Transfer talk

• 74 replies

LoganK

Re: Transfer talk
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »
I thought AA showed flashes during his freshman year.  Despite his horrible shooting percentages, he had pretty good form on his shot, wasn't afraid to battle for rebounds, is definitely a team player (constantly setting screens and rooting his team on), and played hard.  He obviously has a ways to go (he was a freshman, after all), but the potential is clearly there.  He needs to improve his footwork (O and D), understand the system (although, in his defense, no one really understood our "system" last year), and mature.  I'm not claiming he's going to be first team BE as a senior, but I think he can be someone who averages 10 and 6, or provides useful minutes off the bench.  Not every player on the team is going to average 15 points, 8 boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals.

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »
I thought AA showed flashes during his freshman year.  Despite his horrible shooting percentages, he had pretty good form on his shot, wasn't afraid to battle for rebounds, is definitely a team player (constantly setting screens and rooting his team on), and played hard.  He obviously has a ways to go (he was a freshman, after all), but the potential is clearly there.  He needs to improve his footwork (O and D), understand the system (although, in his defense, no one really understood our "system" last year), and mature.  I'm not claiming he's going to be first team BE as a senior, but I think he can be someone who averages 10 and 6, or provides useful minutes off the bench.  Not every player on the team is going to average 15 points, 8 boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals.
Amar showed flashes of not sucking at times. I think he can be useful. He was awful at the beginning of the season. I think the coaching staff did a great job to improve him to being almost competent by the end of the season. Defense is easy, he shouldn't have been as lost as he was. He was constantly late sliding and switching. If you like that Amar is here and think he played well you should be complimenting the staff not taking shots at them. I dont hate Amar, but I do wish we would have gotten a more instinctive defender.

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »
Defensively is where most European players typically struggle the most when coming here. Amar is no different in this regard. His defense left a lot to be desired this year.

Bottom line is that with Mullin the level of talent on the roster is going to improve a lot. Amar will be a bench player. Hopefully he improves with more experience and minutes. However, I wouldn't expect him to be more than a bench role player.

hnk

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »
I agree.....I'd be a little surprised to see him last 3 more years, but who knows.  There is definitely some potential there, but how much?

LoganK

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
Amar showed flashes of not sucking at times. I think he can be useful. He was awful at the beginning of the season. I think the coaching staff did a great job to improve him to being almost competent by the end of the season. Defense is easy, he shouldn't have been as lost as he was. He was constantly late sliding and switching. If you like that Amar is here and think he played well you should be complimenting the staff not taking shots at them. I dont hate Amar, but I do wish we would have gotten a more instinctive defender.
He did start (and finish) poorly, but he had a few game stretch where the potential was visible. Defensively, as you said, he often looked lost, but that can be improved.  That's based more on intellect and intensity than ability.  He showed the intensity, but not the knowledge of what he was supposed to be doing/how to keep your arms straight up while challenging a shot on the inside.

If you're taking my "system" comment as shots at the staff, so be it, but please also explain what our offensive system was (one on one does not qualify as a system).  I, personally, am glad Lavin and co. were here, as I think they did raise the level of our program, but I also think it was time to move on.  That said, I'm not sure how liking flashes of talent shown by a freshman over a three game stretch means someone has to be pleased with everything the coaching staff did.

Bringing it back to transfer talk, AA should be a serviceable backup over the next couple of years, and could potentially be a starter as a senior.  We still need someone to play ahead of him.

redslope

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
He did start (and finish) poorly, but he had a few game stretch where the potential was visible. Defensively, as you said, he often looked lost, but that can be improved.  That's based more on intellect and intensity than ability.  He showed the intensity, but not the knowledge of what he was supposed to be doing/how to keep your arms straight up while challenging a shot on the inside.

If you're taking my "system" comment as shots at the staff, so be it, but please also explain what our offensive system was (one on one does not qualify as a system).  I, personally, am glad Lavin and co. were here, as I think they did raise the level of our program, but I also think it was time to move on.  That said, I'm not sure how liking flashes of talent shown by a freshman over a three game stretch means someone has to be pleased with everything the coaching staff did.

Bringing it back to transfer talk, AA should be a serviceable backup over the next couple of years, and could potentially be a starter as a senior.  We still need someone to play ahead of him.
Amar did not come in as a McD's AA; he did not come in as a saviour.  He came in and showed he had to learn the American game.  One thing about him is that he is tough as he gave some good fouls this year and was not a push over.  There were some improvements noted during the year so it indicates he is coachable.  His numbers are on the face horrific but look through the numbers regarding the FT's 1 for seven is not an adequate sample.  I wonder what the folks who want his head would have thought about Kaminsky after his first year.  Look at his frosh numbers and they would have said he was useless and a waste of a scholarship.  Not saying Amar will be a future AA but he I believe at the end of 4 years he will be looked upon as someone who contributed to the team's success as he has a coach who can work with slow guys who can't jump out of the gym.

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »
I agree Amar has the potential to be a solid contributor. He is big, tough, and can shoot the three. He was a frosh unfamiliar with American game and is young as well. I like his upside.

hnk

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 11:41:09 AM »
I agree with all that but it's possible (maybe highly possible) he gets recruited over.

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
5 fouls and 7 minutes a game.

hnk

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
You had a  great, great game...hope you enjoyed it.

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »

Sick. Crowd was electric from starting lineups on. A lot different than the Duke/Mich St game. I did enjoy seeing all the Kentucky tears

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »
Anyone hearing a destination for Angel Nunez?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »

Sick. Crowd was electric from starting lineups on. A lot different than the Duke/Mich St game. I did enjoy seeing all the Kentucky tears
Shows how life looks so different in retrospect. I am so happy those sore loser Harrison twins didn't go to MD. Melo wouldn't have come, and probably Stone wouldn't have either :)

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »

sorry did not mean to come at you. I agree their was no offensive system. I thought you meant defense. We did get good shots and score points. Not sticking up for Lavin or even aruging with you. Just trying to be fair to him. Also happy he is gone
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:37:19 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »
I agree their was no offensive system.

Perhaps no system will become the new system.

SCORING OFFENSE    G    W-L    Pts    Avg/G
1.    Villanova    18    16-2    1380    76.7
2.    St. John's    18    10-8    1293    71.8
3.    Xavier    18    9-9    1277    70.9
4.    Providence    18    11-7    1264    70.2
5.    Georgetown    18    12-6    1243    69.1
6.    Butler    18    12-6    1238    68.8
7.    Seton Hall    18    6-12    1203    66.8
8.    DePaul    18    6-12    1185    65.8
9.    Creighton    18    4-14    1150    63.9
10.    Marquette    18    4-14    1109    61.6

Tha Kid

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »

And again, just because we averaged the second most points, does not mean that our coach maximized the offensive talent on the team.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:51:14 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

redslope

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »

And again, just because we averaged the second most points, does not mean that our coach maximized the offensive talent on the team.
Also when you give up 73.1 (last in BE) it is obvious that we did not score enough even with the second most points scored

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »

That's right.   Conversely, it doesn't mean that he didn't.  Complaining about the offense this past season is silly.  We had the league's second leading scorer; the leading 3-pt shooter in league play; and 4 players averaging in double digits.  Plus the list I already posted.

Scoring as much as we did with absolutely no post offensive whatsoever was a maximized performance.  Our plethora of small ballers performed admirably on the offensive end.

Find something else to complain about.  There's a lot of material.

LoganK

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 10:54:18 PM »

That's right.   Conversely, it doesn't mean that he didn't.  Complaining about the offense this past season is silly.  We had the league's second leading scorer; the leading 3-pt shooter in league play; and 4 players averaging in double digits.  Plus the list I already posted.

Scoring as much as we did with absolutely no post offensive whatsoever was a maximized performance.  Our plethora of small ballers performed admirably on the offensive end.

Find something else to complain about.  There's a lot of material.

You're right, we did score a lot of points.  That said, we very rarely turned the ball over (15.5% - 1st in conference) and defensively blocked shots and stole the ball (top 5 block% and top 50 steal%) leading to fast break points.  We were 9th in the country in experience (2.36 yrs), and that experience was also very talented. 

Those things considered, did we score as much as we should have?

Our "system" was that if we couldn't score in transition, we would have a guard take the ball at the top of the key, have someone set a pick, and....well, then we'd just see what happened.  I've seen more set plays in the first 30 minutes of the Duke/Wisc game then I saw all season for us.

I'm not trying to hate on Lavin, but giving your team a ball and saying, "Ok, go score" does not a system make.

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »
Fif you have been listening to our new coach, he does not believe in set plays. Move the ball in transition take quick shot, lots of threes, if that does not work, cut, curl and shoot. He said he does not want to be the guy calling plays for his players. He wants guys who can create. Sound familiar? Bo Ryan he is not.