Obekpa is NOT returning

• 137 replies
Obekpa is NOT returning
« on: June 18, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
didn't realize there were rumors...

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille
The St. John's program is different now. Real accountability and demands. Tough adjustment for some. #sjubb

Source on Chris Obekpa rumors: He's still in program, in midst of internship at moment. Could that change? Possibly. #sjubb

Re: Obekpa is NOT returning
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »

The St. John's program is different now. Real accountability and demands. Tough adjustment for some. #sjubb

Source on Chris Obekpa rumors: He's still in program, in midst of internship at moment. Could that change? Possibly. #sjubb

Someone on Redmen.com mentioned something a few hours ago about Obekpa not returning.  I'd rather wait for all the details come in.

ras

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »

Someone on Redmen.com mentioned something a few hours ago about Obekpa not returning.  I'd rather wait for all the details come in.
He swears CO got his release letter today.

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 11:29:36 PM »

Going to be a tough season but I would rather get rid of these guys and maybe take it on the chin this year. Jordan and CO have been selfish since day 1. Mullin was willing to let them come back and prove their worth but it seems neither has done so. Talented players but not up to par with this new regime.

desco80

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »

Going to be a tough season but I would rather get rid of these guys and maybe take it on the chin this year. Jordan and CO have been selfish since day 1. Mullin was willing to let them come back and prove their worth but it seems neither has done so. Talented players but not up to par with this new regime.

I agree, they have been selfish and undisciplined since Day 1. 
WIth that said, I hope CO comes back, I'd like to see him succeed here.

And I know half the board will roll their eyes, but at what point does the former coach get blamed for bringing in so many question marks?
And don't tell me it happens at every program.   Some of this happens at every program.   But not all of it.    There was a reason Jay Wright didn't recruit Rysheed who was a 5star stud in his backyard.
There was a reason some of the big schools weren't red hot about Chris.   

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »

And I know half the board will roll their eyes, but at what point does the former coach get blamed for bringing in so many question marks?
And don't tell me it happens at every program.   Some of this happens at every program.   But not all of it.    There was a reason Jay Wright didn't recruit Rysheed who was a 5star stud in his backyard.

But that kid Jay didnt want is the same reason we made the tourny this past year. No sheed, no tourney.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »

But that kid Jay didnt want is the same reason we made the tourny this past year. No sheed, no tourney.

Fair enough, he had a good season.   Not a great one, but he was pretty good on the court.
But when you recruit a player you're relying on his character then to do the right thing over the next year or two, or three.
RJ and CO have screwed the program over and over by missing games or failing to do the simple things required of them.

What good is making the tournament if your starting center smoked a blunt and can't play?
Any improvement Jordan made on the court this season is wiped away because he can't stay eligible.   
Even our role players jumped a teammate in the locker-room.    Wtf

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »

Fair enough, he had a good season.   Not a great one, but he was pretty good on the court.
But when you recruit a player you're relying on his character then to do the right thing over the next year or two, or three.
RJ and CO have screwed the program over and over by missing games or failing to do the simple things required of them.

What good is making the tournament if your starting center smoked a blunt and can't play?
Any improvement Jordan made on the court this season is wiped away because he can't stay eligible.   
Even our role players jumped a teammate in the locker-room.    Wtf

Progress if ADR & Joey actually "jumped" 😀

boo3

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
Yes, I agree. It's about time this board starts to get on Lavin.  What are we waiting for? 

Desco- what planet are you on?  Coach is gone . 

boo3

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
I mean, you basically spent the last 18 month eviscerating Lavin on here, now he's gone 2 months or so, and  you still want blood?   

Funny stuff

desco80

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
Boo, we come here to talk about SJU basketball..

Is it my fault that a lot of the things that have happened are at least partially his fault?   Lavin's name comes up again and again for good reason.
I know you might get tired of hearing me rip him... and I sympathize with you for that.  I try to lay off.
But it's not like I'm making this sh*t up.     He recruited some head cases.   More than a few actually.   He recruited others that had little to no shot to be eligible to play. 
And it's left the program in a truly crappy position.  That's why the conversation keeps coming back to him.

I want Mullin to be successful and would love for nothing more than to turn the page from SL.   But one of his prized recruits, who was a pain in the ass from day 1, is bailing on the program.
Today its relevant and fair to question if he was recruiting the right kind've kids. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:11:16 PM by desco80 »

boo3

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
We've already discussed this , beaten the proverbial dead horse. 

Yes, he brought in questionable kids.  A lot.  Majority didn't work out.

Also brought in 2 NbA players, Phil, Dom, and D'angelo.   

Some good, some bad, some terrible.

This isn't groundbreaking stuff here.  It's a reason he's not coaching here anymore. 

I just find it odd  that you feel like rounding up the troops again to talk about the bad job Lavin did.   

Ill speak for myself obviously,  but the last thing I want to read on here is how poor a job Lavin did recruiting.   I can just go back to any moment in last year and find a thread or two. 

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »

This isn't groundbreaking stuff here.  It's a reason he's not coaching here anymore. 

I just find it odd  that you feel like rounding up the troops again to talk about the bad job Lavin did.   

Ill speak for myself obviously,  but the last thing I want to read on here is how poor a job Lavin did recruiting.   I can just go back to any moment in last year and find a thread or two. 

Continuity

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »
Bottom line is w/o both RJ and CO, next year is going to be a fresh start with growing pains.  One year with or without CO isn't going to matter too much for the long term, so that's why I'm just looking at the new players. 

wpc77

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

Continuity

Yup. Plus the UCLA guys told us so.   I would pull the posts but it's Friday night and I am too lazy. We done f'ed up

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 08:41:55 PM »
Bottom line is w/o both RJ and CO, next year is going to be a fresh start with growing pains.  One year with or without CO isn't going to matter too much for the long term, so that's why I'm just looking at the new players.

Problem is that if we really suck next year it might be tough to convince the studs we are pursuing to come to SJU. Every handler, parent, coach will be watching this program under Mullin. And IMO if you don't win the studs aren't coming. Hope I'm wrong and every turns out for the best.

Wods317

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 08:14:23 AM »

Problem is that if we really suck next year it might be tough to convince the studs we are pursuing to come to SJU. Every handler, parent, coach will be watching this program under Mullin. And IMO if you don't win the studs aren't coming. Hope I'm wrong and every turns out for the best.
This is a concern of mine as well. The momentum Mullin has right now is crazy. We all know Lavin left him nothing for this year but if we go out and win 10 games it's going to hurt us in recruiting for 2016. It might just be a small effect but if we are fighting with Kansas for a top 40 guy and they are in the final four and we won 12 games it's going to make it even tougher to beat them. Not saying it's going to be a huge factor but it's definitely a factor that kids will consider. That's why I was hoping RJ and CO would be back so maybe we would have another 20 win season and be an NCAA bubble team.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
Ill speak for myself obviously,  but the last thing I want to read on here is how poor a job Lavin did

It's remarkable how often you express your displeasure regarding what other people find interesting and worthy of discussion. Maybe you should just shut your pie hole? Speaking for myself obviously but the last thing I for one am interested in reading about is you telling other people they did a poor job of finding something to talk about that you find entertaining.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »

That's why it's important they get some kids to commit this summer and fall.
If he Mullin has some prime recruits already locked up for next year, everyone will let it slide when his team of leftovers is struggling in December.

ras

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
It's funny , cause when Lavin was hired Norm got a much worse beating.. IMO , it isn't off base to blame Lavin for the depleted roster Mullin inherited, It was possible , however ,we could have had Sampson, Diallo and Poppa w Lavin, but unlikely.