I take it all back

• 50 replies

Marillac

Re: I take it all back
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »
The hope is Lavin is right and we crushed a team that has been spanking is for years and was picked to finish first. Not only are appear to actually be "gelling" on 1 Feb, but we crushed a legit team

One quick question will Marquette be in the field of 69 this year?? 

It's the field of 68, dirt bag.
I kid, I kid.

You are an awfully negative poster.  You'd never know we were in the middle of a very solid five game run.  Why don't you just "pipe down" until they lose.  They probably will soon enough, and then you can get right back up on your soapbox and tell the whole world how Slick Steve can't coach, the players suck, and how the sky is falling.

The Mets fan in me can't help but feel optimistic.  They started out with three of the first four and five of the first eight games on the road, with most coming against the top five teams in the league.  The last ten games (including Marquette) are awesome for a team looking to get on a roll.  The one game that really has me worried is @ Providence.  After that, there is a perfect mix of patsies and resume builders.  Home games against Butler, Xavier, Depaul, a struggling Smith-less Gtown  team, and the #10 RPI ranked team that only beat us by a buzzer beater in front of a 17,000+ homecourt advantage?  You can't draw that up any better.  Then, the road games include bottom-dweller SH and a team we just destroyed yesterday that will have absolutely no reason to play the last game of the season. Then the resume-builder, in late February...a chance at retribution against Nova.  Nice. 

CO is finally stepping up.  GG is killing it with his hustle. Jordan and Branch are both getting big minutes and hitting stride.  Harrison looks sharp.  Greene is off the ball more.  Pointer and Sanchez have smaller roles.  A rotation is emerging, and the guys are developing chemistry. All good signs.

Beat Providence Tuesday and this season opens back up.

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
Just curious......You say they are not a legit team, so do you believe Buzz is a terrible coach? They were picked to finish first by the coaches poll. Clearly many believed they have the talent to warrant first place consideration based on their pre season ranking. 

Shabazz Mohammed was the #1 rated prospect and the so called top overall pick in the NBA draft before last year and how did that work out for him?

Preseason rankings and predictions don't always go accordingly and that is why they are predictions.  Marquette is a bad basketball team this year lets not try to sugar coat it and make it any different.  They have beaten one semi decent team that probably wont make the tournament when they have had 10 tries.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:04 AM »
My question to all the negative posters, are you guys gonna continue to post about the bad big east start to season?  All I read is how bad lavin is and this guy is and that guy is, yet the team has won four of 5 and who cares who they played and beat, it's still 4 of 5.  Plus the one loss was at creighton by 3 and yes it was a loss but the second half carried over to Marquette game and we crushed them.  As fans we absolutely should be getting excited again as the season is halfway through in conference with marquee games against nova, prov, creighton, grown and Xavier.  All games winnable  and can allow team to make huge strides not only in moving up in conference but also in rpi and SOS. Not to mention the fact, that we will have 5 home games vs the 4 we had to start conference play.

All the teams mentioned above, most if not all expected to split with and a chance to sweep shu, marq and butler.  For reasons like this, we should get excited again and it starts with providence on Tuesday.   

hnk

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
Agree...where have you been a voice of reason...we win the next two we are back on the bubble  and just wait til next year

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »
I really don't know what to make of this team.  At times they look more talented than anyone in the league and other times they are downright pathetic.  It's clear that Lavin can't win the close ones and it will be those, barring a minor miracle that keep us out of the dance. Still, it's fun to kick a little arse when it happens.  Marquette had no chance Saturday and I think we stand a chance against anyone going forward.  That's at least some progress.  I'm happy for the kids but it's still a house of cards in a hurricane until they step up against someone good. PC fills that bill quite nicely.  February is fingers crossed month and it's nice to see the season still breathing at this stage.  Go get 'em Redmen!  Make us proud of you and attract some recruits and fans for 2014/15.. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
Just curious......You say they are not a legit team, so do you believe Buzz is a terrible coach? They were picked to finish first by the coaches poll. Clearly many believed they have the talent to warrant first place consideration based on their pre season ranking. 

Shabazz Mohammed was the #1 rated prospect and the so called top overall pick in the NBA draft before last year and how did that work out for him?

Preseason rankings and predictions don't always go accordingly and that is why they are predictions.  Marquette is a bad basketball team this year lets not try to sugar coat it and make it any different.  They have beaten one semi decent team that probably wont make the tournament when they have had 10 tries.

Your point on Marquette being a bad team is based on their record and who they beat. I'm not debating whether they are a bad team or not, I agree they are not a good team, but the question I posed to you that you did not answer is are they a bad team because of Buzz Williams inablilty to coach?

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
Doomed?  Maybe, Maybe Not.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
Regardless of the strength of the opponent, WE are playing better.   Marquette and Butler are no worse than Depaul or Penn State, and we couldn't beat them let alone win convincingly.   Say what you want about Marquette being down this season, but you could take away the scoreboard and anyone with eyes would tell you this team is playing better.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »

UCLA, upon his activation, started to win a lot of games, and then they made the tournament, and won a game, I believe.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
My question to all the negative posters, are you guys gonna continue to post about the bad big east start to season?  All I read is how bad lavin is and this guy is and that guy is, yet the team has won four of 5 and who cares who they played and beat, it's still 4 of 5.  Plus the one loss was at creighton by 3 and yes it was a loss but the second half carried over to Marquette game and we crushed them.  As fans we absolutely should be getting excited again as the season is halfway through in conference with marquee games against nova, prov, creighton, grown and Xavier.  All games winnable  and can allow team to make huge strides not only in moving up in conference but also in rpi and SOS. Not to mention the fact, that we will have 5 home games vs the 4 we had to start conference play.

All the teams mentioned above, most if not all expected to split with and a chance to sweep shu, marq and butler.  For reasons like this, we should get excited again and it starts with providence on Tuesday.   

Please don't tell us that the team has won 4-5 when one of those wins was against Dartmouth. I'll admit, I'm in the camp that thinks we should fire Lavin because he's a lousy game coach, and a lousy teacher. I'm not ready to give up, but really what choice do I have if I've already paid for my tickets?

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »
Regardless of the strength of the opponent, WE are playing better.   Marquette and Butler are no worse than Depaul or Penn State, and we couldn't beat them let alone win convincingly.   Say what you want about Marquette being down this season, but you could take away the scoreboard and anyone with eyes would tell you this team is playing better.

Penn State has just won three straight after winning @Ohio State and beating Purdue by 11 last week.  They've actually had a really good seven game stretch in a ridiculous league:  they lost to Purdue by 1, Indiana and Minnesota by 3 each, and @ #10 Michigan by 13.

The problem is this won't likely continue, as they have one of the most menacing remaining schedules in the country.  The Big 10 is absurd this year.  Every team was inside the RPI top 100 as of Sunday.