Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies
Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #620 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
If anyone knows this situation knows Chris is as much to blame as anyone for this.

With or without Sid, they need to win this year and that is the job of the HC.

How so ?  Not being actively engaged with kid before and/or after signing ?
Don't know if that is what fordham was alluding too bit if it is I have heard from two different sources that CM runs an extremely loose ship.

« Reply #621 on: August 29, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
If anyone knows this situation knows Chris is as much to blame as anyone for this.

With or without Sid, they need to win this year and that is the job of the HC.

How so ?  Not being actively engaged with kid before and/or after signing ?
Don't know if that is what fordham was alluding too bit if it is I have heard from two different sources that CM runs an extremely loose ship.

Look I am not sure how you blame an assistant coach for any recruit for so many reasons.  I mean who runs the program?  Who can veto ANY recruit?  Who decides ultimately who is on the team and who is not?  Heck who decides who the assistants are?  Matt saw an opportunity to recruit a top 60 kid after he re-classed and took advantage.  It was a risk in the sense that the kid consistently did not list SJU earlier indicating that he probably did not want to be in NYC.  But they weren't using that scholarship for someone else that late anyway.

And yes I think Chris could have done a little more but ultimately this recruit was probably heading towards this conclusion.

MCNPA

« Reply #622 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »
This kid sounds like Rysheed Jordan... good riddance.  And Yukon is rotting in he AAC.  They were great under Calhoun, but Ollie won with Calhoun's team, let's face it.  I envied uconn under Calhoun.   Definitely not now...   as far as recruiting though, this sucks.  Wish this brat no luck in future endeavors.

Agree it sucks, but "brat" doesn't seem appropriate.  Kid loses mom, leaves HS in area for New Hampshire.  Leaving likely was retreat, coming back not good mrmories, people etc.

We can only imagine how many conflicting people are in  recruits ear before decision...including our own staff doing their job to influence decision in our favor

It's entirely appropriate.  He committed here.  He's been whining on social media apparently .  Now decides to leave as the semester begins.  Tired of these primadonas.

« Reply #623 on: August 29, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
What's sad to me is kid, through his athletic ability, earned a free ride to multiple schools. 

He has family pushing one way and others elsewhere.

Why couldn't he just pick where he wanted to go from the very start?  Do the kids get cuts of the $$ from the "handlers"?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:09:23 PM by RedStormNC »

Moose

« Reply #624 on: August 29, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
Sid was always aloof. Not sure how far back this thread goes. Not totally shocked here.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #625 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
Sid was always aloof. Not sure how far back this thread goes. Not totally shocked here.

Yup, I've heard that the staff wasn't sure if this commitment would stick hence their pursuit of Trimble. I've also heard that Trimble has had a very good summer and would have taken a few minutes away from Sid at the 3 or Trimble would play the 2 and slide Simon to the 3 spot.

« Reply #626 on: August 29, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »
The Trimble is taking his minutes narrative is ridiculous. Sid was gonna play the 3 and 4

Dan

« Reply #627 on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
Matt A kool aid needs to be put down, not nearly as impressive as the yes men were saying

« Reply #628 on: August 29, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »
Agree on Trimble not being merited here.  Question will be if Lovett & Simon get 30+ each at 1 &2, then that leaves only 20 min between Trimble & Simon.  Assume that gets split 13 for Simon and 7 for Trimble, I'd still see Simon getting at least another 7-12+ at the 3, along with Ahmed.

To me, this means for maybe extra minutes for Yakwe, Ali B, Clark & Owens....will have to live with that

goredmen

« Reply #629 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »
Agree on Trimble not being merited here.  Question will be if Lovett & Simon get 30+ each at 1 &2, then that leaves only 20 min between Trimble & Simon.  Assume that gets split 13 for Simon and 7 for Trimble, I'd still see Simon getting at least another 7-12+ at the 3, along with Ahmed.

To me, this means for maybe extra minutes for Yakwe, Ali B, Clark & Owens....will have to live with that

Dead on here. This doesn't impact the guards much if any but does impact the few bigs we do have. More playing time Ali is a very bad thing and if Yakwe doesn't take a huge leap this year then more minutes for him is bad for us as well. This also means we absolutely can not survive any injuries or missed games from Owens and Clark now

Marillac

« Reply #630 on: August 29, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
The Trimble is taking his minutes narrative is ridiculous. Sid was gonna play the 3 and 4

I like what I see in Trimble. Defense will define him, though.  I do think he is much more ready to play the three than Sid this year. I saw Sid as a 4/3, eventually becoming a pure 3.

I've said all along this kid has top 25 hype and baggage and he's not a top 50 caliber talent. I'm not sure why fans, especially Uconn fans, are so amped about this kid.

« Reply #631 on: August 29, 2017, 11:29:10 PM »

I like what I see in Trimble. Defense will define him, though.  I do think he is much more ready to play the three than Sid this year. I saw Sid as a 4/3, eventually becoming a pure 3.

I've said all along this kid has top 25 hype and baggage and he's not a top 50 caliber talent. I'm not sure why fans, especially Uconn fans, are so amped about this kid.

Uconn has no choice but to be amped for him. Outside of Jalen Adams they really don't have anybody else to fall on.

desco80

« Reply #632 on: August 29, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »

Uconn has no choice but to be amped for him. Outside of Jalen Adams they really don't have anybody else to fall on.

What recruit have we signed to be excited about?

« Reply #633 on: August 30, 2017, 12:45:22 AM »

Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on st johns

Poison

« Reply #634 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:08 AM »

Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on st johns

Gilbert would start over Marcus LoVett or Shamorie Ponds? I don't think so man. LoVett is a fit version of El Amin, and Ponds is gonna put up 20 per. Gilbert can't shoot the three. Johnnies are deeper than Uconn if only because the Huskies have lost their identity. Frankly, I'm really surprised with the drop off. Larrier hasn't played to his high school ranking, and that's kinda the case with Gilbert to a much lesser extent because of his injury, but still, it's like Gilbert is a freshman again. I think Wilson smelled playing time. He probably thinks of himself as a 2/3, and that's where there is a log jam with Ahmed taking 25+ minutes and Simon. Where would this kid play other than the 4 or the 5, but look at him? Playing C/PF in the BE? No.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:13:17 AM by Poison »

« Reply #635 on: August 30, 2017, 01:30:02 AM »

Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on St. John's

Lol, the only player on that AAC team that can start here is Jalen Adams and that's a stretch. Is Terry Larrier  even healthy yet? I agree with the above poster, Sid sees playing time with uconn and MAY go for it ( still think it's Texas) . Our plan was to have Sid develop into a leader and star by his junior year. Looking at your roster, you need him now.

« Reply #636 on: August 30, 2017, 01:30:58 AM »

Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on St. John's

Lol, the only player on that AAC team that can start here is Jalen Adams and that's a stretch. Is Terry Larrier  even healthy yet? I agree with the above poster, Sid sees playing time with uconn and MAY go for it ( still think it's Texas) . Our plan was to have Sid develop into a leader and star by his junior year. Looking at your roster, you need him now.

Marillac

« Reply #637 on: August 30, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »

You are wasting your time gloating like a piece of sh*t over a borderline top 100 talent on a St. John's basketball fan forum? Jesus Christ, if that doesn't put Uconn's fall in perspective than nothing will. Your team is in the AAC!!!!! Accept reality. Most St. John's fans accepted our reality a decade ago. Uconn basketball is on an inevitable path to complete mediocrity. May I suggest adding another hobby?  Maybe you can embrace other memories you had while at Uconn like that time you slept with a drunken 200 pound white walker with a disgusting New England accent at Husky Blues?

« Reply #638 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:58 AM »

You are wasting your time gloating like a piece of sh*t over a borderline top 100 talent on a St. John's basketball fan forum? Jesus Christ, if that doesn't put Uconn's fall in perspective than nothing will. Your team is in the AAC!!!!! Accept reality. Most St. John's fans accepted our reality a decade ago. Uconn basketball is on an inevitable path to complete mediocrity. May I suggest adding another hobby?  Maybe you can embrace other memories you had while at Uconn like that time you slept with a drunken 200 pound white walker with a disgusting New England accent at Husky Blues?
This is pure entertainment

« Reply #639 on: August 30, 2017, 03:22:38 AM »

Jalen Adams is by far better than anyone on st johns. I promise. Rique and TL are indeed healthy. I wish you guys were on our schedule so we could wipe the floor with you lol