Might be the biggest dumbass in St John's basketball history

That is quite a group of company.

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

How did you leave off Grady Reynolds and Sharif Fordham.

Moose

Re: Obekpa is NOT returning
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

I wouldnt have Willie on there.
Sharif's issues were after he left SJU.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

But what is the criteria? Lindsey quit when things got hard. Shaw played like he didn't care. Williams had a hard life, and later on showed horrible judgement, but at STJ, he was one of the best players in the program's history. And in regards to Jordan, I completely agree that he was high maintenance, entitled and immature, but he also put it together in the second half of last year, and I thought he played very well.

If it's a list that includes all time dumbasses while at STJ and beyond, Ron Artest and Jayson Williams have got to be the captains of that team. Also, we're forgetting Grady Reynolds, Elijah Ingram, Abe Keita and the ALMOST completely James Felton—who was kicked off the team by Fran Fraschilla because he was stealing.

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

i think you have to include Omar Cook on the all time list.

Poison

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

Omar Cook is the best point guard I've ever seen at St.John's. Why is he a dumbass?

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

Omar Cook is the best point guard I've ever seen at St.John's. Why is he a dumbass?

Being the "best point guard you've ever seen at St. John's" is irrelevant to him being a "dumbass."   Disclaimer: I'm not saying he's one or not. 

Regardless, let this "dumbass" thread and debate die.

« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka
I'd replace Shaw with a guy named Curtis Redding out of Canarsie high school.  One of the all-time hot dogs.

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

Ah yes. Forgot about Grady. A nice 6th dumbass

cjfish

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
BILLY Lawrence, flunks out after one varsity semester.....would have been an alltime great. Appropriately, Drove a beer truck at first and now is a retired Transit cop in Fla.  Jack Curran described him as his best player ever.

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »
BILLY Lawrence, flunks out after one varsity semester.....would have been an alltime great. Appropriately, Drove a beer truck at first and now is a retired Transit cop in Fla.  Jack Curran described him as his best player ever.

Wow, before my time. But didn't know this. Jack Currans best player, imo, Kenny Anderson. Best high school player I've seen

Foad

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

Quoting a well-respected poster

"Omar Cook is still making a six figure salary playing in Europe. Sounds like a pretty good career to me.

"I was in the street (after he got cut by Dallas) and everyone was saying to me you should have stayed in school. But you can't compare me to a Jason Williams," Cook said. "Jason Williams went to Duke and Jason Williams lived in the suburbs. Jason Williams had everything growing up -- I had nothing."

Could it be that the best decision for Rysheed Jordan doesn't involve some half assed sports marketing degree from a half assed school like Saint John's? Perhaps his best interests don't align with those of middle aged college basketball fans? Maybe it's not a matter of what could have been, for you. Maybe it's a matter of what is, for him."

Bill Goodwin - beloved by discerning SJU fans - admitted to being paid all 4 years while in college and was busted for possession of boo and cocaine while in the  CBA

Plus one to poison for the mention of Felton. Lenny Cooke.deserves mention, nobody pissed away more than Lenny Cooke. Moses Scurry as well.

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
Goodwin might be talking about the cash housing stipend given to players before dorms.

Malik Stith quit on the team after Lindsey quit.

Foad

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Goodwin might be talking about the cash housing stipend given to players before dorms.

Yeah, no. He was talking about being paid by an agent for four years while he was in college.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19880403&id=JOYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=eGQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6298,1626063&hl=en.

Also, Jack Wolfinger, dumbass.

« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey
Willie Shaw
Rysheed Jordan
Jayson Williams
Chris Obepka

So who's the coach of that team? ;)

« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
Coach has to be Jarvis, no doubt.

He was handed a very good team on a silver platter built by Fran. Fran's core of that Riverside Church team of Artest, Jessie, Barkley and Glover. The McDonalds guys he replaced them with never developed here. Elijah and Diakite were rarely a factor and Cook was 1 and done.

Recruiting, or lack thereof. Telling NYC coaches he wont recruit their kids and he's sticking w international and junior college kids. He tried the first year, he brought in those McD's. After that, he couldn't be bothered.

Jarvis for Dumbass Coach!

« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
The Riverside kids recruited each other.  Artest put the whole thing together himself.  Fran should get very little credit.  They wanted to stay together and still get PT right away.  Solution? Go to a school that's down.  St. John's certainly satisfied that requirement, plus they could stay home.  No brainer.  Fran gets credit for not screwing it up, but that;s all.  There was no heavy lifting like the current staff is doing chasing SP, RA, and MH.
  The other thing about Fran that bugs me is he seems to get credit for recruiting all the players that made up the elite eight team in 99.  Lavorr Postell who was a pretty good NBA player and arguably the best player on that team was recruited by Mahoney.  Also, Tyrone Grant, who was the leading rebounder and second leading scorer, was also recruited by Mahoney.  Without those two guys, that Jarvis team would have been nothing.  So don't give Fran so much credit for the recruiting all the time.  It kind of bothers me, because he doesn't really deserve it.

« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
DIS-A-GREE...WILL-E-G!

Poison

« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
Coach has to be Jarvis, no doubt.

He was handed a very good team on a silver platter built by Fran. Fran's core of that Riverside Church team of Artest, Jessie, Barkley and Glover. The McDonalds guys he replaced them with never developed here. Elijah and Diakite were rarely a factor and Cook was 1 and done.

Recruiting, or lack thereof. Telling NYC coaches he wont recruit their kids and he's sticking w international and junior college kids. He tried the first year, he brought in those McD's. After that, he couldn't be bothered.

Jarvis for Dumbass Coach!

Do you really blame Jarvis that much for not recruiting these entitled overrated shits? Norm and Lavin chased them around for years, and they never came. So Jarvis saw the writing on the wall, and chose to ignore them. I don't blame him one bit. F Jason Fraser, that overrated piece of garbage.

At least with Jarvis, we won some tournament games. He might have been a jerk, but I'll take a jerk over the incompetent loser we replaced him with.

« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »
Fraser was ours to lose. Staff bungled that recruitment.

Poison

« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »
Fraser was ours to lose. Staff bungled that recruitment.

Mr.Glass