Is Steve Lavin really that good of a recruiter or......

• 32 replies
Re: Is Steve Lavin really that good of a recruiter or......
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:58 PM »
Newsflash--there are a limited number of scholarships a team can have...and this years class isn't complete...

Poison

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
Recruiting is not the problem.

So one recruit in the last two classes for a team that may potentially lose an entire front line is great recruiting?

You are confusing recruiting with something else. I'm not sure what. Lavin has brought more talent here than any coach since Lou. He has out recruited an endless list of high major programs. Whether he can bring that group together is another question. It has nothing to do with recruiting. Jordan, Sampson and Obekpa are all underclassmen. No team in our league has 3 underclassmen at their level. So, he's out recruited the BE conference. I'm not even sure it's close.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
Yes, he's a great recruiter.  Even the great Kob has said " know one is better than Lavin in the living room"  and that includes Cal...   Hope I didn't paraphrase too bad, Kob!..

The question is molding the talent into a team.. We haven't seen evidence of that yet.. The clocking is running.

That was Choz who said that,  otherwise, the quote is pretty accurate.

Choz has not posted on here since Mo Hicks left the program...   hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. .  ha ha ha ha h

For awhile i was convinced Choz was Mo H, then I remembered Choz posting during road games when Mo was visible on the bench on tv.   (And not holding his cellphone haha)

Either way I liked Choz a lot, he had a unique perspective and I would truly like to hear his thoughts on the current state of things at SJU.  I'm sure it would be interesting

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »
I love Lavin as a recruiter.  Is there anything to him not being as active as usual on the recruiting trail locally?  I read this article today and it appears as though Seton Hall is really making some headway especially in NJ.  Additionally, the comments about Briscoe don't look great for St John's, although I know a kid that age changes his mind every other hour.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/whitehead-working-on-briscoe-to-seton-hall-slew-of-jersey-recruits-watch-seton-hall/

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
Yes, he's a great recruiter.  Even the great Kob has said " know one is better than Lavin in the living room"  and that includes Cal...   Hope I didn't paraphrase too bad, Kob!..

The question is molding the talent into a team.. We haven't seen evidence of that yet.. The clocking is running.

That was Choz who said that,  otherwise, the quote is pretty accurate.

Choz has not posted on here since Mo Hicks left the program...   hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. .  ha ha ha ha h

For awhile i was convinced Choz was Mo H, then I remembered Choz posting during road games when Mo was visible on the bench on tv.   (And not holding his cellphone haha)

Either way I liked Choz a lot, he had a unique perspective and I would truly like to hear his thoughts on the current state of things at SJU.  I'm sure it would be interesting

It was a joke. .     Choz has actually made fun of me for saying he was Mo Hicks.

I miss some of his posts but he did leave the site when Mo left the program.

ras

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
I always enjoyed Chozs posts. Back to recruiting ,what worries me is this is not 2010. The talk of the future is meaning less w each passing year. Future recruits look at player development ,coaching skills and like to play on a winning team. Unless we turn the corner the previous will be a negative.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:28:42 PM by ras »

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
While I'm a bit disappointed with how we are playing right now, I don't think we are far behind where we should be.  Hopefully, the season improves.  I'm optimistic that Whitesell's addition to the staff will start to pay dividends.  It took a while for Dunlap's teachings to take hold.  Let's give it a chance.

Seton Hall has been awful the last few years and Willard has managed to bring a good recruiting class for next year.  I think Lavin will be alright. 

Player development and sending kids to the NBA attracts recruits.  Lavin just needs to send some players into the pros and the recruits will come.  If he doesn't do that, and we don't win consistently, then the highly ranked kids won't come.  But at this point, I have no reason to doubt his recruiting abilities.

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
While I'm a bit disappointed with how we are playing right now, I don't think we are far behind where we should be.  Hopefully, the season improves.  I'm optimistic that Whitesell's addition to the staff will start to pay dividends.  It took a while for Dunlap's teachings to take hold.  Let's give it a chance.

Seton Hall has been awful the last few years and Willard has managed to bring a good recruiting class for next year.  I think Lavin will be alright. 

Player development and sending kids to the NBA attracts recruits.  Lavin just needs to send some players into the pros and the recruits will come.  If he doesn't do that, and we don't win consistently, then the highly ranked kids won't come.  But at this point, I have no reason to doubt his recruiting abilities.

Respect your opinion and judgment re Lav being capable recruiter. No argument there, but disagree on the player development issue, at least in his time here.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »
Well, Paultzman, I didn't take a position one way or another on the player development issue.  I think it is key to recruiting.  I would agree that it has been lacking thus far.  Hopefully, he starts putting more kids in the pro ranks, especially the NBA.

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 12:28:51 PM »
Mahoney-Very good recruiter, overmatched coach, seemed like nice guy

Fran- Very good recruiter, decent coach, crazy

Jarvis-Lazy recruiter, despite the fact that he coached the most enjoyable tem in our history-indifferent coach? Bad, obnoxious guy

Norm-Bad recruiter, terrible, boring coach, by all accounts he was Will Rogers

Lavin-Very good recruiter, weak coach morphing into a crazy one, reminds me of a used car salesman

For what it is worth I could care less what kind of guy the coach is and I would prefer a strong X and O guy to a recruiter. The funny thing is I have lower standards than most as far as expectations. Get me 17-20 wins a year a tourney invite every 3 years or so and I would be golden no matter who or what kind of coach we have.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:30:09 PM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
Well, Paultzman, I didn't take a position one way or another on the player development issue.  I think it is key to recruiting.  I would agree that it has been lacking thus far.  Hopefully, he starts putting more kids in the pro ranks, especially the NBA.

Agree, Thx!

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 01:08:27 AM »
I always enjoyed Chozs posts. Back to recruiting ,what worries me is this is not 2010. The talk of the future is meaning less w each passing year. Future recruits look at player development ,coaching skills and like to play on a winning team. Unless we turn the corner the previous will be a negative.
Dat dare is wissdum!  ;) :)

desco80

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
Dat dare is wissdum!  ;) :)

I know that's true to some extent, but I think they're really looking for playing time.   
When Lav has a lot to offer - he lands guys.   When he doesn't.. there's not much action on the recruiting front.   
The Jordan signing was an exception, and a great job by coach -- seeing as we had so many guards returning.