Step up Christian Jones

• 67 replies

desco80

Re: Step up Christian Jones
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Felix and Christian were recruited by some solid schools.  Both of those guys, if developed, can play at this level.  But if you don't think so, that is even more of a reason to get on coach.  We were supposed to be done with the roster imbalance, last second reaches.
Agree that is all on Lavin. What schools were after either of these guys? Just because they are good athletes doesn't make them division 1 big east basketball players
Edit
Christian jones had offers from ok. State and auburn.
Did felix have any offers?

How is it all on Lavin if Balamou and Jones haven't improved? Is it entirely the teacher's fault if the student fails?

If the teacher gets to pick her students, she certainly gets a bigger share of the blame when they don't perform.

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Felix , Christian , Marco , and Max never should have been here. That was Lavin's fault . No coach could turn any of them into big east players.  Verdict is stil out on Amare, I wouldn't bet for him. Imagine if we got 2 decent players with those scholarships.
Unlike what most of you think . I really don't love Lavin. He isn't as bad as some ( most) make out.  He has done plenty of dumb things . Providence is a huge game. Could save the season . Can't imagine any recuit coming off a bad season with a new coach .

Felix and Jones were fine recruits for depth purposes.  While both have underwhelmed this year, they are not wastes of scholarships.  Max was Jakarr's best friend, helped our APR, and was only here for 2 years counting his redshirt year.  You could do worse than Marco as your 11th man. I also think Amar was worth a shot, and the jury is still out on him. 

agree that most of these guys aren't bad as the 10th-13th guys. I also don't think that jones, felix, hooper, et al. have no place on the team and shouldn't have been recruited.  This team doesn't need an all first team big east player to be better, but it could use one or two legit rotation players in the front court.  If the team had a rotation quality 4 or even a wing it would be a totally different team.  Then you could have a guy like greene coming off the bench (a much better role for him).  You could also keep obekpa and pointer out of foul trouble, while at the same time not have guys jumping three inches off the ground to get stuffed and tripping over themselves. 

If the first two off the bench were jordan and greene, or even obekpa and jordan/greene, this team would be in a lot better shape.  I don't think that is because jones/felix/marco were not good enough, I think it's just because the team was missing one player.  I think lavin knows this.  He might have thought jones would develop into that player.  He might have thought sampson would still be around.  He might have thought thomas would be that player.  I doubt he thought Adonis would be ready this year.  Obviously, none of those options worked so he clearly screwed it up.  That said, this team played some good ball this year and 0-3 against 3 good teams doesn't signal doom.

goredmen

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
Felix and Christian were recruited by some solid schools.  Both of those guys, if developed, can play at this level.  But if you don't think so, that is even more of a reason to get on coach.  We were supposed to be done with the roster imbalance, last second reaches.
Agree that is all on Lavin. What schools were after either of these guys? Just because they are good athletes doesn't make them division 1 big east basketball players
Edit

How is it all on Lavin if Balamou and Jones haven't improved? Is it entirely the teacher's fault if the student fails?

We would have been saying the same thing about Polee had he not transferred. SDSU actually made him into a basketball player when he was just purely an athlete. Lavin and co. wouldn't have done that

TONYD3

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
4 years ago I would have told you that Polee sucked. Never thought he was going to be as good as he got. Still even though I wasnt a fan of polee. I thought he was considerably better then felix or Christian .

Poison

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »
4 years ago I would have told you that Polee sucked. Never thought he was going to be as good as he got. Still even though I wasnt a fan of polee. I thought he was considerably better then felix or Christian .

Polee was very good as a freshman. Started on an NCAA team. Passed well, could handle the rock, and started to put it on the floor as the season wore on. Jones and Balamou have not earned PT, but no one else has either.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »
Edit

If the teacher gets to pick her students, she certainly gets a bigger share of the blame when they don't perform.

And he is getting the bigger share of the blame. Doesn't change the fact that Jones is clearly disinterested and lazy, and Balamou hasn't worked to develop anything resembling a jump shot.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Edit

The problem is that Lavin took one tooany gambles and then hoped that somebody would step up or be  an under the radar guy. It reminds me of a guy who kept going to the race track hoping for the big payoff and kept losing...I'm am hopeful they can turn it around but we saw on Tuesday they are smoked at the game and one player being hurt for this season becoming a disaster...

And he is getting the bigger share of the blame. Doesn't change the fact that Jones is clearly disinterested and lazy, and Balamou hasn't worked to develop anything resembling a jump shot.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
I really thought Jones would have a bigger impact this year.