i dont think you really need to as long as you say you have a source that confirmed it. interesting debate though.

and if the writer isn't confirming message board posts one would hope the writer gets nailed for it...like Hoops Weiss... 8)

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »
Sometime rumor and innuendos can have a deterious effect on the situation.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kob24

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
thank u sir u said it best.

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:45 AM »

Has the near future arrived yet?

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/

St. John’s has two openings on its staff and rumors are rampant that Kimani Young of New Heights and/or Oswald Cross of the New York Panthers could get hired by the end of the month by Norm Roberts.

“It’s Oz’s job to turn down,” a source told me.

“Officially, there are no basketball staff changes at this time,” said a St. John’s spokesman.

A previous rumor had Lincoln coach Dwayne “Tiny” Morton also in consideration, but Roberts told me that was not the case…Stay tuned.

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 06:08:18 PM »
thank u sir u said it best.

Thank you, the both of you, for the voice of reason and not gossip

kob24

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »
I'm curious what are the two positions

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/

St. John’s has two openings on its staff and rumors are rampant that Kimani Young of New Heights and/or Oswald Cross of the New York Panthers could get hired by the end of the month by Norm Roberts.

“It’s Oz’s job to turn down,” a source told me.

“Officially, there are no basketball staff changes at this time,” said a St. John’s spokesman.

A previous rumor had Lincoln coach Dwayne “Tiny” Morton also in consideration, but Roberts told me that was not the case…Stay tuned.

Believe half the things you hear.......