Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
Ha Grasso letting Mullin and Co. know he is ready and willing to serve if Slice doesn't worn out.

Are you guys hearing Pinkney as DOB!

Not him

Pete88

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »
Ha Grasso letting Mullin and Co. know he is ready and willing to serve if Slice doesn't worn out.

Wouldn't that be way below his level of experience???
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:55:09 AM by Pete88 »

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »
if it ends up being abdelmassih, grasso/slice, and pinckney, Pinckney is the x&o guy?  What role does he play for the bulls, is he more x&o or player development type?  I would be very excited to have him aboard, just hope he isn't duplicating what mullin can do at the expense of having an associate head coach type.    I guess carlesimo was more of a pipe dream, but it would have been cool to nab him for that role.  I do think it's smart to have two recruiters on the staff, so things are shaping up pretty well.

Tha Kid

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
if it ends up being abdelmassih, grasso/slice, and pinckney, Pinckney is the x&o guy?  What role does he play for the bulls, is he more x&o or player development type?  I would be very excited to have him aboard, just hope he isn't duplicating what mullin can do at the expense of having an associate head coach type.    I guess carlesimo was more of a pipe dream, but it would have been cool to nab him for that role.  I do think it's smart to have two recruiters on the staff, so things are shaping up pretty well.

Have you read any quotes on Mullin.  It sounds like HE is more than qualified to be the x and o guy.  What a refreshing change.  When Mullin got to Indiana, Bird said he loves Mullin because he thinks just like him.  Knows when to pass and knows when to shoot.  You better believe Larry bird doesn't give that compliment to just anyone.   Gotta think Pinckney is big man coach. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:05:57 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Johnny23

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »
Pinckney as an X's and O's guy? Seriously? Mullin can do better. They're going to need a bench coach that's heavy on in-game experience. Pinckney is supposedly a likeable guy and a HC in training. However they need an experienced tactician as a bench coach IMO.

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
Matt A first, Pinkney likely. Slice still being targeted.
Hearing rumbles of grasso

just so happens that Grasso recently followed, Yakwe, Lovett, Paschall and Malik Ellison on Twitter. Recently, I mean within the last 2 days
Saw that, but beyond Pinkney & Matt A, I suspect they will see if they can land Slice. If unsuccessful, I guess others, like Grasso type guys, would get a look.
Is Matt A the recruiter?
In my world we need two. Slice & a young "comer" would be a nice combination. Certainly Slice brings experience & other skills that would be utilized. I think Chiles got worn out doing most of recruiting, so I prefer sharing the load. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:16:22 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:40 AM »

No

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »
So the three assistants will be Matt, Pink and Slice (or younger recruiter type). Curious who the DOB will go to

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
So the three assistants will be Matt, Pink and Slice (or younger recruiter type). Curious who the DOB will go to

Another former player

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »

Have you read any quotes on Mullin.  It sounds like HE is more than qualified to be the x and o guy.  What a refreshing change.  When Mullin got to Indiana, Bird said he loves Mullin because he thinks just like him.  Knows when to pass and knows when to shoot.  You better believe Larry bird doesn't give that compliment to just anyone.   Gotta think Pinckney is big man coach. 
I don't doubt he knows the game, but he hasn't needed to draw up a play and then explain it to a bunch of 19 year olds during a timeout or run practices/drills for kids, teach them offensive and defensive systems, etc.  Maybe he'll be great at those things, but I'm sure he will want some help

Tha Kid

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

I don't doubt he knows the game, but he hasn't needed to draw up a play and then explain it to a bunch of 19 year olds during a timeout or run practices/drills for kids, teach them offensive and defensive systems, etc.  Maybe he'll be great at those things, but I'm sure he will want some help

Mullin has been analyzing plays his whole life. He has never recruited high school kids.  Mastering recruiting is most important right now w bare cupboard.  He has many many amazing coaches to consult re the Xs and Os and will work tirelessly if needed to remember them communicate them and get his players to implement them.  Recruiting focus is way to go IMO.  I truly believe that norm and lavin knew plays thy just were not good at analyzing the what each situation called for and thinking on the fly.  That's one of Mullins best traits.

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »
Ron Rowan?

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
Ron Rowan?

He would have to be an assistant

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2015, 09:40:53 AM »
Since I've seen some new members to the site, I think it might help if I post some of the tasks a Director of Basketball Operations is responsible for:

From an interview with the Director of Basketball Op, Univ. of Nebraska, Jan Bethea:

"What is your role as a DOBO?That’s a hard question.  As a DOBO you wear a lot of hats.  I am primarily responsible for overall administrative side of the program.  Most people think of a basketball program and think only of the coaches and players; however, we have a lot of support staff that help make things go smoothly.  First and foremost, I am in charge of making sure we stay within our operating budget and each year that gets harder.  I am the liaison for the following departments; marketing, academic, development, housing, ticket office, facilities, sports information, business office, alumni, booster club, and many more.  I also supervise our student managers and graduate assistant and serve as the office manager of our department.

My day to day responsibility is to handle all speaking engagements for my head coach, speak with our team’s academic advisor to check on grade progress, handle all scheduling needs for visiting teams, schedule our games for upcoming season, monitor our incoming freshmen to make sure they have submitted in all their paperwork for admission and NCAA eligibility requirements, assist with our teams leadership session (once a week).  I constantly work on team travel which consists of speaking with the bus companies, hotels, restaurants and other companies associated with our travel.  I can go on and on but I’m not sure you have enough space for everything I do.  Like I said I wear a lot of hats."

http://iousports.org/blog-news/sports-uncovered%E2%80%A6-director-basketball-operations-dobo
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:42:28 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
Ron Rowan?

Why?  Is his son committing?  Outside of that why would he have to be an assistant?  Sorry if I am missing the obvious.

Tha Kid

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
Ron Rowan?

Why?  Is his son committing?  Outside of that why would he have to be an assistant?  Sorry if I am missing the obvious.

That seems to be what Baldi is implying - well that if Mullin wanted Rowan on staff, and Maverick was at least interested, Ron couldn't be anything but an assistant.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:48:41 AM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2015, 09:50:16 AM »
Ron Rowan?

Look at Maverick Rown thread

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
Ron Rowan?

That seems to be what Baldi is implying - well that if Mullin wanted Rowan on staff, and Maverick was at least interested, Ron couldn't be anything but an assistant.

I do understand that.  It just seems so quick.  I know Mullin and Rowan are friends but if gets him to commit that quick it is borderline amazing to me.  Isn't he a highly rated prospect?

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
Ron Rowan?

From my post of the comments on Rowan, I'd want to know why he was fired from a High School position. Not sure what position he held from the comments, but THAT better be part of the due diligence if he is being considered for hire.

I should add - Mullin probably knows about it already.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:09:33 AM by bball purist »

Tha Kid

« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »
Ron Rowan?

From my post of the comments on Rowan, I'd want to know why he was fired from a High School position. Not sure what position he held from the comments, but THAT better be part of the due diligence if he is being considered for hire.

I should add - Mullin probably knows about it already.

With high school sports ya never know, could be that Ron knew way more than the head coach and let him and everyone know that, and the coach whose close with the admin felt threatened...and then he's gone.  My basketball coach in high school got fired because one or two influential parents didn't like him.  High school sports can be extremely political.