Cam Mack - PG - Salt Lake City CC

• 157 replies
Re: Cam Mack - PG - Salt Lake City CC - ST. JOHN'S (signed)
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »
Heron is not an NBA player imo. Protypical college wing. Doesn’t mean he won’t leave and I’m sure Paultz has heard that if he’s gonna tell us.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
I love Heron . But, I’m not convinced he’s a first rounder. If he isn’t where would he go?

I love Heron, too, but he's not surefire pick in either round. Hope he makes the right decision. All these kids should get evaluated on the NBA's dollar. We could have several guys that should. 

paultzman

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
I love Heron, too, but he's not surefire pick in either round. Hope he makes the right decision. All these kids should get evaluated on the NBA's dollar. We could have several guys that should. 
Heron did get NBA feedback last year.
https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-mustapha-heron-nba-draft-20180404-story.html

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »
As of right now, Ponds is an early second rounder with the possibility to go late first or fall to the middle of the second. I'd say there is a 90% chance he's gone.

I don't think Heron would get picked this year as of right now. A lot of that hinges on his measured height and reach--which I suspect was less than what NBA teams had liked to see from him when he explored the draft. I think he can stick in the NBA as a role player so he needs to be careful about leaving too soon. Teams will want a player like him to be NBA ready since the ceiling isn't the same as a kid like O'Shae Brissett. It will likely be best for him to show more of his game next year when Ponds leaves.

This is a weak PG class but a very strong SG/SF class. That should be taken into account.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:05:25 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 05:00:18 PM »
Plenty of places to earn $$

He's never been in one place too long.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 12:55:48 AM »
I thought it was pretty obvious this was a one year thing with Heron. I will say maybe(?) there is a chance he falls in love with the school and wants to graduate but that is a long shot I'd think.

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2018, 11:08:52 PM »
I thought it was pretty obvious this was a one year thing with Heron. I will say maybe(?) there is a chance he falls in love with the school and wants to graduate but that is a long shot I'd think.

I'd agree with you if the process didn't change.  I believe that kids are allowed to hire an agent and still return to school if they are one of the 67 or so invites to the combine but go undrafted.

Barring a deep run or Heron just taking off, I don't think he'll get that combine invite.  This is a deep SG/SF...I mean just look at Duke with Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish.  He's not projected to be picked this year. Also, there are a bunch of players who were invited to the combine last year (Tyus Battle, Porter, the Martin brothers) that returned to college and will be locks to get invites after this season.  So the invites to the combine will be as competitive as ever since kids have nothing to lose by declaring and hiring an agent.

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »
I'd agree with you if the process didn't change.  I believe that kids are allowed to hire an agent and still return to school if they are one of the 67 or so invites to the combine but go undrafted.

Barring a deep run or Heron just taking off, I don't think he'll get that combine invite.  This is a deep SG/SF...I mean just look at Duke with Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish.  He's not projected to be picked this year. Also, there are a bunch of players who were invited to the combine last year (Tyus Battle, Porter, the Martin brothers) that returned to college and will be locks to get invites after this season.  So the invites to the combine will be as competitive as ever since kids have nothing to lose by declaring and hiring an agent.
Top draft picks don't usually attend the combine.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »
Top draft picks don't usually attend the combine.

I don't believe players skipping the combine changes the overall # of invitations, but I could be wrong. The point of the combine is to look at players who have a realistic shot of getting drafted in the 60 spots not to waste the time of NBA teams. 

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
I don't believe players skipping the combine changes the overall # of invitations, but I could be wrong. The point of the combine is to look at players who have a realistic shot of getting drafted in the 60 spots not to waste the time of NBA teams. 

Right. The point I was trying to make is that Heron would have a better chance than you were suggesting because it is unlikely the Barretts, Williamsons and Reddishs would attend  if invited opening up some spots for others that may not get an initial invite.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:08:03 PM by Celtics11 »

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2018, 04:30:29 PM »

Right. The point I was trying to make is that Heron would have a better chance than you were suggesting because it is unlikely the Barretts, Williamsons and Reddishs would attend  if invited opening up some spots for others that may not get an initial invite.

I honestly don't know much about the process.  I believe it's usually only a few guys who skip entirely.  More guys, like Markelle Fultz, will go get measured but not participate at all or only participate in a few things.

Either way, I think the rules are helpful for our chances with both Ponds and Heron.  Without the rule changes I'd imagine Ponds would be 100% gone and Heron 90%+.  I"ll take the 10% or so chance Ponds doesn't get drafted and the odds on Heron either not getting the combine invite or getting one and then going undrafted.

I can't see Heron getting drafted this year, and he'd be cleared for a return if had a combine invite.  There is also a chance Ponds wont get drafted and he'd be cleared to return. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:31:18 PM by Marillac »

cjfish

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »

I honestly don't know much about the process.  I believe it's usually only a few guys who skip entirely.  More guys, like Markelle Fultz, will go get measured but not participate at all or only participate in a few things.

Either way, I think the rules are helpful for our chances with both Ponds and Heron.  Without the rule changes I'd imagine Ponds would be 100% gone and Heron 90%+.  I"ll take the 10% or so chance Ponds doesn't get drafted and the odds on Heron either not getting the combine invite or getting one and then going undrafted.

I can't see Heron getting drafted this year, and he'd be cleared for a return if had a combine invite.  There is also a chance Ponds wont get drafted and he'd be cleared to return.

Heron not getting drafted based on what I see so far.  Ponds is a shooin for low first or high second round.  Ponds passing has improved dramatically now that he has people who can play.  Occasionally he lapses into a bit of hotdogging but that is okay because he is from Brooklyn and is incredible.  Often he is not getting the assist as the third guy in the passing sequence is scoring but, make no mistake, Ponds is the force that creates the open man.  Interesting game, team hustled on D but for half of the game D was not smartly executed particularly against the 3.  Offense was great, ball movement nice, pressure on D great.  Fig exceptional, Clarke had no foolish fouls.....in all a commendable performance.  We are gonna win some games where we just flat out outscore people while playing indifferent D.  If D rises to an above average to excellent level this team can go aways in the postseason.     

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »
Per @SLCCCbasketball

#7 Salt Lake CC defeated league rival #13 College of Southern Idaho tonight 100-91:

—Cam Mack (24 pts, 13 ast, 6 reb)
—Josh Colon (20 pts, 5 threes)
—Daron Henson (18 pts, 5 reb)
—Hunter Schofield (11 pts, 6 reb)
—Asa McCord (11 pts, 7 reb)

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 12:30:36 PM »
Per @SLCCCbasketball

#7 Salt Lake CC defeated league rival #13 College of Southern Idaho tonight 100-91:

—Cam Mack (24 pts, 13 ast, 6 reb)
—Josh Colon (20 pts, 5 threes)
—Daron Henson (18 pts, 5 reb)
—Hunter Schofield (11 pts, 6 reb)
—Asa McCord (11 pts, 7 reb)

Impressive.  College of Southern Idaho is always good.  Coached against them back in the day and I was really impressed with the program top to bottom. 

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:20 PM »
To the gentleman who thought Heron is not NBA material, I strongly disagree. He will have to go to the G league but he will eventually make a roster and do well. He is explosive to the basket and shoots the three well. I agree he may not get drafted (but he might) but he will be in the NBA. He puts the ball in the hoop and has the prototypical 6'5" shooting guard body that teams crave now.

Johnny23

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
To the gentleman who thought Heron is not NBA material, I strongly disagree. He will have to go to the G league but he will eventually make a roster and do well. He is explosive to the basket and shoots the three well. I agree he may not get drafted (but he might) but he will be in the NBA. He puts the ball in the hoop and has the prototypical 6'5" shooting guard body that teams crave now.

Problem is he's not a shooting guard. He's like a combo 3/4. He can hit the outside shot but his core game is taking the ball into the lane and finishing around the rim which he does really well in college. However at 6'5 he won't be able to do that in the NBA. He could have a good career overseas.

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2019, 10:48:47 PM »
Problem is he's not a shooting guard. He's like a combo 3/4. He can hit the outside shot but his core game is taking the ball into the lane and finishing around the rim which he does really well in college. However at 6'5 he won't be able to do that in the NBA. He could have a good career overseas.

I don’t see why an explosive 6’5” guy can’t do that. He’s got a pretty similar body to Dwayne wade who’s made a career out of just that. Why can’t he do that off the bench?

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »

He needs another year.  I don't see how he'd get invited to the combine this year with all the graduating seniors getting dibs over him, a strong 2/3 draft class, and several combine invites from last year having returned. 

I think he can be an NBA player.  He can guard 2-4, he can shoot, and he can create.  He can be a late first/early second rounder next year if he stays another year, proves he can be the man, and works on creating and distributing more.  Teams that will pick a player like him want a ready product and I don't think he's that yet.

Johnny23

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 11:35:52 PM »
I don’t see why an explosive 6’5” guy can’t do that. He’s got a pretty similar body to Dwayne wade who’s made a career out of just that. Why can’t he do that off the bench?

Similar body sure. Similar game no. Dwayne Wade could really handle and create. Heron doesn't really have that skillset. He's more of a better shooting, more athletic Anthony Glover. At his height I don't see his game translating at the NBA level. Hopefully he gets a shot.