Do you want to see small ball?

• 84 replies

Poison

Re: Do you want to see small ball?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:08 AM »
Timely;

@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working on using Felix Balamou as undersized PF. Red Storm will be light up front. Need to do MORE with less. #sjubb

That is terrifying news.

Tha Kid

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »
Timely;

@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working on using Felix Balamou as undersized PF. Red Storm will be light up front. Need to do MORE with less. #sjubb

That is terrifying news.

Only 1 inch shorter than Sir'Dom.  Not suggesting he will replicate, but teams have found success with undersized PFs, especially if Felix is serving in a backup role.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
Timely;

That is terrifying news.
Terrifying if Felix hasn't improved a lick since last season, or if Coach has recognized he must go to a really quick lineup as the best chance of winning games this season.  Or they're simply trying it out right now.  However - has anybody watched Felix in summer workouts?

Poison

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
Timely;

That is terrifying news.

Only 1 inch shorter than Sir'Dom.  Not suggesting he will replicate, but teams have found success with undersized PFs, especially if Felix is serving in a backup role.

I know but this guy got a chance to play last year, and he wasn't on any occasion able to compete at the BE level. Dom wasn't anything close to the top 50 recruit we expected, but he had moments during his first three years. This is the first news we hear about of practice. It's not promising IMO.

TONYD3

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »
If Samson stayed I don't think Dom would have gone off like he did. I think this will be Felix 's best position . I am hoping he can give us some minutes at the 4. He is athletic and tough.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
Best five...don't try to force a traditional lineup.  I'd expect the best five to be Lovett-M'vouika-Ellison-Johnson-Williams.  Try to defend that with a man-to-man and Johnson and Williams will abuse the bigs and Ellison or M'vouika will have a mismatch down low against a smaller guard.  I hope Ellison learned something from his dad about posting up, but if not, Mitch Richmond was the best guard I've ever seen abusing smaller defenders in the post.  If they go to a zone, insert Felix at the four and take out Ellison. 

This team has to be committed to being tenacious on d and [especially] the glass.  Johnson and Williams have to be flat-out bullies.  Lovett really needs to eligible or there won't be much hope. 

redslope

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
Timely;

That is terrifying news.
At least it will get him within his shooting range

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
Best five...don't try to force a traditional lineup.  I'd expect the best five to be Lovett-M'vouika-Ellison-Johnson-Williams.  Try to defend that with a man-to-man and Johnson and Williams will abuse the bigs and Ellison or M'vouika will have a mismatch down low against a smaller guard.  I hope Ellison learned something from his dad about posting up, but if not, Mitch Richmond was the best guard I've ever seen abusing smaller defenders in the post.  If they go to a zone, insert Felix at the four and take out Ellison. 

This team has to be committed to being tenacious on d and [especially] the glass.  Johnson and Williams have to be flat-out bullies.  Lovett really needs to eligible or there won't be much hope. 

Agree with most especially re lovett eligibility.  Why have Felix come in when playing against a zone though? 

Good to see you back
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
No one thinks Alibegovic could start in the middle? (Not saying I do) He showed some signs of standing his ground in the paint, and rebounding the ball. I'm hoping that he's worked hard over the summer, and he can give us 6 and 6.

Foad

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »
No one thinks Alibegovic could start in the middle? (Not saying I do) He showed some signs of standing his ground in the paint, and rebounding the ball. I'm hoping that he's worked hard over the summer, and he can give us 6 and 6.

I thought you only got 5 fouls in college.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 12:06:44 PM »

I thought you only got 5 fouls in college.

Lol. Yes, he fouls more than Dele Coker, but every single player on this team is a major question mark.

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »

Agree with most especially re lovett eligibility.  Why have Felix come in when playing against a zone though? 

Good to see you back

I think it's imperative to make teams defend the whole court.   With Lavin, defenses never had to worry about what was behind them...only what was in front of them.  Use Felix to establish the baseline by being in constant motion.  Back screen city for Johnson and M'vouika on the wings.  Williams seems like the prototype FT line zone buster.  One dribble to draw the center, and I'll take a loft to Balamou if he has a step on the rotating wing all day.  Good luck getting two feet above the rim moving laterally.  If the center doesn't close...I'm fine giving Williams 20 shots a game form the FT line.  It would be a good time to replace Lovette with Mussini to further stress the guards  if they want to overplay the entry pass to Williams.  Pick your poison. 

Also, athletic ability goes much further rebounding against a spread out zone that it does against man-to-man.  Nobody is more athletic than Balamou.  If you neglect him, you run the risk of being posterized in a split second.  He's not a complete player but he does have some incredible tools. 

Poison

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
Timely;

That is terrifying news.
Terrifying if Felix hasn't improved a lick since last season, or if Coach has recognized he must go to a really quick lineup as the best chance of winning games this season.  Or they're simply trying it out right now.  However - has anybody watched Felix in summer workouts?

He hasn't improved a lick since earning a few starts his freshman year. He seemed promising at that point. IDK what happened to him. Also, I see everyone is saying he's 6'4. I'm 6'2, and last year he definitely wasn't taller than me when I was standing next to him. He'll get thrown around like a rag doll in the paint if they put him at the 4.

But, if he does it for a couple of minutes per game, ok then. It probably won't be what kills the season.

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
At this time last year. Dom didn't improve a lick . Felix is certainly going to be smaller . But he also will be quicker.  Not a huge Felix fan either but I think he will do ok In  This role. What has Amar done so far where anyone could be even the least bit confident in. For us to competive both of those guys have to play almost average.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
At this time last year. Dom didn't improve a lick . Felix is certainly going to be smaller . But he also will be quicker.  Not a huge Felix fan either but I think he will do ok In  This role. What has Amar done so far where anyone could be even the least bit confident in. For us to competive both of those guys have to play almost average.

I thought Amar used his size well to rebound in some key BE games last year. Felix played well against NJIT 4 years ago. He hasn't played well since.

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »

I thought Amar used his size well to rebound in some key BE games last year. Felix played well against NJIT 4 years ago. He hasn't played well since.

8-10 mins for both

Poison

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »

8-10 mins for both

If Amar is playing 8-10 minutes a game, are we playing a 2 guard at center? I count 3 big men on this roster, (Alibegovic, Williams and Sima) and one with BE experience. I have not seen much of M'Vouika or Johnson to know if they are tough enough to play the four, but it seems to me that if the staff is seriously considering playing Balamou at the 4, it's because they just don't have other options.

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
I like how this has become a trending topic for St. John's hoops now. It's why you come here first
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
Has there been any indication from Mullin on defensive scheme?  Ability to defend post and rebound against bigger guys is where the answer lies. 

That this team does not have a single certain strength heading into this season is both depressing and exciting.

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
I've seen Felix, fundamentally, be a good rebounder. He boxes out, and he has great hops. He also brings a lot of hustle. Any opposing big man who brings the ball below his head could be subject to a steal by Felix' quick hands.

That being said, no major minutes.