Do you want to see small ball?

• 84 replies

MCNPA

Re: Do you want to see small ball?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 01:58:38 AM »
They have 2 big men in Yankuba and Amir, so we'll be seeing small ball, unless they are much better than we've anticipated.
Hard to say what our line up will be, or could be, without any knowledge of how they look playing together.

Feels like we've been playing small ball for 18 years. It worked for Nova because they had NBA guards.

You don't consider Christian Jones or Darien Williams a part of the front court?

I can see that at times, against smaller teams when we want to run and gun.  I will however, always see "small ball" as being when we played 6'4" Anthony Glover as our center.  With the lineup as above, we'd still have a couple of 6'6" guys and a 6'8" guy.  We have a pretty versatile lineup though, with lots of kids that can shoot and score.  I like to see that.

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 01:59:13 AM »
Forget small ball just another way of saying we don't have a center!

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:22 AM »
Forget small ball just another way of saying we don't have a center!

Sima?

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 07:17:31 AM »
As long as we score one more point than the opponent I don't care what type of ball we play.

As long as the wings are able to rebound we should be okay.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
They have 2 big men in Yankuba and Amir, so we'll be seeing small ball, unless they are much better than we've anticipated.
Hard to say what our line up will be, or could be, without any knowledge of how they look playing together.

Feels like we've been playing small ball for 18 years. It worked for Nova because they had NBA guards.

You don't consider Christian Jones or Darien Williams a part of the front court?

I haven't seen Williams play. I have no idea what he can do. I figured Sima and Alibegovic are the front court, but IDK yet, because IDK anything about these guys yet without having seen them.

And as for Christian Jones, I feel like he just gets an incomplete at this point. What can he do? We've seen what, 2 decent games as a college player out of him in 3 years? It says a lot that the last staff went with Joey Delarosa over him last year.

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 09:51:14 AM »
I don't think we are going to be physically small (outside of when LoVett and Mussini play together) but are going to play fast and chuck up a ton of 3's.  A lot of our guys have reps of being shooters and I expect it to be bombs away.  I actually think our offense will be better than in past few years and make us a threat to upset anyone if we have a hot game from deep.

My fear is that we are going to stink at rebounding and outside of Sima I don't see a shot blocker. (All under the assumption Yakwe isn't elgible).  I'm hoping the team can gel quick enough to play effective defense but wouldn't be surprised if we are miserable on that end of the floor. 

Redzone

• StJ fan. Adopted Davidson since moving to NC
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
Just want to see StJ relevant and win.  Small ball, pound inside right now don't care.  Love that CM is back love the staff very confident we are headed back to national relevance.  Psyched for the season to start and right now the future is looking bright.......

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
Just want to see StJ relevant and win.   

I just can't see it happening.  Hate to be the anti-Marillac;  but I can't envision any scenario this season in which we dont s*ck big-time.

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »

I just can't see it happening.  Hate to be the anti-Marillac;  but I can't envision any scenario this season in which we dont s*ck big-time.

I could see us going .500 and getting into the NIT. I think our ceiling is being a bubble team outside looking in, we have players with really good potential, and some with international/Big East experience. NIT wouldn't be a bad thing for such a young team (are we allowed to say we're a young team now that Lavin is not the coach?).

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 08:44:52 PM »
To answer the small ball question, I don't see us running a ton of it, especially if Yakwe is eligible. I think Sima will get a lot of minutes, same with Alibegovic. Durand Johnson could easily be our best player and I'd like to keep him at the 3 as much as possible. Let Williams be the banger down low for rebounds and 2nd chance points.

My ideal lineup: Lovett, Ellison, Johnson, Williams, Sima (Yakwe if eligible). Mussini first off the bench
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:45:25 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »
We'll have two small PG's, three good sized wings, plus Felix. And Sima and Williams our bigs, plus hopefully an improved Amar. We could also get Yakwe eligible for the second semester. The key I think will be if Williams can play post defense, because if he can, he will cause matchup problems.  His offensive game looks good and he is a good deep shooter.  But if he can give us good post D, and Amar comes back with an improved all around game, we should be fine as far as height is concerned.

Lovett and Mussini can cause matchup problems also against certain teams, at certain times, but against most Big East teams playing them together could be problematic, defensively, because they are both so small.  But of course teams would have to defend them too, so it works both ways. And the trend seems to be smaller and smaller teams doing better and better in the spread out college game with the short three pointer.  So I don't really see that as a problem. If there is a problem with this team, it will be a lack of experience, I think.

But the thing I am most encouraged by is our quality wings which are the key to having multiple lineups. Good quality, midsize wings are the most versatile players, and can give you all kinds of different  looks.  For example, they can play in the paint if you want to go small or in the backcourt when you want to go big.  Having talented wings is the key to versatile, and  varied lineup options.  You could play Lovett with all three wings with Williams at the five and just run people off the court.

ras

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
If you have two 6'6 wings, and a 6'8 forward than I dont think your playing all that small. My opinion is to play your best players, of course sometimes you have to match up with size.

How about a Lovett, Mussini, Mvouika, Johnson, Williams lineup?
Dave, what is your take on Mvouika? Most posters really don't know much about him.

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »

I don't think we sucked 4 years ago. We have much more depth this year. Plus a few upperclassman . And our schedule is much easier. Not expectiing a great season but I remember sucking . This team should be better then that.

ras

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »

I don't think we sucked 4 years ago. We have much more depth this year. Plus a few upperclassman . And our schedule is much easier. Not expectiing a great season but I remember sucking . This team should be better then that.
We only had 6 players 4 years ago and except for Gift all Fr. Plus we played in the old BE.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »

We only had 6 players 4 years ago and except for Gift all Fr. Plus we played in the old BE.

Those guys were top 100 recruits. Some were top 50. This current group? Who knows?

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
I want to see wins, if small ball works than go for it.

redslope

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
As Al Davis said--"Just win, baby, win."

Don't care how its done--ugly, pretty, small or tall-all that matters is winning.

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »

Those guys were top 100 recruits. Some were top 50. This current group? Who knows?
They may have been top 50. Dom as freshman could even dribble.We also played with a PG. Phil was not good as freshman.  New big east big drop in class. If we are not at-least ok this year. We are not going to be good next year.

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »
If you have two 6'6 wings, and a 6'8 forward than I dont think your playing all that small. My opinion is to play your best players, of course sometimes you have to match up with size.

How about a Lovett, Mussini, Mvouika, Johnson, Williams lineup?
Dave, what is your take on Mvouika? Most posters really don't know much about him.

I can't say I know too much about him either but I'd imagine his seniority will help him be a contributor.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »
Timely;

@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working on using Felix Balamou as undersized PF. Red Storm will be light up front. Need to do MORE with less. #sjubb