SJUBB misinformation

• 64 replies

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
SJUBB misinformation
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
There is so much misinformation going around.  Some facts will clear them up.
-Steve Lavin is not receiving or being denied an extension.  The article from Post states that SJU administration reached out to Lavin  about extension.  That is 100% false.  At this moment there is no one in power to give him the extension and no one reached out to him.
Everything is up in the air until new President is chosen. 
Same thing regarding SJU "reaching out/searching" for new coaches.  No one is being reached out to and no one is in talks with other coaches.
Our SJUBB faith is currently on HOLD.

Sampsons departure is no surprise.  It was expected although he was advised not to do so by the staff.  The advise was based on the draft class.
Obekpa has been a problem child from the start.  His attitude did not change from year ago.  Early suspension worked but he went back to his old ways.  His threats of transferring or going pro were a regular occurrence.  Final stroke was refusal to enter the Providence game.  As mentioned before he was given a choice to shape up or go.  His entourage that he is involved with did not help the cause.
Hooper is the only surprise.  I was told that Sampsons decision was a big impact and he decided to go closer to home and he's looking for a team where he can play more minutes.
There is few recruits that are in serious talks for 2014 I will share more on that as soon as i receive more info.

Re: SJUBB misinformation
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »
Don't think Lavin extension talks were misinformation. “Steve is coming to the end of the fourth year in his initial six-year contract and it is an appropriate time to discuss an extension," athletic director Chris Monasch said in a statement. "We have certainly had preliminary talks and look forward to revisiting the matter at the conclusion of the season."

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
Don't think Lavin extension talks were misinformation. “Steve is coming to the end of the fourth year in his initial six-year contract and it is an appropriate time to discuss an extension," athletic director Chris Monasch said in a statement. "We have certainly had preliminary talks and look forward to revisiting the matter at the conclusion of the season."
Not true.  Lavin's extension contract (proposal) was dropped off at AD's office months before last season started.  AD advised Lavin that it will be on hold until new President is appointed and he will be the one that reviews/denies/accepts the contract

It is also Steve's agent that created the buzz in the press regarding the contract extension.  Lavin is not happy about the "hold and wait for new president" is taking so long.  But he obviously understands that this is out of his hands.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:15:20 PM by ForeverYoung »

Poison

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
-Steve Lavin is not receiving or being denied an extension.  The article from Post states that SJU administration reached out to Lavin  about extension.  That is 100% false.  At this moment there is no one in power to give him the extension and no one reached out to him.
Same thing regarding SJU "reaching out/searching" for new coaches.  No one is being reached out to and no one is in talks with other coaches.

Sampsons departure is no surprise.  It was expected although he was advised not to do so by the staff.  The advise was based on the draft class.
Obekpa has been a problem child from the start.  His attitude did not change from year ago.  Early suspension worked but he went back to his old ways.  His threats of transferring or going pro were a regular occurrence.  Final stroke was refusal to enter the Providence game.  As mentioned before he was given a choice to shape up or go.  His entourage that he is involved with did not help the cause.
Hooper is the only surprise.  I was told that Sampsons decision was a big impact and he decided to go closer to home and he's looking for a team where he can play more minutes.
There is few recruits that are in serious talks for 2014 I will share more on that as soon as i receive more info.

If all of that is true, Lavin can stay in LA. He's a fake. I've had enough of him.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »
the only recruits for this year we are getting are DeLaRosa and the juco from westchester.  Marginal talent at best to replace what we lost.
Additionally, the transfers may not be done yet I am told.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »

What I don't understand is, if we knew Sanchez and Gift were graduating and Sampson's departure was "no surprise", then why wasn't the staff making significant efforts to land talent to replace them?  And I'm not talking last minute Westchester cc juco players.  Sampson is a huge loss, and we have zero to replace him on the roster.  Since the summer, the staff has spoken about pushing efforts to the spring, which imo is ridiculous.  We are now behind the 8-ball, and unless the staff lands Cunningham, they will have failed to land even one top 100 kid  with 5 open ships.  This is unfathomable to me..

Unless the staff lands Cunningham along with several significant talents, this season has been a massive failure.  A team that failed to make NCAA's, quit in the NIT, lost half the roster and is now scrambling to find players, when they should already have some top 100 kids in the bag easily.  Cunningham is the last top 100 on the board.  Staff should be parked outside his house to show the fan base they are actually trying to right this ship.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:30:56 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
the only recruits for this year we are getting are DeLaRosa and the juco from westchester.  Marginal talent at best to replace what we lost.

Like I've been saying. This is a mid major team at best, in a mid major conference. IT is what it is

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »

This one will be a doozy. the nail

ras

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
I think if we keep everyone ,have the Delarosa bros and the Westchester JC transfer we can be ok. We have a lot of talent and exp in our back court. But if we loose more players  ,next year is going to be a long year.

hnk

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
Agree...especially if we add one more shooter who can shoot off the dribble and play passable defense.

Tiznow

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:54:32 PM »
While every team out there feasts on the smorgasbord of available transfers why does St John's sit on the sidelines?  This goes back several years now.  This program used to thrive on incoming transfers.

I understand losing one or two kids every year.  It is the current trend.  I read that Huggins has lost 11 of his last 16 recruits including his leading scorer.

I don't understand not landing incoming transfers.  We landed Branch and that is about it. 

Where does Xavier finish without Stainbook or PC without Harris?

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
While every team out there feasts on the smorgasbord of available transfers why does St John's sit on the sidelines?  This goes back several years now.  This program used to thrive on incoming transfers.

I understand losing one or two kids every year.  It is the current trend.  I read that Huggins has lost 11 of his last 16 recruits including his leading scorer.

I don't understand not landing incoming transfers.  We landed Branch and that is about it. 

When Branch transferred, there were plenty of PG minutes on the table (Nuri left and Sheed wasn't here yet).  Heading into last year, we had a full roster and could offer only limited playing time.  That has changed significantly, and I'd expect us to be involved with at least one HM transfer.  Hopefully this is part of the plan to restock

Tiznow

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »

When Branch transferred, there were plenty of PG minutes on the table (Nuri left and Sheed wasn't here yet).  Heading into last year, we had a full roster and could offer only limited playing time.  That has changed significantly, and I'd expect us to be involved with at least one HM transfer.  Hopefully this is part of the plan to restock

I agree with your point on the availability of PT as a significant factor in the difficulty of getting kids in this class.  I am hoping that Lavin grabs at least one that is out there.  It just seems that over the years the program de-emphasized bringing in transfers as compared to the 70's and 80's when one or two starters each season were transfers.

uwsfan

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
Havent you people figured it out yet ?

All of this talk of transfers and recruits is MOOT!
No matter who joins, a Lavin coached team will not be successful. He had the 2nd most talented team in a conference that was much weaker than the prior year. And they were very experienced upperclassmen. Yet they failed. And the reason for the failure is that they were coached by a guy who should be coaching junior high basketball.
The only thing that has kept the guy on this level is his ace recruiting ability. He has absolutely no coaching skills.

The only way this "sleeping giant" will awake is with another guy at the helm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:40:17 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
I think if we keep everyone ,have the Delarosa bros and the Westchester JC transfer we can be ok. We have a lot of talent and exp in our back court. But if we loose more players  ,next year is going to be a long year.

The Delarosa borthers plus the kid from westchester to replace Sampson and CO. Maybe 17 wins at best, and that`s if Jordan doesn`t transfer.

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
The only thing that has kept the guy on this level is his ace recruiting ability. He has absolutely no coaching skills.

Yeah he`s some recruiting ace, with his two recruits in two years (and that`s if ADR comes here, I`m not buying that he`s ours yet.).
Awesome job.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »

The Delarosa borthers plus the kid from westchester to replace Sampson and CO. Maybe 17 wins at best, and that`s if Jordan doesn`t transfer.

C'mon.  Sampson was a speed boat with an engine that could do 50 mph with holes all over the hull.  What good does such a good engine do when the thing can't float?

ADR and the WCC kid don't have that engine but have less holes.  We did so many things poorly last year....awful rebounding, next to no lost defense, nobody that could body a big man, horrible mistakes and mental lapses, big men that thought they were guards, etc. 

There is no way this team I worse than this past season with the trio of Joey, ADR, and this WCC kid alongside CJ.  No way . There were stretches were it looked like we had nobody playing defense at all down low.

Speed boat engine has been downgraded but hopefully the holes have been patched.  CO had a horrible attitude.  This kid from WCC said in a recent article "I will outwork you."  Last year's team needed some of that.  His college coach called him a modern day Dennis Rodman with better offensive skills.

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

C'mon.  Sampson was a speed boat with an engine that could do 50 mph with holes all over the hull.  What good does such a good engine do when the thing can't float?

ADR and the WCC kid don't have that engine but have less holes.  We did so many things poorly last year....awful rebounding, next to no lost defense, nobody that could body a big man, horrible mistakes and mental lapses, big men that thought they were guards, etc. 

There is no way this team I worse than this past season with the trio of Joey, ADR, and this WCC kid alongside CJ.  No way . There were stretches were it looked like we had nobody playing defense at all down low.

Speed boat engine has been downgraded but hopefully the holes have been patched.  CO had a horrible attitude.  This kid from WCC said in a recent article "I will outwork you."  Last year's team needed some of that.  His college coach called him a modern day Dennis Rodman with better offensive skills.

I have seen both brothers through the years and have my reservations that either can contribute much in year one. I have never seen Thomas. Have you seen these guys or are you just judging from videos? Thanks.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »

To me, the biggest issues for St. John's this season was the lack of shooters and interior scoring/rebounding.  I just don't see how the addition of a 1.5 ppg player from FIU, a solid but unspectacular big man, and a kid from Westchester CC is going to fix that.  Yes, we can all pick apart the games of Sampson and Obekpa.  I get it, everybody is pissed off that they left and find it necessary to convince themselves that the team will be better w/o them.  But I can't ignore the fact that so far this season we've lost a very good scoring forward and arguably the best shot blocker in the entire country.  Did they have holes?  Of course they did.  But barring the signing of someone completely out of the blue, this team is not going to be better off next season.

Yes, Harrison and Jordan are a very good backcourt.  And I still believe that if given minutes, Branch will be an important piece.  But let's not pretend this 3 are going to take a front court of Phil Missere's and Curtis Johnson's to the NCAA Tournament.  You need to have options down low and the fact of the matter is St. John's just doesn't have them anymore.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Dom Pointer should be running in the gym jump shooting 10 hours a day right now