LAVIN ON WFAN

• 56 replies
Re: LAVIN ON WFAN
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
I don't know.  I listened to the interview and it didn't seem like there were any excuses or "blame" assigned to anyone.. Seemed a fair assessment of what took place.

We certainly did not rely on Jordan in the beginning.  He did use the other options, Greene etc... and the results were lousy.  Once Jordan got comfortable and acclimated, the team took off.

Seems simple and straight forward to me.   Just goes to show,  whatever your preconceived notions are, you can end up hearing what you want to hear, regardless of actual content.
Agree with you boo! My comment was based on what some posters said and before I listened for myself. Didn't sound like excuse making. Mea culpa! Should have listened for myself before commenting.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Being and staying an optimist. this was a great recruiting day, and getting the SJU brand out and open for Lavin.

Making the Sports Pope care about his SJU is one thing, but to make him say nice things about the program does not matter how accurate it is)  is completely another! Having the #1 sports talk show give praise about the program creates great local buzz for fans and recruits.

Lavin spreading the SJU brand national on SVP after a great win is just smart! he went local and national in the same day.

Just trying to stay positive.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »
I really don't think he struggled as much as he wasn't given the opportunity.

Revisionist history.  Playing Rysheed early on would have resulted in additional bracket busting out of conference losses.  Kid really sucked a$$ in the beginning.  Not even close to being ready from the get go.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
Having the #1 sports talk show give praise about the program creates great local buzz for fans and recruits.

Recruits don't listen to sports talk radio.  That's an old mans pastime.  It does create a local buzz for fans and couldn't hurt attendance and tv ratings wise.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »

Revisionist history.  Playing Rysheed early on would have resulted in additional bracket busting out of conference losses.  Kid really sucked a$$ in the beginning.  Not even close to being ready from the get go.

Nope many of us were saying give him the ball and let him go. I and I have been saying Phil Greene can't play point for 3 years. Yet there he was again at start of the season. 

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:12 AM »
Being and staying an optimist. this was a great recruiting day, and getting the SJU brand out and open for Lavin.

Making the Sports Pope care about his SJU is one thing, but to make him say nice things about the program does not matter how accurate it is)  is completely another! Having the #1 sports talk show give praise about the program creates great local buzz for fans and recruits.

Lavin spreading the SJU brand national on SVP after a great win is just smart! he went local and national in the same day.

This is a good post.  No one in our history, including Looie, spreads the brand nationwide better than Lavin.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
No one in our history, including Looie, spreads the brand better than Lavin.

You misspelled fertilizer.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

This is a good post.  No one in our history, including Looie, spreads the brand nationwide better than Lavin.

Except for maybe our HOF coach and that other HOF coach who coached here before that 1st HOF coach. When Lou was here for example, even in the years where we won a messily 22 games and lost 11, tickets were hard to come by. I recall watching us play regular and post season games on national TV with regularity. That, is how you spread the brand in sports. Win.

You certainly weren't getting offers from MSG about $10 seats or bogo offers.

hnk

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
Are there ten dollar seats  available for Sunday.? I  need two extra, thanks.

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

Nope many of us were saying give him the ball and let him go. I and I have been saying Phil Greene can't play point for 3 years. Yet there he was again at start of the season. 

Nope - The kid didn't suck early on? or nope we wouldn't have lost additional games if we just "give him the ball" to a player that wasn't ready to take it?

I'm well aware of what people were saying and of your opinion of Phil Greene.

Moose

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
Are there ten dollar seats  available for Sunday.? I  need two extra, thanks.

Can't Lavin get you a pair?  Being agent and all :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
Not for ten.  I don't like to take advantage.   I heard though there were some decent seats in Section 108.....

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »

Nope - The kid didn't suck early on? or nope we wouldn't have lost additional games if we just "give him the ball" to a player that wasn't ready to take it?

The day Jordan was born he was a better point guard than Greene is now so yes not only would we be better off then, Jordan would be more advanced earlier in the season and I am giving us 2 more wins at this point.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:58:58 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »

Except for maybe our HOF coach and that other HOF coach who coached here before that 1st HOF coach. When Lou was here for example, even in the years where we won a messily 22 games and lost 11, tickets were hard to come by. I recall watching us play regular and post season games on national TV with regularity. That, is how you spread the brand in sports. Win.

You certainly weren't getting offers from MSG about $10 seats or bogo offers.
I believe we cannot fairly compare then and now.  Even some programs that are winning have trouble filling all their seats.  Even some sold seats are not filling up, as in the Terps-FSU game this weekend.  I saw hundreds upon hundreds of unfilled lower tier seats.  Georgetown is having a lot of trouble filling up the lower bowl of Verizon for Beast games.  In general, many younger "semi-casual" observers of basketball do not appear to have the same constancy of seeing a sizeable amount of games imho.  But win 25-30 games per year and make it a hotter ticket, the lemmings will come in better numbers - I won't dispute that.  I just wonder if the level of interest of viewing live college ball will ever be the level of the previous eras. 

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Roselle (NJ) Catholic Clinic April 11 w/ Larry Brown, Steve Lavin, Mick Cronin, Jim Larranaga, Eddie Jordan, Mark Gottfried & Kevin Ollie

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »

The day Jordan was born he was a better point guard than Greene is now so yes not only would we be better off then, Jordan would be more advanced earlier in the season and I am giving us 2 more wins at this point.

I see your point.  I think that was Hollywood's plan in the beginning as evidenced by the 24 min. he played in his first game against Wisc.  Only departing once he had fouled out.  He stunk in that game and his play closely resembled a deer in headlights.  Second game against Wagner he was even worse.  After these two he was shooting 12% from the field and 0% from 3.  I think Lavin got scared at this point and correctly concluded that the savior was not yet ready and had best be brought along a little more slowly.

After his 1st six he was shooting 23% from the field and 14% from 3 with 9 turnovers in limited minutes.  You love shooting.  Ordinarily you would be slamming a player with these numbers even if other aspects of his game, and they didn't at that point, resembled John Stockton.

Add the facts that he missed one game for "a violation of team rules" and missed another for an "ailing mother" in only his first eleven games......It is what it is.

Lavin can be knocked for many reasons. Not handing the keys over to a kid that's been drinking shots and doesn't yet have a drivers license, shouldn't be one of them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:49:16 PM by carmineabbatiello »

boo3

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
 Jordan, in the beginning, had a really bad habit of getting into foul trouble very quickly.. Led to hi sitting for large stretches early on. This left Lavin with the choice of Branch or Greene at the PG.  Lavs obviously likes Greene more, or at least did at the time.

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

Ummm...He must've popped out with a pair of Nikes on.  Now I feel like a bad parent my kid is 10 months old and he can't even walk.  I'm such a failure...

ras

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
It's.   true Lavin is good at PR. But nothing is better than winning.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »

I see your point.  I think that was Hollywood's plan in the beginning as evidenced by the 24 min. he played in his first game against Wisc.  Only departing once he had fouled out.  He stunk in that game and his play closely resembled a deer in headlights.  Second game against Wagner he was even worse.  After these two he was shooting 12% from the field and 0% from 3.  I think Lavin got scared at this point and correctly concluded that the savior was not yet ready and had best be brought along a little more slowly.

After his 1st six he was shooting 23% from the field and 14% from 3 with 9 turnovers in limited minutes.  You love shooting.  Ordinarily you would be slamming a player with these numbers even if other aspects of his game, and they didn't at that point, resembled John Stockton.

Add the facts that he missed one game for "a violation of team rules" and missed another for an "ailing mother" in only his first eleven games......It is what it is.

Lavin can be knocked for many reasons. Not handing the keys over to a kid that's been drinking shots and doesn't yet have a drivers license, shouldn't be one of them.

I am guessing you were also a big Bobby Kelly and Mike Moses fan. Two other point guards that started over clearly better players.