First Three BE Games

• 55 replies

paultzman

First Three BE Games
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »
I believe it is crucial for SJU to have a decent start in League play. The initial three games are certainly challenging, with Xavier & GT on the road, followed by Nova at MSG. From my perspective, it would be great to sweep those games, but obviously improbable.  My sense, based on our play to date, is that winning one game is acceptable, grabbing two is great, but losing all three (certainly possible) would be a huge hole to dig out of.

My opinion is we win one of these initial games, which we can recover from, since this may be one of the most difficult stretches on the schedule.  I am particularly interested to see if we can become a good road team. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:55:36 PM by paultzman »

goredmen

Re: First Three BE Games
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
At Xavier might be the most winnable of the 3 at this point. A win in that one would be huge. We'd essentially be playing with house money in the next 2 if we take that one

redslope

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »
Xavier is going to be tough as it is their first BE game.  Their building will be very alive for this new experience for their fans and team.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:29:48 PM »
This team is to talented and experienced, to go 1-2 or 0-3.  The nova game is a must win along with  winning 1 of 2 on road  because we need to get a win over a top 25 team to be 1-2 against elite.  This team should be 3-0 to start b.e season. Albeit 3 tough games, both Xavier and grown are winnable regardless of where game is and I don't want to have to win @ nova later in season to rely on not getting swept by all standards right now, the best the big east offers.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:32:07 AM »
I would sign up for 1 and 2 right now.  And that's coming from someone who picked the out of conference win total square on the head. ( If we beat Dartmouth )

desco80

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
This team is to talented and experienced, to go 1-2 or 0-3.  The nova game is a must win along with  winning 1 of 2 on road  because we need to get a win over a top 25 team to be 1-2 against elite.  This team should be 3-0 to start b.e season. Albeit 3 tough games, both Xavier and grown are winnable regardless of where game is and I don't want to have to win @ nova later in season to rely on not getting swept by all standards right now, the best the big east offers.

Winnable games doesn't mean we "should" be 3-0, it means we "could" be 3-0.
I think we go 2-1, beat Nova but lose one of the road games.   No worse than 1-2 though.
But I would be shocked  (in a good way of course) if we end up 3-0.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »
I'm not able to look that far ahead, too many scenarios that can occur. All i'm focused on is @Xavier which will be a tough one. They have several very good players and have been very good on their home court. I would expect them to have a great crowd for their first Big East home game. We need to come out ready to play and sustain focus and intensity.

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »
I caught a little bit of the Xavier game that followed SJU.  This will be a very difficult game for SJU to win.  Xavier shoots 37.7 from three, they have a serious "load' in the middle who grabs more than 9 rebounds a game and the kid Semag Christon is lightening.  I don't think Dom or anyone else will be able to stay with him for long.  I have visions of X shooting a three and missing, but their center out muscles Sanchez for the rebound and then passes outside an uncontested three-ball and in it goes.  SJU will have to play well to get this one.  I have X as a 4 point favorite.

The Georgetown game looks like the best opportunity to win.  The Hoyas are not playing well.  I have Gtown as a 1 point favorite and Nova as a 8 point favorite.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:24:30 AM »
Xavier has only lost like 18 games at home in the past 10 years.  Odds dont look good but we arent playing the odds.  They are balanced and will be a very, very difficult game on the road.  That said, we will find out what we're made of in this stretch.

hnk

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
They are currently no Cuse or Wisky and we could have beaten either or both of them....of course, we didn't.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
Our destiny is certainly in our hands.  We are 9-3 and capable of beating everybody on our schedule if we play well.  Need to step up and keep winning.  Game by game.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
Got t o go 2-1. Have to make up the Penn. St game

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »
Got t o go 2-1. Have to make up the Penn. St game

2-1 going to be a tough order.  We don't "have" to to make up for PSU loss, but we could really set ourselves up well if we do.  I've always felt though, that the more games won early in the conference slate really makes the biggest difference down the stretch and takes a fair amount of pressure off.  Win early and you can really cement your place in the league instead of going into every game calculating what it will take to make the tourney.  Very tough stretch coming up. 

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
Tough order or not. we have to start strong. Cant lose every tough game. This is a huge season for us with the New big east.

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
Win the first one and the second one becomes much easier. Win the first two and I would bet we beat Nova at home with a very nice crowd on hand.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »
Xavier is a must win. They are preseason 7 in the big east. We have more talent and experienced team. It would be a  bad loss in my opinion. Good teams win this game. Tournament teams win this game.
G- town killed us last year. They lost their best player. We are better then last year. Think we have a good chance.
Nova- we should have beaten them last year. Haven't seen them this year.  Good teams win this game at home.

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »
Xavier is a must win. They are preseason 7 in the big east. We have more talent and experienced team. It would be a  bad loss in my opinion. Good teams win this game. Tournament teams win this game.
G- town killed us last year. They lost their best player. We are better then last year. Think we have a good chance.
Nova- we should have beaten them last year. Haven't seen them this year.  Good teams win this game at home.

Xavier being a bad loss???

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
Xavier doesn't win 6 games in old big east. They would be seeded 10th or lower. If we are good we have to win. No more excuses.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
Last year 5 NCAA Tournament teams lost at Xavier and Xavier didn't even make the NIT.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:10:23 PM by STJ11Redmen »

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
Xavier doesn't win 6 games in old big east. They would be seeded 10th or lower. If we are good we have to win. No more excuses.

They just waxed an OLD Big East team called Cincy a few weeks ago.  A Cincy team that has gone to the last 3 NCAA's in the OLD Big East.

I agree no excuses but let's talk after the 18 game conference schedule.  That's all I meant.