Is Steve Lavin really that good of a recruiter or......

• 32 replies
Is Steve Lavin really that good of a recruiter or......
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
Did the circumstances of the time make it seem so?

I know I am going to catch a lot of crap from this post especially from the newbees who have only followed the program for the last 10 years or so but here goes.

Point 1.  The argument that Lavin has a great track record from UCLA as a great recruiter.

It is well known that the Marquee names of many programs is what brings in the talent. Take Norm Roberts.  He arrived at St. John's with the rep as a great recruiter having assembled enormous talent at Kansas, yet how successful were his recruiting efforts at ST. John's, especially on the local scene.  It was the KANSAS name that brought in the recruits but our administration was bamboozled to think otherwise.

Point 2

Everyone likes to hang onto Lavins first two recruited classes. Well, there is no denying that his first class was exceptional with several top 100 players, but so was Bryan Mahoneys who has  been much maligned on this site from many posters. You may recall that in his first class, Mahoney brought in Felipe Lopez, consensus #1 player in the country, Zendon Hamilton, top 10 and highest rated center and Roshown MCloud( I believe he was in this class), a sure fire NBA prospect and highly rated power forward, who subsequently transferred, and fortunately for him, to Duke.  Was Mahoney a great recruiter....No because in subsequent years, his recruiting tailed off. 

Perhaps Lavins first recruited class was not just about a humongous effort on his part but the new HYPE associated with the program as it was for Mahoney, Frashilla, with the Artest,Felton Class etc.  Now let's consider Lavins second class whose top recruit was Jakarr, who was actually a recruit from the first class.  Obekpa who was a last minute deal in the spring and Sanchez who has yet to pan out.  His third class was one player, Rysheed Jordan.  Lavin supporters will tell you that there were no others schollies available but the truth is that Lavin struck out on over 20 recruits he was after. Had he landed any of them, we all know that room would have been made.  And now there is this year, zilch.

We're Lavin to sign a top 10 class in the 2015 class, we would all be delighted as I would be shocked at this point, but even with such a class we would go back to the "youngest team in America" quotes , as the excuses would once again pile up.

The bottom line is this, the sign of a great recruiter is CONSISTENCY, something yet to be shown by coach in the recruiting arena at this time. A great recruiter/ coach/organization RELOADS where needed, does not replace sporadically or en mass.

I would welcome any CIVIL responses or disagreement.

Thanks

Re: Is Steve Lavin really that good of a recruiter or......
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
He is better than your boy Norm

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
There are legit gripes about Lavin. Recruiting has not been one of them.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »
  Lavin's recruiting, on the surface, produced seemingly good talent but, several of the  recruits never enrolled, transferred or, have played below their press clippings.

I think the criticism  has been the prototype Lavin player is more athlete than basketball player. That was  also is mantra at UCLA , where there fans thought he got to the Sweet 16 with Final 4 Talent.

He doesn't seem to recruit with a team objective, kind of like, just get the best athlete regardless. As a result, players don't have complimentary skills or aren't well rounded players, capable of executing the rebounding, playmaking, shooting, defending as a Unit.

I won't go into the individual skills of the current team but, as a Unit they don't execute the requisite fundamentals that a team needs.

And, he doesn't seem interested in good shooting players, except as role players. And, I'm dunmbfounded why he doesn't get more Local NY talent?  This National Recruiting works to a extent but, our foundation has always been the local kids. He's struck out on more than a few or, wasn't interested enough..

I don't buy the theory that NY Hs talent isn't up to BE standards..

ras

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
Of course hes a great recruiter. His UCLA classes were usually in the top 3,he had multiple number 1 classes there. Nobody wanted to come here and he got us plenty of talent. The question is,  can he put the talent together, improve the players and have good game strategy?

boo3

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »
 Yes, he's a great recruiter.  Even the great Kob has said " know one is better than Lavin in the living room"  and that includes Cal...   Hope I didn't paraphrase too bad, Kob!..

The question is molding the talent into a team.. We haven't seen evidence of that yet.. The clocking is running.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
At the end of each recruiting class that lavin has been involved in, has anyone been unhappy?

Year 1: Polee, in late march. Who wasnt happy?

Year 2: Dlo, Mo, and crew. Some didnt make it. Still who was not Happy?

Year 3: Jakarr, Chris, Sanchez and crew. Who was not happy?

Year 4: Rysheed Jordan with our only ship. Anyone not happy?

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
Recruiting is not the problem.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »

Year 1: Polee, in late march. Who wasnt happy?

Those who wanted Ron Roberts ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
Pick on Lavin for a lot of things...recruiting not being one. CRGREEN must be spinning in his grave.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
Are you just trying to hit a new low with each thread?

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »
Yes, he's a great recruiter.  Even the great Kob has said " know one is better than Lavin in the living room"  and that includes Cal...   Hope I didn't paraphrase too bad, Kob!..

The question is molding the talent into a team.. We haven't seen evidence of that yet.. The clocking is running.

That was Choz who said that,  otherwise, the quote is pretty accurate.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
Pick on Lavin for a lot of things...recruiting not being one. CRGREEN must be spinning in his grave.

Really missing his reasonable and logical perspective at a time like this.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »

Dammit... Sorry Choz.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
My favorite Choz quote was from BEB when he called Baldi the "voice of reason" during the Norm years :)

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »

Choz has not posted on here since Mo Hicks left the program...   hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. .  ha ha ha ha h

Moose

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »

Choz has not posted on here since Mo Hicks left the program...   hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. .  ha ha ha ha h

Honest question because I have no idea.
Did Choz post BEFORE Mo Hicks joined the program?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »

Honest question because I have no idea.
Did Choz post BEFORE Mo Hicks joined the program?

yes
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »
I have a feeling Choz is back coaching at the AAU ranks.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
Recruiting is not the problem.

So one recruit in the last two classes for a team that may potentially lose an entire front line is great recruiting?