Lavin's Contract

• 162 replies
Re: Lavin's Contract
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
it doesn't matter if its a question of coaching or talent...the head coach is responsible for both.  i have always liked and supported lavin.  i think he carries himself in a positive and classy manner.  i thought he was going to bring us back to greatness.  but i no longer feel that way.  i wish him well.  i'm sure he has tried his best.  but it seems to me that he can't make it work for us.  as much as i hate to see yet another coaching change, i hope he goes next year.

hnk

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
Lavin should get a contract extension. i think that will become clear.  That is the big news that Baldi is referring too. He expects it to come soon.  I think it will take a little longer than Baldi expects.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »
Lavin should get a contract extension. i think that will become clear.  That is the big news that Baldi is referring too. He expects it to come soon.  I think it will take a little longer than Baldi expects.
like some one said you must be his agent!!!

hnk

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
Have you ever been to sausage factory?

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

Why are you going to lay an egg?

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Lavin may not be John Wooden, but I assume he must be concerned about the team to date. Is it possible that;

He regrets taking the job and just does not have energy level to succeed here.

Recruiting, his strong suit, requires year round attention & he no longer wants to do that. I know he has brought in some highly rated kids, but some fellow posters can attest to the fact we have been somewhat invisible on recruiting scene recently. Know we don't want to limit recruiting to local base, but I know for a fact Lav has not been active on that front, to dismay of local coaches with Div. 1 prospects.

Lastly, I wonder if his health scare, family loss or missing the Coast are factors. I could respect and accept that. However, if he has indeed lost his edge, hopefully he will be fair to a proud University that gave him a chance and compensated him well.

I may be entirely off base, often the case, but am just thinking out loud. Nothing would make me happier than deleting this post if we turn things around.

Foad

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
Lavin may not be John Wooden, but I assume he must be concerned about the team to date. Is it possible that;

Recruiting, his strong suit, requires year round attention & he no longer wants to do that. I know he has brought in some highly rated kids, but some fellow posters can attest to the fact we have been somewhat invisible on recruiting scene recently. Know we don't want to limit recruiting to local base, but I know for a fact Lav has not been active on that front, to dismay of local coaches with Div. 1 prospects.

Lastly, I wonder if his health scare, family loss or missing the Coast are factors. I could respect and accept that. However, if he has indeed lost his edge, hopefully he will be fair to a proud University that gave him a chance and compensated him well.

So to recap: he's too lazy to recruit and starting his walk-ons. How long before he shaves his head and starts hanging out at the track.

Moose

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »

So to recap: he's too lazy to recruit and starting his walk-ons. How long before he shaves his head and starts hanging out at the track.

And adds Steve Lavin II as an assistant coach?
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Here's my only problem with the notion of Lavin leaving after this season...

Is there anyone else banging down the doors to pay him $1mil to do anything?

A year or two ago there were rumors that USC was interested, and certainly he could've returned to ESPN.   But now?
I'm sure he could return to broadcasting, but I would imagine the salary wouldn't be comparable.   And I'm quite certain no other big program is willing to pay him to be a basketball coach.

desco80

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »

If you think he's in the process of molding something... then you're the only one.   

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
Here's my only problem with the notion of Lavin leaving after this season...

Is there anyone else banging down the doors to pay him $1mil to do anything?

A year or two ago there were rumors that USC was interested, and certainly he could've returned to ESPN.   But now?
I'm sure he could return to broadcasting, but I would imagine the salary wouldn't be comparable.   And I'm quite certain no other big program is willing to pay him to be a basketball coach.

Fair points on lack of opportunity & lower salary level.  If season implodes & prognosis for next year is guarded, he may be faced with some tough choices. Saturday should be interesting.

Tha Kid

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »

I may be entirely off base, often the case, but am just thinking out loud. Nothing would make me happier than deleting this post if we turn things around.

Great post.  Easy to forget all of the personal issues Coach has had to deal with over last 2 years.  It does not excuse him from his performance, but it would not be shocking either, for him to think that he'd get over it and he just realizes he doesn't have the same energy or passion as he did before.  If that indeed is the case then I hope, as you suggest, he realizes that and lets a proud University find someone who does have the passion and energy.  I also hope with Keady aboard, Keady is trying to snap him out of his funk slash advising him that there may be better options for him at season's end if he doesn't have it.  Always tough when there is no guaranteed similar payday if you leave your present job though...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
I still think he believes he has something to prove

desco80

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »

If he thought he had something to prove then he would 1) not screw with the starting lineup as much as he is , and 2)put more time and effort into recruiting.

We have a coach who might be burnt-out after 3 1/2 seasons.   Unbelievable
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:34:28 PM by desco80 »

hnk

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 12:33:08 PM »
Lavin quitting?  Lavin getting fired?  I think many of you have lost your perspective encouraged by people on the site who are not really St. John's fans.  An 0-3 start with the schedule we have is not the end of the world...unless one makes it so.   And yes i do believe Coach Lavin is in the midst of building a program if you guys don't run him out of town (unlikely.)   None of know what is up his sleeve....we only know we lost two tough road games and were inconsistent.   Think about it only weeks ago, the site was talking about us losing three key players to the NBA next year.  Let the season play out.   When Coach lowered expectations until Feb., he had probably taken the time to look at the January schedule.

I do think he is molding a program and I am sure I am not the only one.

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

If he thought he had something to prove, and if he still had the fire and desire; then he would 1) not screw with the starting lineup as much as he is doing, and 2)put more time and effort into recruiting.

Concerns me as well but I would like to see how everything plays out before I throw him under the bus 

desco80

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

If he thought he had something to prove, and if he still had the fire and desire; then he would 1) not screw with the starting lineup as much as he is doing, and 2)put more time and effort into recruiting.

Concerns me as well but I would like to see how everything plays out before I throw him under the bus 

You are correct in that regard,  his obituary has not yet been written.   There is more basketball to be played.  Quite a bit actually.
The signs are troubling, but maybe they are misleading.

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
My bi-polar is acting up.  I think it is triggered by reading these sites.

jr49

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »

Mr.P, if the team was 2-0 in conference would you have written this post?

jr49

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Great post.  Easy to forget all of the personal issues Coach has had to deal with over last 2 years.  It does not excuse him from his performance, but it would not be shocking either, for him to think that he'd get over it and he just realizes he doesn't have the same energy or passion as he did before.  If that indeed is the case then I hope, as you suggest, he realizes that and lets a proud University find someone who does have the passion and energy.  I also hope with Keady aboard, Keady is trying to snap him out of his funk slash advising him that there may be better options for him at season's end if he doesn't have it.  Always tough when there is no guaranteed similar payday if you leave your present job though...
Proud university it is, but surely not regarding its hoops program over the last decade. Four thousand people at MSG, and twenty five hundred at the Carn. Back to back loses to Ill. state. Multiple loses to Hofstra.  Losing to St. Frances the night Louie got the joint named after him.  Losing at home to Niagara. I have gone on enough. If not for the neglect that went on we never would have brought in a guy from the booth to put on the bench. That was after being turned down by guys who were coming off their own failures. At the time of the hire plenty of fans, some even here, felt lucky to get Steve. If coach makes mistakes, he's sure not the only one. Now we see how it plays out. For those talking about having coach put away, get a grip. Saying the guy can't coach a lick , if thats what you think, does the job.