Obekpa

• 80 replies
Obekpa
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
3 rebounds in 35 minutes? Unacceptable. Send a message, start Amar

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:36:52 PM »
If the intended message is I am stupid, then yeah he should start him over Obekpa

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »
If the intended message is I am stupid, then yeah he should start him over Obekpa

We already got that message

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:48:25 AM »

We already got that message

Many times over

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
3 rebounds in 35 minutes? Unacceptable. Send a message, start Amar
First point valid. Sometimes players as talented at blocking shots as Obekpa overdo it.  Sometimes, I think he should fake an atempted block and go for a reb. And then there's straight out rebonuding. I'd still start him, but I'd make all this week about boxing out drills for him.  Watches shots too much only to rely on outleaping opponents. Not first time....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:45:28 AM by bball purist »

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
Guy is overrated . Plain and simple . He didn't play poorly . He just isn't that good. Not saying he is bad but he isn't as good as many think. He is often out played not because of a bad game but just because the guy he is matchup with is stronger and more skilled. Still think he is a big part of the team and hope he stays but he just isn't that good. Meaning much closer to a Sean Evans the Then a Hakeem Warwick . Sean Evans was one of my favorite players.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:45:08 PM »
Guy is overrated . Plain and simple . He didn't play poorly . He just isn't that good. Not saying he is bad but he isn't as good as many think. He is often out played not because of a bad game but just because the guy he is matchup with is stronger and more skilled. Still think he is a big part of the team and hope he stays but he just isn't that good. Meaning much closer to a Sean Evans the Then a Hakeem Warwick . Sean Evans was one of my favorite players.

He had a poor game, and he's had a few now, but let's not forget that he has also played very well against some strong teams. His rebounding against Depaul and overall defense wasn't where we've seen it against teams like Minnesota, LBS and SU. He needs to get going more on defense than offense.

This was a tough one to lose, but I still think these guys can hit a stride and make a run. And if there was any doubt as to who our most important player is, Harrison has reminded us yet again. Hope he's okay.

cjfish

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
CO is just a poor rebounder, too thin, can be moved easily, doesnt box out, probably because he is always thinking block.  It is impossible to believe he could play pro ball on any level...would be laughed out of Europe, fundamentally unsound.  Shot blocking is nice but he has to rebound to be fully effective and his lack of hoop knowledge, lack of bulk and refusal to work on it (bounding is 3/4 hard work)   is killing the team. Amar is less talented physically but his size and the knowledge and experience he gained in Europe can and will make him a more effective rebounder.  If he doesn't get 20M a game after this Lavin is insane. 

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
CO is just a poor rebounder, too thin, can be moved easily, doesnt box out, probably because he is always thinking block.  It is impossible to believe he could play pro ball on any level...would be laughed out of Europe, fundamentally unsound.  Shot blocking is nice but he has to rebound to be fully effective and his lack of hoop knowledge, lack of bulk and refusal to work on it (bounding is 3/4 hard work)   is killing the team. Amar is less talented physically but his size and the knowledge and experience he gained in Europe can and will make him a more effective rebounder.  If he doesn't get 20M a game after this Lavin is insane. 
agreed with much of what you said, except 20 minutes for Amar is crazy. Guy can do some good things but he still isnt very good

cjfish

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
Not that  good but we need another big.  He is a smart player, sets the best screens on the team, nearly always in the right spot, rebounds OK and takes up space.  Cant play JDR much, he shoots free throws like he is in the 6th grade.  He will make free throws and has a decent shooting touch.  Just needs minutes.  5 bounds in 16 is excellent.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »
I like that you are positive.  Maybe Amar will be good down the road. He does some good things now. The more he plays the more he will be exposed. 5 rebounds in 16  minutes = small sample size. Hopefully he can play smart and not kill us. That  missed layup looked like me in a men's open gym.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »
Craziest thing is how graceful Obkpa is blocking a shot and how awkward he is trying to dunk. I think he has missed more dunks than any SJU big I can ever remember. And that is saying a lot considering I watched Zendon Hamilto for 4 years.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
Craziest thing is how graceful Obkpa is blocking a shot and how awkward he is trying to dunk. I think he has missed more dunks than any SJU big I can ever remember. And that is saying a lot considering I watched Zendon Hamilto for 4 years.
[/quote

Lamont Hamilton
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »

Lamont Hamilton

Lamont Hamilton missed a lot of bunnies.  I'm not sure he ever tried to dunk.  That was so frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:02:38 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:24:58 PM »
Both Hamilton's would struggle down low with contact, but yes they would be number 2 and 3 on the list. Robert Werdann was not aa good finisher either. Obekpa though has missed around 10 uncontested dunks this year. The Mount Rushmore for bad finishing SJU big man would be Hamilton, Hamilton, Werdann and Obekpa. Obekpa though would be #1

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:18 PM »
seemed like he grabbed more rebounds this game.  That doesn't change that he's bad at boxing out, he let another guy get a rebound on a free throw that turned into a 3.  However, if you watched the depaul game, his lack of rebounds was more due to (i) the pace; (ii) that he was helping on doubles and traps; and (iii) that his man was leaving the paint.  he's not gathers, that's for sure

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
I think Lavin should send Chris out to San Diego this summer to work with Bill Walton.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »
I think Lavin should send Chris out to San Diego this summer to work with Bill Walton.
I dont know if i want anyone close to the deadhead hukaah master :)

dR3w

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
Both Hamilton's would struggle down low with contact, but yes they would be number 2 and 3 on the list. Robert Werdann was not aa good finisher either. Obekpa though has missed around 10 uncontested dunks this year. The Mount Rushmore for bad finishing SJU big man would be Hamilton, Hamilton, Werdann and Obekpa. Obekpa though would be #1

I seem to remember Sean Evans missing a LOT of bunnies in his time here.  Only about half way through his senior year did he start to get it.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 02:24:03 PM »

I seem to remember Sean Evans missing a LOT of bunnies in his time here.  Only about half way through his senior year did he start to get it.

My favorite Sean Evans memory is in a game against Seton Hall at CA.  Evans stole the ball in the backcourt and has a breakaway to the basket.  He takes off for a dunk from the foul line (reminiscent of Michael Jordan) and ends up about a foot short of the basket.  I've searched for video of that game and cannot find it anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:25:16 PM by simplyred »