Thursday's a play in game!

• 140 replies
Thursday's a play in game!
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »
I just can't see it any other way. Winner of Providence game gets in unless Marquette or Gtown wins the tourney. I think it is that simple. We win and then either Nova, Creighton or Xavier win tourney we are in.

Re: Thursday's a play in game!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
I think you're probably right. But I think we'd still be sweating on Sunday.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »
I think we need to still beat Villanova but if we do lose to Nova then we'd really have to pull for some teams to lose in other tourneys.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
Its a play-out game.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
I just can't see it any other way. Winner of Providence game gets in unless Marquette or Gtown wins the tourney. I think it is that simple. We win and then either Nova, Creighton or Xavier win tourney we are in.

That's assuming there are 4 at-large bids for the BE.  I think a SJU win and a X loss will be enough.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »
Does Anyone think GT can go on a run and win the BET? They are the only ones that make me nervous on taking the final BET tournament spot. Would the committee take into account that SJU hasn't won a tournament game in a decade as another reason not to pick SJU if were on the bubble?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »

That's assuming there are 4 at-large bids for the BE.  I think a SJU win and a X loss will be enough.

Gonna be hard to justify that since they beat us twice and have a marquee out of conference win.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
I  think we need to win two games to get in safely. Losing to Xavier twice will give us little separation if we go just 1 and 1 in the tournament. Ultimately we are competing for spots with teams at the bottom of power conferences like Dayton, Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, California  and St. Joseph's just as much as Xavier. That is not taking in to account teams like Wichita State losing in their tournament or if a team like UNLV wins the Mountain West or someone like Georgia wins the SEC tournament. Bottom Line beat Providence and beat Villanova or sweat it out and pray.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »
If we go 1-1 in tourney that should knock out Prov. Barring a Gtown run, only taking 3 BE teams and leaving off a 21 win BE team seems like bad business.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:51:28 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
We should probably just win the whole thing and avoid sweating it out.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
I don't see any other scenario than winning everything in order to get in.

There are just too many other bubble teams with clear cut better resumes.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
Does Anyone think GT can go on a run and win the BET? They are the only ones that make me nervous on taking the final BET tournament spot. Would the committee take into account that SJU hasn't won a tournament game in a decade as another reason not to pick SJU if were on the bubble?

I don't see Georgetown being consistent enough to win 4 games in a row---let alone in 4 consecutive nights.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »

I think thats nuts, bubble teams have just as weak a record against top 50 as us. Win against prov and that hurts a direct competitor. Win another and it just bolsters us even more.  Win 2 and we are definitely in IMO
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tiznow

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »

I don't see Georgetown being consistent enough to win 4 games in a row---let alone in 4 consecutive nights.

If these committees looked at past performance in the NCAA the ND would have been sent the NIT many times over.  Gtown has a crappy record as well.

SJUFAN

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
If we go 1-1 in tourney that should knock out Prov. Barring a Gtown run, only taking 3 BE teams and leaving off a 21 win BE team seems like bad business.

I agree. I think there saying five teams out of the A-10 will dance and yet only 3 out of the BE when we are the fourth highest rated conference by RPI. That makes no sense to me. 20 wins in a power conference is nothing to sneeze at.

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »

If we win 2 and lose title game, we will have 22 wins will have beaten Nova prob in next round and be one of the hottest teams in BE. If we don't get in then that would be stupid!

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
Better hope for a Nebraska loss tonight.

Other teams ahead who have more wins and quality wins Arkansas 21, Dayton 22. Need both of them to flop in conference tournament.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:03:31 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I wish I lived in the fantasy world that you guys that think just beating Providence will be enough to get us in. Sounds like a fun little world you guys got there

SJUFAN

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
I wish I lived in the fantasy world that you guys that think just beating Providence will be enough to get us in. Sounds like a fun little world you guys got there

My position is the BE gets four teams in, the winner of the SJU/Prov game dances. If the BE can't get four teams in then they are not treating it like the fourth best rated conference, they are treating it like a mid major.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »

People keep saying this, but then I look at other teams resume's and I'm not too impressed. Not much better than ours. If we add two wins (One would be Villanova) we are 100% in.