Obekpa is NOT returning

• 137 replies

TONYD3

Re: Obekpa is NOT returning
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »
I remember really wanting Fraser. But he was not all that good. He was hyped like obekpa but no better.

« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2015, 11:32:02 PM »
I remember really wanting Fraser. But he was not all that good. He was hyped like obekpa but no better.
Believe you guys are forgetting he had two bad knees, numerous surgeries and missed some time.

« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »
Grady Reynolds the thug, Abe Keita, & Mike Jarvis, The Three Stooges of St. John's that I successfully wiped from my memory, as if they never existed at all, let alone associated with St. John's, are now back in my memory, and I now have to face the fact that they were real after all. Thanks a lot guys, you really made my day.

« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »
DIS-A-GREE...WILL-E-G!
Yeah, I recall a story that said Artest was all set to go to Miami, but a last second sit-down at a diner near LaGuardia with Fran changed his mind.

Poison

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
Grady Reynolds the thug, Abe Keita, & Mike Jarvis, The Three Stooges of St. John's that I successfully wiped from my memory, as if they never existed at all, let alone associated with St. John's, are now back in my memory, and I now have to face the fact that they were real after all. Thanks a lot guys, you really made my day.

Would Abe Keita and Grady Reynolds even be mentioned if Harry didn't fire Jarvis on Christmas Eve like the great Satan he was? Blaming Jarvis for something that happened after he was fired is more than just unreasonable it's plain wrong.

Foad

« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »

Would Abe Keita and Grady Reynolds even be mentioned if Harry didn't fire Jarvis on Christmas Eve like the great Satan he was? Blaming Jarvis for something that happened after he was fired is more than just unreasonable it's plain wrong.

Grady Reynolds was a Jarvis recruit who beat a woman while Jarvis was coach. Abe Keita was a Jarvis recruit who received illegal payments while Jarvis was coach and undoubtedly with Jarvae's approval. So yeah, it's absolutely reasonable to blame the paper bag Mike Jarvis. You want to blame Harrington you might as well blame Pope Paul VI. He was pope when Harrington was ordained.

Poison

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »

Grady Reynolds was a Jarvis recruit who beat a woman while Jarvis was coach. Abe Keita was a Jarvis recruit who received illegal payments while Jarvis was coach and undoubtedly with Jarvae's approval. So yeah, it's absolutely reasonable to blame the paper bag Mike Jarvis. You want to blame Harrington you might as well blame Pope Paul VI. He was pope when Harrington was ordained.

If Grady Reynolds "beat a woman" that's on Grady Reynolds. Not Jarvis. Before Reynolds came to St.John's did he have a criminal record? If he did, you have a fair point. If he didn't, you have no point. Like I said, the blame belongs with Harry. No one has done more damage to the program than him.

Foad

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »

If Grady Reynolds "beat a woman" that's on Grady Reynolds. Not Jarvis. Before Reynolds came to St.John's did he have a criminal record? If he did, you have a fair point. If he didn't, you have no point. Like I said, the blame belongs with Harry. No one has done more damage to the program than him.

So if Grady Reynolds did not beat a woman before he came to SJU, Jarvis - who recruited Reynolds and wrote a book about how he was in the business of molding young men like Reynolds for future success - he''s innocent, but Harrington, who never heard of Grady Reynolds before the day he beat the woman, he's guilty.

Congratulations. You've  made even less sense than usual. Maybe you should stick to telling people why no one should ever live anywhere else except the Valhalla that is Flushing..

Poison

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »

So if Grady Reynolds did not beat a woman before he came to SJU, Jarvis - who recruited Reynolds and wrote a book about how he was in the business of molding young men like Reynolds for future success - he''s innocent, but Harrington, who never heard of Grady Reynolds before the day he beat the woman, he's guilty.

Congratulations. You've  made even less sense than usual. Maybe you should stick to telling people why no one should ever live anywhere else except the Valhalla that is Flushing..

Let me simplify this for you. People are responsible for their own actions.

« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
DIS-A-GREE...WILL-E-G!
Yeah, I recall a story that said Artest was all set to go to Miami, but a last second sit-down at a diner near LaGuardia with Fran changed his mind.
I don't recall this story. Maybe you could provide a link because it would be interesting to evaluate. I remember an interview with Artest  where he detailed the process of bringing the Riverside guys along with him to Hillcrest so they could stay together.  He said they could stay home and all get PT. It worked out real well for them.  Now Fran gets credit for NOT messing it up, but he did not have to do the heavy lifting because the deal was already on the table when he got there.  We know Hofstra out recruited him for Speedy though.

It seems to me that this guy, with one tourney win to his name, gets way to much credit.  He criticized Carnesecca because he said his teams did not play haaaaawwwrd. (Gee willickers Fran).  Maybe because they did not shake their there heads back and forth while playing defense (which is very bad technique).  And  one more point; two of Jarvis' three best players were recruited by Mahoney. Not Fran.  Yet Fran goes around telling people that he recruited those players that made the Elite Eight.

« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
Fran deserves more credit than you are giving him.

The Artest going to Miami is a true story. The interview you heard is probably true too. True, the holdovers from Mahoney; Ty Grant, Lavor Postell were key contributors. However, Fran brought the program into the 21st Century if not the 20th Century.

He introduced weight training and conditioning. He was a great recruiter when you consider the athleticism and pedigree he was bringing in. Artest, Barkley, Jessie, Thornton, Glover, Gray. We started hitting 3-pointers, something St Johns never did consistently. We had five guys on the court who could rebound, dribble, pass and shoot.

Fran left the program in much better shape than how he found it.

« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
Jarvis' first two teams overachieved with both Fran and Mahoney's players.  But let me ask you this? What has Fran ever done since he left?  Nothing.  He had that one tourney win over OK to hang his hat on  and that is it.  He included games against DII schools in his win total at SJU and told people he won 20 at St. John's, but he didn't really. Didn't win a game in the one tourney he made.  And has done nothing since.  The best he did was get another mid major offer which he backed out of in the end.  I think he gets way too much credit as a basketball coach.  A very confident guy but just a big mouth overall.  And I'm very unimpressed with his knowledge of the game.  He acted like he had it all over on Carnesecca as a coach.  Are you kidding me?   What a joke!  He played DII teams and to start the game he ran four special plays to start the game.  The fans were actually impressed with this, failing to realize that it was against inferior comp.  After the game we heard typical Franny bravado.  THINGS ARE GOING TO DIFFERENT AROUND HERE FROM NOW ON!  As if to say he was a much smarter and better coach then his predecessors.  This sort of attitude infuriated Carnesecca and eventually became something of a factor in his dismissal a year and a half later.

« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
Never heard the stories you are weaving. Speedy kept his commitment to hofstra.

« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Fran deserves more credit than you are giving him.

The Artest going to Miami is a true story. The interview you heard is probably true too. True, the holdovers from Mahoney; Ty Grant, Lavor Postell were key contributors. However, Fran brought the program into the 21st Century if not the 20th Century.

He introduced weight training and conditioning. He was a great recruiter when you consider the athleticism and pedigree he was bringing in. Artest, Barkley, Jessie, Thornton, Glover, Gray. We started hitting 3-pointers, something St Johns never did consistently. We had five guys on the court who could rebound, dribble, pass and shoot.

Fran left the program in much better shape than how he found it.
I guess you are insinuating that Carnesecca had the program in 19th century basketball mode. (the game was invented in 1890).  Well, if that's where he had the program, I'd be much happier to go back there now.  They had a top ten team , on average, every other year.  He made the HALL OF FAME.  Don't even compare Fran to him.

« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
Never heard the stories you are weaving. Speedy kept his commitment to hofstra.
After he was hired Fran put in a call to Jay at Hofstra in which he told him that "I'm going to have to take a look at Speedy".  Surely you've heard that story.  Well, he didn't get him.  What other story haven't you heard?  That he backed out of the Iona job?  That he said Louie's teams didn't play hard?  That he acted like he was better.  That he didn't pay his due respect to the coaching legend at the school?  Don't think that was not a factor in his getting let go.  The locker room stuff was just the excuse.  And then also he was talking to Arizona State.  After all he was Fran Fraschilla and he can't stay at a place like St. John's for more than two years.

pmg911

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »

We know Hofstra out recruited him for Speedy though.

That is just not true at all...    coming out of high school, Speedy Claxton was not considered a Big East player. Do you remember his team at CTK..? He had high level Div I coaches at just about every game and the best he could do at the time was Hofstra.

Obviously he was better then the level he played at in college but also, would he have gotten the opportunities to shine the way he did if he had gone to a higher level school.. 

wpc77

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »

That is just not true at all...    coming out of high school, Speedy Claxton was not considered a Big East player. Do you remember his team at CTK..? He had high level Div I coaches at just about every game and the best he could do at the time was Hofstra.

Obviously he was better then the level he played at in college but also, would he have gotten the opportunities to shine the way he did if he had gone to a higher level school.. 

Absolutely.  Fran did not get beat by Speedy.

Foad

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »

Absolutely.  Fran did not get beat by Speedy.

And if Fran did get beat by Speedy, it was Father Harrington's fault, because everyone is responsible for their own actions.