St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies
Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Didn't see much of Wisconsin last year.  I remember thinking Dekker is a stud and Brust can bomb away with the best of them.  Outside of that I don't know any of the other guys.  A faint memory of Gasser.  But Wisconsin is always solid.  Hopefully we can pull one out.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

LJSA

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »
Wow, an opposing fan coming to the board and not being a douche bag? Come back anytime.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 12:15:15 AM »
St.John's - 68
Wisconsin - 63

We have too much firepower, however, Wisconsin exposes what needs to become a much tougher front line.

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 03:04:25 AM »
With the new rules there might be 70+ combined points alone from free throws.

What new rules?  You mean points of emphasis?

jayro

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:52 AM »
Thank  you Badger_fan.
I am looking forward to the upcoming game.  I believe Wisc.  will be a very good test of where we are.  Wisc. is a team that has been very solid for awhile.  One of my concerns is how tough we will be up front and Wisc. should be a good benchmark test.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
Discount double check                      - 69
Uninsurable post Sandy flood risk  - 64

TQ

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
I saw the game is on B10, which i flipped on and I apparently get. Ive noticed in the past games like that get blacked out though...anyone know if we will get this?  Sort of glad i missed last nights near disaster, but I dont want to miss Friday night!

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
First point, love the Badger fan who posted here.  Wisconsin folks are quality.  Salt of the earth.

Second point, this posting on Ryan's philosophies makes me nervous:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12315/

I posted this about 5 minutes ago in a discussion re. the SFS game, but it should have been here.  Sorry about the repeat posting.  Our inability to penetrate the zone or shoot over it, plus our poor shots (Sampson shooting 3s), is exactly what Wisconsin will hope for.  And then they'll hold the ball and hit 3s (seems like we often get beat on those 3s just before the clock runs out).

The article notes the advantages to getting out to an early lead on a Wisconsin team to get them out of their strategy.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
Wisconsin will be as good of a coached team as we play this year.  Ryan is that good.  They have an identity, and his teams always play consistent with that.  We have to compete with the Badgers' toughness on the boards and make some outside shots.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:50 PM »
Wisconsin will be as good of a coached team as we play this year.  Ryan is that good.  They have an identity, and his teams always play consistent with that.  We have to compete with the Badgers' toughness on the boards and make some outside shots.

I agree 100%. Ryan is an excellent coach. We had better not treat that game like we did on Saturday. I know it was just an exhibition, but imagine what the 98-99 squad would have done to SFS. Think they would have phoned it in just because it was a D2 team? I think not.

desco80

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
What do you think the chances are that we're not running some of the normal sets and defense during these exhibitions because we don't want Wisconsin to have game tape of it?
Granted they can look at all the game film from last year, but I assume Whitesell was brought in to do things slightly differently. 

I only say this because reports were we played a 2-3 zone the whole time they were in Europe.  , and I didn't see any of it on Saturday. 

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
First point, love the Badger fan who posted here.  Wisconsin folks are quality.  Salt of the earth.

I posted this about 5 minutes ago in a discussion re. the SFS game, but it should have been here.  Sorry about the repeat posting.  Our inability to penetrate the zone or shoot over it, plus our poor shots (Sampson shooting 3s), is exactly what Wisconsin will hope for.  And then they'll hold the ball and hit 3s (seems like we often get beat on those 3s just before the clock runs out).

The article notes the advantages to getting out to an early lead on a Wisconsin team to get them out of their strategy.

That's just a terrible article. While some of it is true, it really disparages Bo Ryan's and his players' talents. It paints a picture that any team could be as successful (15 straight tournaments, only 2 first round exits, 1 E8, 3 S16s, multiple B10 regular season and tournament titles) as long as they slow down the pace. Here's the thing with a slow pace... it increases variance in results. So it's just as likely to result in unexpected losses as it is unexpected wins. There's no psychological motive to Ryan's tendencies, he's just playing to his own team's strengths. Not to mention, the team has sped up since then. Expect a pace similar to Pitt, Notre Dame, and Georgetown.

Before I get too worked up about that nice person, know that you don't have to worry about a zone. Bo Ryan's joke is that when he was coaching in the 70's, he switched to a zone after calling a timeout, and the other team scored on it the first possession... so his teams have never played or practiced a zone defense since. His man defense is designed to get opponents to take contested 2-point jumpers.

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 06:39:39 AM »

That's just a terrible article. While some of it is true, it really disparages Bo Ryan's and his players' talents. It paints a picture that any team could be as successful (15 straight tournaments, only 2 first round exits, 1 E8, 3 S16s, multiple B10 regular season and tournament titles) as long as they slow down the pace. Here's the thing with a slow pace... it increases variance in results. So it's just as likely to result in unexpected losses as it is unexpected wins. There's no psychological motive to Ryan's tendencies, he's just playing to his own team's strengths. Not to mention, the team has sped up since then. Expect a pace similar to Pitt, Notre Dame, and Georgetown.

Before I get too worked up about that nice person, know that you don't have to worry about a zone. Bo Ryan's joke is that when he was coaching in the 70's, he switched to a zone after calling a timeout, and the other team scored on it the first possession... so his teams have never played or practiced a zone defense since. His man defense is designed to get opponents to take contested 2-point jumpers.

Your last line scares the crap out of me. Nobody shoots contested 2's more than us. Literally.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
Bo - 67
Lavs - 57

I like our teams chances this year but this is a tough early season test in an environment that will be heavily badgers fans.  Will be a good loss to learn from.
"I drink and I know things"

MCNPA

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
Bo - 67
Lavs - 57

I like our teams chances this year but this is a tough early season test in an environment that will be heavily badgers fans.  Will be a good loss to learn from.

The environment won't be heavy anything.  The place seats like 3k people.  It's practically a high school gym.  It also isn't that close to Wisconsin.

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
Bo - 67
Lavs - 57

The environment won't be heavy anything.  The place seats like 3k people.  It's practically a high school gym.  It also isn't that close to Wisconsin.

It's a 6 hour straight drive on the highway so probably more like 5.  Unlike St. John's, Wisconsin kids go to their games.  That place will be packed with either Wisconsin supporters or students or both.  But yes it's tiny (3200), which doesn't mean that will make it any more of a helpful atmosphere --- smaller can sometimes be worse bc it will be packed for sure.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
What do you think the chances are that we're not running some of the normal sets and defense during these exhibitions because we don't want Wisconsin to have game tape of it?

What normal sets?

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
Thanks Badger_fan. Interesting and informative comments giving us a frame of reference as we watch the game.

However:
Redmen 73
Badgers 72.

Obekpa at the foul line with 3 seconds to go and us down by a point.
Obekpa ices both foul shots.
SJU victory.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:24:17 PM by qcredman »

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/dailyword131104/daily-word

1. What game Friday could end up being a résumé win come March?
Andy Katz: St. John's will have its chances for marquee wins but a neutral site victory over Wisconsin in Sioux Falls, S.D., could go a long way toward legitimizing the Red Storm early in the season. A win over the Badgers will have a lasting effect. Wisconsin is only going to be more formidable in March.

Anthony Gruppuso/USA TODAY Sports
Sophomore D'Angelo Harrison led St. John's in scoring last season.
C.L. Brown: Georgetown should be an NCAA tournament team regardless of Friday's outcome halfway around the globe against No. 19 Oregon. Should the Hoyas beat Oregon, it will be not only a big win for them, but it also would serve as an opening salvo for the revamped Big East.

Myron Medcalf: I think St. John's has the talent to earn an NCAA tourney slot. And a win over Wisconsin on Friday would be a big early boost for those postseason aspirations.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
Bo - 67
Lavs - 57

So who you think the locals are going to be rooting for?