Big East Media Day

• 33 replies

Marillac

Re: Big East Media Day
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
We are the mystery box. Nobody can predict what this team will be this year and it will be fun to see what happens. It's rare to have so many new faces on a team, including the coaching staff, at the same time. Lavins 2nd year was a mystery with all the new players but at least you had a track record of how Lavin Coached. Very interesting year and it will be fun to watch good or bad.

What made Lavin's year so easy to predict was that they were all new to d-1 and the roster was so incomplete.  This team has four seniors and two sophs.  This team could really shock people if they gel and play physical.  Mullin would be the darling of the national media...you know they won't be able to resist that story line.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 06:01:17 PM »
@rumbleSBN: Ron Mvouika on SJU style of play: "Lots of freedom, run n' gun, NBA style. I think we're going to be one of most exciting teams to watch."
Run and gun fun to watch when good percentage of shots are falling. If a low percentage of shots are falling could get ugly. Let's hope for the former and that we have a good shooting team.

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
Run n gun with Sima guarding the rim like Obekpa used to?

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Run and gun is about as far away from Lou's style of play as could be. More like Loyola. But it will be fun and I trust this staff.

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
I would think the 30 second shot clock will help this team with the system they are most likely going to run. Mullin has been in the NBA for a long time now where offenses are less complex and shots are obviously put up quicker. Matt A comes from Iowa State that had a very pro style offense and a run and gun type game. Slice comes from UK where Cal gives his players great freedom on offense.

While I'm not sure how many (if any) wins it will equate to, I do think this team will be less negatively impacted by the decreased shot clock than others.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:37:10 PM by goredmen »

redslope

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
can understand the last place as we have many unknowns.  The biggest are Durand, Ron and Darien who all missed last year with injuries.  If not FULLY recovered, it could be bad news but if they are 100% then the year could be successful.  The trio would give us Upper class leadership as 2 5th year players and one third year player.  Durand and Ron will be resume building for their futures in this-their last year.  This is their "job interview".

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »
can understand the last place as we have many unknowns.  The biggest are Durand, Ron and Darien who all missed last year with injuries.  If not FULLY recovered, it could be bad news but if they are 100% then the year could be successful.  The trio would give us Upper class leadership as 2 5th year players and one third year player.  Durand and Ron will be resume building for their futures in this-their last year.  This is their "job interview".

Durand missed last season due to suspension not an injury. He practiced with the team.  I get the sense that Williams sitting out last season was based on the guidance of the Iowa State staff to preserve a year of eligibility while taking care of minor shoulder issues that bothered him for years.  Great decision IMO, and one that I think more JUCO kids should consider once established.

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
The coaches have picked us to finish last. We get no respect I tell ya.

What conference did Depaul go to?

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »

Good one Carmine!

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 08:22:35 AM »

New coach, can't be as bad. They still have one of top players in conference. I don't know who is coming back but they were really tough for about a month last year.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »

New coach, can't be as bad. They still have one of top players in conference. I don't know who is coming back but they were really tough for about a month last year.

Similar to what we had in Norm's second year when we started the BE season 3-2 (Should have been 4-1), they caught a few teams off guard because they are not completely without talent, but it was short lived. I mean hey, they beat us, but Feb and March they came down to earth fast. If there's a team that doesn't scare me, it has to be them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:55:49 AM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
Creighton looked like the team with the least amount of talent to me last year. I think they are going to have a tough time in the big east going.

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »

Good one Carmine!

Thanks.