Devon Collier - C - All Hallows HS - Bronx, NY - OREGON STATE

• 81 replies

gonzalo

Re: Devon Collier - C - All Hallows HS - Bronx, NY
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/03/collier-talks-st-johns-seton-hall/

Devon Collier is in high demand in the Big East and he’s touring the local schools to check them out.

The 6-foot-7 senior forward from St. Anthony visited Seton Hall on Wednesday and St. John’s on Thursday and plans to attend the Cincinnati-Rutgers football game on Monday.

Ranked No. 134 in the Class of 2010 by Rivals, Collier visited St. John’s with New Heights athletic director Kimani Young.

“The St. John’s visit was better than I expected,” Collier said. “I was able to see the campus. The campus was nice. I explored the whole campus and it was a nice experience.”

Collier met with St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts and talked with several players, including Justin Burrell, Malik Booth, Omari Lawrence and Dwight Hardy.

Coach Roberts said he liked Collier’s versatility and ability to play both forward spots.

“He said I could play the wing. I would be a mismatch forward,” Collier said.

A day earlier, Adam Berkowitz of New Heights took Collier to South Orange, N.J. to see Bobby Gonzalez and Seton Hall.

“It was good. Seton Hall was better than I expected also,” Collier said. “I was able to see the campus, the campus was big.

“I met with the teammates. I saw the arena [Prudential Center]. I met with the AD [Joe Quinlan]. He told me about the school.”

Earlier in the week, Seton Hall also hosted Collier’s AAU teammate, JayVaughn Pinkston of Bishop Loughlin.

Going forward, Collier lists Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Maryland, Arizona, Oregon State, Rutgers and Michigan State as options.

“I don’t have a favorite,” he said.

Michigan State just reached out “a few days ago” and could come to an open gym at St. Anthony next week.

On Monday, Collier with visit the newly refurbished Rutgers Stadium to watch Greg Schiano’s team meet the Bearcats in a Big East football tilt.

Several teammates, including Ashton Pankey and Elijah Carter, are slated to join him.

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/09/22/college-commitment-projections-september-edition-part-4.aspx

Devon Collier, PF, 6'7, St. Anthony's (NJ), #117
Favorite: Rutgers
2nd in Line: St. John's
3rd in Line: Seton Hall
Watch Out for: Maryland
The New York City native is beginning to narrow down his college list, and Rutgers, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Maryland all seem to be in good shape. It is tough to tell which program is at the top of his list, but as of now it appears that the big man will wind up in the Big East. If Collier does decide to head to another conference, expect it to be the ACC to go to Maryland. Gary Williams is searching for a class of 2010 big man and has targeted both Collier and his high school/AAU teammate Ashton Pankey. The Terrapins are very much in position to land Collier, but look to be a bit behind the local Big East schools. Devon seems to be a kid who wants to stay close to home, which puts St. John's in good position. New Heights coach Kimani Young was recently employed by the Red Storm, befoer having to step down for family reasons. Collier would be a major get for Norm Roberts, who has done a very good job recruiting players from the Big Apple. If Collier opts to stay in New Jersey, where he will be for his final two years of high school, Rutgers may have the upper hand on Seton Hall. In fact, RU might be a slim leader for Collier at this point. Bob Hurley has a good relationship with the program, and Collier would also be a huge coup for the Scarlet Knights. SHU is certainly in contention too, and the big man enjoyed his unofficial visit to the school recently. When all is said and done, expect Collier to be playing at a Big East school in either NY or NJ, and right now I would say Rutgers is the favorite to land him.

LJSA

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »
Collier down to four schools:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/02/collier-down-to-four-schools-konchalski-talks-pinkston-collier-pankey-smith-morgan-moore/#more-22774

Devon Collier’s list is now down to four schools, with Maryland out of the mix.

“The schools that have been recruiting him the hardest are St. John’s, Seton Hall, Providence and Oregon State,” said New Heights coach Adam Berkowitz.

Maryland will get visits from Collier’s St. Anthony teammate, Ashton Pankey, Oct. 16 and Long Island forward Tobias Harris sometime in November.

Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson, Barack Obama’s brother-in-law, is out today to watch the 6-foot-8 Collier during a workout at St. Anthony.

After that visit, Berkowitz and Collier will plan visits.

“Oregon State has come out here four Fridays in a row, flown cross-country to see him,” Berkowitz said. “That indicates a really strong degree of interest on their part.”

Check out the Video Player at right where Tom Konchalski discusses Collier and New Heights teammates Jayvaughn Pinkston and Ashton Pankey, as well as South Kent players Russell Smith, J.J. Moore and Jesse Morgan.

“Russell Smith is as under-recruited player at least as there is on the East Coast,” Konchalski said. “This year he’s just making other people better. He’s a big-time player.”

Tom also talked about Harris, Kyrie Irving and Andre Drummond…so stay on the Video Player for that knowledge.

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
Per "Zags" Devon was oncampus for an "Official" yesterday or today.
But per Zags, Oregon & Providence lead.

Anyone know ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:03:27 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »
Per "Zags" Devon was oncampus for an "Official" yesterday or today.
But per Zags, Oregon & Providence lead.

Anyone know ?

If you've been following the process every time Devon ends an official that school jumps into the top tier.  In other words so far he has only done officials to Oregon and Providence.  Most telling will be what he has to say after leaving SJU (and Seton Hall).

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »
collier was on campus today.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/25/pinkston-collier-to-wrap-up-visits-at-seton-hall-harris-barnes-nova-updates/

JayVaughn Pinkston and Devon Collier of New Heights will wrap up their visits with a trip to Seton Hall next weekend.

Pinkston, a 6-foot-6 forward from Bishop Loughlin, and Collier, a 6-8 forward out of St. Anthony (N.J.), are slated to be on hand when Seton Hall plays Carleton University in an exhibition at Walsh Gym.

Pinkston and Collier were both at St. John’s this weekend, Pinkston for Midnight Madness, Collier for an official visit.

As for Collier, he has now visited Oregon State, Providence and St. John’s, and taken an unofficial to Seton Hall.

Collier will huddle with his father, Red, and New Heights coach Adam Berkowitz after the Seton Hall visit to decide his next move.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 01:40:34 AM »
Many fans were beginning to think no news was bad news regarding Devon Collier’s Official Visit to St. John’s.

Kimani Young, Director of New Heights, said of Collier’s visit....

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/devon-collier-is-close-to-choosing/

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 10:52:25 AM »
Many fans were beginning to think no news was bad news regarding Devon Collier’s Official Visit to St. John’s.

Kimani Young, Director of New Heights, said of Collier’s visit....

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/devon-collier-is-close-to-choosing/

It'd be great if the staff could land an inside/outside forward like Collier. Hopefully, Coach Hurley doesn't still hold resentment over EI.

kob24

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
once again hurley holds no weight with kimanis kids

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »
once again hurley holds no weight with kimanis kids
KOB...........do you think we have a good chance to get Devon ? From what you've said about him in the past, I think he would be a great addition to this team.

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
oregon state

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »
oregon state

Please indicate a source next time.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/05/collier-to-oregon-state/#more-24274

Devon Collier, the 6-foot-8 forward from St. Anthony, has opted to play for Oregon State of the Pac-10.
“He called [head coach] Craig Robinson and committed,” said New Heights director Kimani Young. “That’s where he felt most comfortable.”

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54:28 AM »

oregon state
Please indicate a source next time.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/05/collier-to-oregon-state/#more-24274

Devon Collier, the 6-foot-8 forward from St. Anthony, has opted to play for Oregon State of the Pac-10.
“He called [head coach] Craig Robinson and committed,” said New Heights director Kimani Young. “That’s where he felt most comfortable.”
“He’s very comfortable with Craig Robinson,” added St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley. “He seemed very sure that it’s the right move for him and I feel good for him because he was very comfortable that he had made the right decision.”

Hurley said Collier liked Oregon State’s style of play, which emphasizes the play of the forwards.

“They play with the forwards handling the ball,” Hurley said. “If he works he can become a better shooter. They like him as a kid that can move in the zone, rebound, get deflections.”

I try not to get too high or low on any one kid in recruiting, but it's amazing that we're now losing kids to Oregon State. They haven't won big in years, aren't impressive academically, and are in the middle of nowhere.

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 01:52:55 AM »
If he chose Seton Hall or Providence then I think it would burn more but he chose Oregon St.

It's completely different and not much you can do in that instance.

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 02:08:29 AM »
If he chose Seton Hall or Providence then I think it would burn more but he chose Oregon St.

It's completely different and not much you can do in that instance.
Personally, I'd find those two choices more palatable, but he's the one that's going to have to live and (potentially) get his degree from there. On to the next Top 150 player...

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
I honestly thought he was going to go to Providence. He would have fit into that program nicely much like a Ryan Gomes. I'm not confident in Moore coming here (even though I'd love to have him) so Jayvaughn has to be #1 priority.

gonzalo

Re: Devon Collier - C - All Hallows HS - Bronx, NY - OREGON STATE
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »
Very bad news.   

We need a big man.

boo3

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »
is anybody suprised?

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »