Staff Changes being made...

• 60 replies
Re: Staff Changes being made...
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2008, 12:32:43 PM »
more from Zags about possible staff changes...not much new...also mentions inroads with Lance

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080808&content_id=1470957&oid=2&vkey=21

If you listen very closely, you can hear the sounds of potentially significant change coming from the St. John's basketball program.
With an eye toward recruiting some of the top players in the New York City area, head coach Norm Roberts is poised to make some additions to his staff.

On top of that, the Johnnies appear to have a real chance at landing several of the Tri-State Area's best seniors, including Brooklyn Lincoln standout Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson.

All of this is good news for a team that finished 11-19 overall, 5-13 in the Big East last season, 14th in the 16-team conference.

First, let's address the imminent coaching changes. There are two staff openings -- a graduate assistant position and a head team manager spot -- both of which could be re-titled depending upon who is hired to fill them. Roberts is looking at both Oswald Cross of the New York Panthers grassroots program and Kimani Young, director of the New Heights program.

Cross coached current St. John's sophomore Justin Burrell at Our Saviour Lutheran in the Bronx and also happens to have strong relationships with talented New York seniors Kevin Parrom and Omari Lawrence, both of whom play for the Panthers.

"It's Oz's job to turn down," a source said.

Young is the director of a New Heights program that features talented juniors JayVaughn Pinkston of Bishop Loughlin and Devon Collier and Ashton Pankey of St. Anthony.

It remains unclear if Roberts would hire one or both, but he said he "probably won't do anything ... until maybe sometime in August."

"Officially, there are no basketball staff changes at this time," said a St. John's spokesman.

Roberts and his staff have been repeatedly criticized by their fan base for failing to land elite New York players in recent years. Last year, McDonald's All-American Sylven Landesberg, one of the top shooting guards in the nation out of Queens Holy Cross, ultimately chose Virginia over several schools, including St. John's.

Combo forward Kevin Jones of Mount Vernon, N.Y., went to West Virginia, and shooting guard Mookie Jones of Peekskill, N.Y., ended up at Syracuse.

But as we head into a time of year when many athletes are cutting their lists of potential colleges and planning official visits, the Red Storm is hanging in there with Stephenson, Lawrence, Parrom, Durand Scott, Jordan Williams and Tevin Basin -- among the top rising seniors in the nation.

"Right now we're down to Kansas, UCLA and USC," Lance Stephenson Sr. said in June. "St. John's, too. St. John's came on late after the team camp that they had. Lance liked what he saw there, so that's kind of the new team."

The 6-foot-5 Stephenson is ranked No. 2 among shooting guards in the Class of 2009 by Rivals and is projected by some as a future pro, yet he has been plagued by questions about his attitude and behavior.

He was cut from the United States' under-18 national team in July after he and head coach Bob McKillop of Davidson clashed several times in front of players, coaches and the media.

Still, landing Stephenson would be a huge coup for Roberts, who spent part of the July recruiting period watching "Born Ready" in Las Vegas.

"I think you always want to get the highest quality player that you can get, and you always want to get a guy that maybe can be an unbelievable difference-maker and there are a couple across the country," said Roberts, whose program has three scholarships for 2009. "There are some locally that aren't too far away that of course you'd want to have them, and we'd love to add someone like that to our program.

"That could be the person that helps get you over the top."

Lawrence and Parrom are both elite players who transferred to South Kent (Conn.) from St. Raymond's in the Bronx, yet maintain a connection to Cross.

The 6-4, 185-pound Lawrence is ranked No. 32 among shooting guards in the Class of 2009 and lists St. John's, Florida, South Florida, Providence and Marquette among his top options.

"St. John's is my favorite," said Lawrence, who has a separated shoulder and is in a sling for two more weeks.

"I think I'm going to be a trend-setter [if I go there]. I like St. John's because Norm is a good guy and everyone is positive over there."

The 6-6, 200-pound Parrom recently cut his list to Xavier, St. John's, South Carolina, Marquette and Rutgers. "I don't have a favorite," he said

Parrom, the No. 18 small forward in the Class of 2009 according to Rivals, said he hopes to make a decision before the season begins.. Next on his agenda is an unofficial visit to St. John's.

"I'm taking an unofficial visit to St. John's Aug. 11," he said. "I've been there before for tournaments and practices, so I'm looking forward to that."

The 6-4, 180-pound Scott, out of Rice High in Manhattan, is looking at a number of schools, and St. John's has also offered him.

St. John's also began actively recruiting two talented Connecticut players early on.

Williams, a 6-9, 245-pound power forward from Torrington (Conn.) High, has picked up a lot of offers with his strong play this summer, but told Rivals "St. John's has been there before the spring."

Baskin is a 6-foot-7, 205-pound rising senior combo forward at Trinity (Conn.) Catholic who plays for the New York Gauchos AAU program and lists a slew of offers, including St. John's, Rutgers and Seton Hall.

If the Johnnies can somehow land two or more of these players, in addition to beefing up their coaching staff with someone with strong ties to the local grassroots community, St. John's fans could have some real hope about the future.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!