Xavier game 1

• 119 replies

goredmen

Re: Xavier game 1
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
Barring a catastrophic finish, yesterday will be the game that changed this team's fate. To date, this was the biggest win for the program in four years. We're now tourney bound and firmly on the right side of the bubble. Huge victory, happy for the staff and players bc they all deserve it.

This team isn't "firmly" anywhere

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:09 AM »
Xavier: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

Man Doc.  These are getting a tad verbose.  You really have a lot to say.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »
Barring a catastrophic finish, yesterday will be the game that changed this team's fate. To date, this was the biggest win for the program in four years. We're now tourney bound and firmly on the right side of the bubble. Huge victory, happy for the staff and players bc they all deserve it.

I almost never have a nice thing to say about Quanman's talking points, but he's right in one regard..
Saturday was the biggest win in four years, and Im happy for all the players and the staff.  It was big, and they do deserve to enjoy success, theyve worked hard.

desco80

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
JDR looked awful. Still think he should get a shot. Hoping he can play a few minutes. Smith is huge.

Smith is a big boy but he doesn't play huge minutes. If we play our style and keep it an up-tempo game he won't play more than 15 minutes. Putting JDL in would actually slow us down and probably let Smith play more minutes

Agree 100%. Like it or not but Felix is going to start. They are now 3-0 with him starting so coach isn't going to make that change.

Smith has been playing less minutes lately, and true we have won a couple with felix starting, but it would be basketball suicide to start felix or Dom on Josh smith.   Why put ourselves in a hole to start the game?
Anytime smith is in the game one of our bigs needs to be as well.  He's too good of an offensive player to try to guard with a smaller player.   I think we'll have a hard enough time matching up with their other forwards, we can't be undersized against smith as well.   
I also think we need to play man to try to limit Georgetown advantage on the boards.   We rebound more poorly in our "quick sand".

But today was definitely a good game.  Hopefully we can keep the good times rolling.

Well you can start bashing Lavin now if you want as Felix will get another start.
You really think so?  Im not sure its a gurantee.  Lavin has been known to tinker with the lineup, much of the time to criticism from us, but its not like he has a reputation of being locked in his ways.   For better or worse he makes adjustments as he sees fit.

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
Agreed I just think starting Felix has the potential against bigger, more physical teams to get us into an early hole, and we are not the type of team that comes back from large deficits.  If he is concerned about CO, I'd prefer starting Amar.  Not fair to, and can't have, Felix banging with the likes of Hopkins, Reynolds, Pinkston.  Against teams that start only one true big  (like Depaul) or have soft bigs (like Creighton) it is ok.

« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »
Agreed I just think starting Felix has the potential against bigger, more physical teams to get us into an early hole, and we are not the type of team that comes back from large deficits.  If he is concerned about CO, I'd prefer starting Amar.  Not fair to, and can't have, Felix banging with the likes of Hopkins, Reynolds, Pinkston.  Against teams that start only one true big  (like Depaul) or have soft bigs (like Creighton) it is ok.

Exactly, we got down 10 early in this game, following Stainbrook picking us apart inside. We were able to erase that deficit with good shooting, but that won't always be the case.

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
JDR looked awful. Still think he should get a shot. Hoping he can play a few minutes. Smith is huge.

Smith is a big boy but he doesn't play huge minutes. If we play our style and keep it an up-tempo game he won't play more than 15 minutes. Putting JDL in would actually slow us down and probably let Smith play more minutes

Agree 100%. Like it or not but Felix is going to start. They are now 3-0 with him starting so coach isn't going to make that change.

Smith has been playing less minutes lately, and true we have won a couple with felix starting, but it would be basketball suicide to start felix or Dom on Josh smith.   Why put ourselves in a hole to start the game?
Anytime smith is in the game one of our bigs needs to be as well.  He's too good of an offensive player to try to guard with a smaller player.   I think we'll have a hard enough time matching up with their other forwards, we can't be undersized against smith as well.   
I also think we need to play man to try to limit Georgetown advantage on the boards.   We rebound more poorly in our "quick sand".

But today was definitely a good game.  Hopefully we can keep the good times rolling.

Well you can start bashing Lavin now if you want as Felix will get another start.
You really think so?  Im not sure its a gurantee.  Lavin has been known to tinker with the lineup, much of the time to criticism from us, but its not like he has a reputation of being locked in his ways.   For better or worse he makes adjustments as he sees fit.

Balamou will probably start, but there is always a chance for the quick hook.

I remember one particular year (around '87'-88) where John Thompson would start a JUCO-transfer, Ben Gillery, and would immediately yank him after the first dead ball.  Gillery was about 7'0" or 7'1", and Thompson wanted him in for the jump ball.  Gillery would get yanked, and most games, wouldn't see the floor again 'til tip-off of G'town's following game.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:01:24 PM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »
Starting Felix at the 4 makes no sense. Up there there with starting the walk on for stupidity .

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »
Yea Dinkins we did something similar with Polee in 2010-2011.  I don't know if that was because of a promise Lavin made to DP Sr., or because he thought Polee might contribute more if starting (some guys do), but he would take the tip play a few minutes and then usually JB would come in.

I didn't mind it that year because I didn't feel that we were at that much of a disadvantage.  Polee was long, we played zone a lot and Brownlee and DJ were good rebounders.  This lineup is much smaller though with Felix out there.

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
Polee was our best leaper and provided an opportunity to win the tip.  Felix, not so much.  (Although he did win it against X)

desco80

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »
If the idea is to give Chris some early rest so he's not picking up fouls or running out of gas.. that's OK.  I can buy that.  Let someone else take the tip, and sub after 5minutes of gametime.
 But I don't see why Felix is the replacement.   I'd go with Amar. 

It is a shame that Thomas and ADR aren't available, and Jones hasn't lived up to expectations. 

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
Polee was our best leaper and provided an opportunity to win the tip.  Felix, not so much.  (Although he did win it against X)

Felix might be our best leaper actually. Still shouldn't be doing jump balls at 6'4.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:44:14 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »

Felix might be our best leaper actually. Still shouldn't be doing jump balls at 6'4.

Yeah, I should have been clearer.  He may be our best leaper (Dom?).  He just doesn't have the height to jump against 6'10" guys.

cjfish

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
if the ball is thrown up properly it is a matter of leaping ability not size.  Had a buddy who jumped center at 6-3 and then slid over to allow a 6-9 guy to play the post.  He was one od the great leapers in NYC and always jumped center in HS and college

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »

Yeah I think coach is a bit superstitious and will start the same lineup. CO comes in after first TO.

ras

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
Starting Felix at the 4 makes no sense. Up there there with starting the walk on for stupidity .
I'm assuming COs ankle was bothering him, precluding him from getting more minutes.Looking at all the options, Amar is the best option to back up CO IMO , big body, not great, but improving and serviceable, he also got 5 rebounds in 13 mins against XU.Although Dom is playing great ,he is only 6'6. If we don't have size against Georgetown,we are at a big disadvantage.  Use Felix to give someone else some rest. Branch looked very good, however, and I wouldn't mind giving him more time.

TONYD3

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
I have bashed Felix more then anyone . He has surprised me he is not terrible. Still when he plays I think he has to play with 2 other fowards .  That means he is competing with the guards for minutes . In most cases I would rather play branch then him.

LoganK

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
I'm assuming COs ankle was bothering him, precluding him from getting more minutes.Looking at all the options, Amar is the best option to back up CO IMO , big body, not great, but improving and serviceable, he also got 5 rebounds in 13 mins against XU.Although Dom is playing great ,he is only 6'6. If we don't have size against Georgetown,we are at a big disadvantage.  Use Felix to give someone else some rest. Branch looked very good, however, and I wouldn't mind giving him more time.
I would almost rather have Dom on Smith than anyone else - with or without Obekpa on the court.  His high energy, length, and athleticism will give smith trouble.  He'll front him and get help if they manage to get the pass in.  Smith's success will hinge on his ability to keep the ball up when receiving passes inside.  We got a few turnovers when Stainbrook brought the ball down after a catch, not expecting a guard to be waiting for him to turn around.  No one on the team can compete with Smith's size, but I think Pointer poses the biggest issues for him with his quickness and length.  After a couple of turnovers and not getting back on defense, Georgetown will have no choice but to get him out of the game.  The alternative of course is that he keeps the ball up, gets easy baskets over our guards, they have time to set their d, and we're in trouble.

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »
I would almost rather have Dom on Smith than anyone else - with or without Obekpa on the court.  His high energy, length, and athleticism will give smith trouble.  He'll front him and get help if they manage to get the pass in.  Smith's success will hinge on his ability to keep the ball up when receiving passes inside.  We got a few turnovers when Stainbrook brought the ball down after a catch, not expecting a guard to be waiting for him to turn around.  No one on the team can compete with Smith's size, but I think Pointer poses the biggest issues for him with his quickness and length.  After a couple of turnovers and not getting back on defense, Georgetown will have no choice but to get him out of the game.  The alternative of course is that he keeps the ball up, gets easy baskets over our guards, they have time to set their d, and we're in trouble.

Smith gobbling up offensive rebounds scared me more than him killing us in the post.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LoganK

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2015, 07:08:30 PM »
Very fair point, but we're not exactly a great rebounding team regardless.  We create possessions off steals and blocks at a very high rate.