Current players and recruits

• 64 replies

Comet

Current players and recruits
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Do any of the current players have friends / past teammates that we are recruiting ?

Re: Current players and recruits
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:59 AM »
Cheick Diallo and Felix Balamou were former teammates and friends.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
It seems like all of our good players brought a friend. Most of there friends kind of stink though

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
It seems like all of our good players brought a friend. Most of there friends kind of stink though

Hooper hasn't played a game yet. You don't think Felix showed potential as a freshmen?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
I don't think Felix can shoot or score at this level, that's not a good for a shooting guard. Never saw max play, all I know is he played at a big hs. He got plenty of exposure and no one wanted him. He was at Harvard and didn't play. I will happily eat my words if both make an impact.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
While I agree that Felix is not a great shooter, I do think he can score on this level.  Both in transition and on offensive put backs.  Not sure yet if he can create offense for himself.  Max is a shooter, period!  He is gonna be one of the biggest "surprises" in the BE this year.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »
Felix is a dynamic player. He makes things happen out there. Rebounds, hounding on defense, always around the ball, intangibles. I like what I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:19:12 AM by qcredman »

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Felix is a dynamic player. He makes things happen out there. Rebounds, hounding on defense, always around the ball, intangibles. I like what I've seen.

I personally would like to see him redshirt this year.  It spreads roster out a bit and gives him more opportunity long term.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »

Except for that guy who nailed 10 threes in one game. He doesn't stink.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »

I personally would like to see him redshirt this year.  It spreads roster out a bit and gives him more opportunity long term.

It's probably a good idea. Jones too, however, I hope Lavin waits until 2/3 games into the season provided its allowed. We sure could have used Gift last year.

NYCoffey

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »
I think its allowed. As long as they don't play in any games, you can wait as far into the season as you want to red shirt a player I believe.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
The guy who hit 10 threes in a game hasnt even played a real game yet. When/if he does it in a big east game I will acknowledge it.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
The guy who hit 10 threes in a game hasnt even played a real game yet. When/if he does it in a big east game I will acknowledge it.

Because the Butler kids will play him tougher than the European pros?

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »

I think it would be great for him and the team, provided he is ok with it and that it doesn't make him think about transferring.  Really really don't want to miss seeing this kid as an upperclassmen. 

And QC I agree with everything you said about him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
I don't think Felix can shoot or score at this level, that's not a good for a shooting guard. Never saw max play, all I know is he played at a big hs. He got plenty of exposure and no one wanted him. He was at Harvard and didn't play. I will happily eat my words if both make an impact.

You are way off on Felix.  His upside is absurd.  He played with amazing pace for a freshman.  He was almost always under control and he showed me that he can be a menace scoring around the baseline. At worst, he will evolve into a shutdown defender and all-world rebounder out of the 2/3 spots.  He will be able to shutdown three positions and guard four.

I watched quite a few of his OSNA games and his shot--while certainly not pretty--was effective.  He also got into his shot without any hesitation and was looked at as a scorer.  I would not be shocked if he started draining them the next two years.  The problem is that he is surrounded by so much talent and experience right now.  He seems like a great redshirt option to me. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:40:10 PM by Marillac »

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

You are way off on Felix.  His upside is absurd.  He played with amazing pace for a freshman.  He was almost always under control and he showed me that he can be a menace scoring around the baseline. At worst, he will evolve into a shutdown defender and all-world rebounder out of the 2/3 spots.  He will be able to shutdown three positions and guard four.

I watched quite a few of his OSNA games and his shot--while certainly not pretty--was effective.  He also got into his shot without any hesitation and was looked at as a scorer.  I would not be shocked if he started draining them the next two years.  The problem is that he is surrounded by so much talent and experience right now.  He seems like a great redshirt option to me. 

Spot on Marillac

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »

Yes...I think once the game slows down for him his offense will improve significantly

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »

Retract my comments last year for taking you to task for stating that Amir was going to be an incredible player for us. Even incredible players are not necessarily all-world. (SMILEY FACE)

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »
Hope u guys are right

Poison

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
Felix can be a good scorer. He's physical, athletic, and he does have a nice tough around the basket. He is raw, but this is the kind of kid who after a couple of years is ready to start doing some damage. Jones showed that kind of upside, too. They are talented, but raw. I hope they both star here as seniors. I miss senior leaders. We used to have them all the time.