Tamir Jackson - SG - St. Benedicts Prep - Newark, NJ - RICE

• 27 replies

kob24

Re: Tamir Jackson - SG - St. Benedicts, NJ
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
damn he told me saturday and i forgot to post it my bad. hes a good kid and i think he picked the right school. also look out for edgar to miami is what i am hearing

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »
edgar who?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:19:36 AM »
sosa?

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:48:50 AM »
what happened w/ xavier??

kob24

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »
thats a possibility also

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
well they just got holloway.  and two other pg's coming in.  so i doubt it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Tamir Jackson - SG - St. Benedicts Prep - Newark, NJ
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »
wow, nice get for Rice!!!!  He was looking at Davidson and Harvard and Penn too... must be a pretty smart cat.  I'd have taken an Ivy degree, though.  And Rice was 3-27 last year!!

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »
This kid is one of the most underrated guards in the country.   Wow, Rice? Really?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
wow, nice get for Rice!!!!  He was looking at Davidson and Harvard and Penn too... must be a pretty smart cat.  I'd have taken an Ivy degree, though.  And Rice was 3-27 last year!!
They hired Ben Braun, the former Cal and E. Michigan head coach.
Zagoria reported that Jackson had a 3.6 from St. Benedict's of Newark.
Max Kenyi, who will play basketball for Harvard, had a 3.31.
Basketball aperit portae.

Re: Tamir Jackson - SG - St. Benedicts Prep - Newark, NJ - RICE
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
This kid is one of the most underrated guards in the country.   Wow, Rice? Really?

I've heard good things about him.  It seems like he didn't get much attention from Big east programs.    Do you think he is Big East caliber?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »

Rice education is nothing to sneeze at...at all. Top Notch in Houston

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »

I am NOT dissing the Rice education at ALL.  But it's more of an engineering school, and much better known in the south.  With the name Hah-vahd, you can go anywhere and your degree gets that recognition.

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »

[/quote

Rice is known as the Harvard of the south.

Randomhero423

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »
harvard is harvard. 

LJSA

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
Everyone who thinks he's making a mistake by not going to Harvard should lend him the money to do so -- Ivies don't give athletic scholarships.

Rice will be free.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 02:14:13 AM »
Everyone who thinks he's making a mistake by not going to Harvard should lend him the money to do so -- Ivies don't give athletic scholarships.

Rice will be free.
I don't think he made a mistake by choosing Rice. If he plays his cards right with alumni, he should be set up for a nice postgraduation job either way.

The "Ivies don't give athletic scholarships" argument is funny. Sure, it allows for some of the conference fans to be sanctimonious. For the average athlete-student, middle class and below (which the Jacksons fall into), they'll get all the "grant money" they want. If Jackson's family doesn't have to pay a dime, it shouldn't matter to them if it's called a grant or a scholarship.

As it is, Jackson is gaining admission to some schools that would never admit him, if not for his ability to play basketball.  For some people, that alone is worth it.

LJSA

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 03:20:28 AM »

Rice will be free.
I don't think he made a mistake by choosing Rice. If he plays his cards right with alumni, he should be set up for a nice postgraduation job either way.

The "Ivies don't give athletic scholarships" argument is funny. Sure, it allows for some of the conference fans to be sanctimonious. For the average athlete-student, middle class and below (which the Jacksons fall into), they'll get all the "grant money" they want. If Jackson's family doesn't have to pay a dime, it shouldn't matter to them if it's called a grant or a scholarship.

As it is, Jackson is gaining admission to some schools that would never admit him, if not for his ability to play basketball.  For some people, that alone is worth it.

Do grants eventually have to be paid back? I also can't speak for the Ivies, but I know Stanford absolves you of tuition if your parents make below a certain income:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/20/MNABV5LHM.DTL&tsp=1