Max Amadasun- OSL- 6'10 PF, BX

• 48 replies

QuanMan

Max Amadasun- OSL- 6'10 PF, BX
« on: September 30, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
@daves_joint

St. John’s still has a chance at recruiting yet landing another big in @max_amada, a 6-foot-10 senior at @OSLBasketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6nMuiNO44

Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

Re: Max Amadasun- OSL- 6'10 PF, BX
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »

SJUBB Takes

@RedStormReport

I have heard from several sources that the 2020 class is not finished. Expect 1-2, possibly even 3 more commits. Bigs to keep an eye on: Max Amadasun, Josh Gray, Cliff Omoruyi, Ahmad Rand. #sjubb #detes
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 05:57:39 PM »
I see St. John’s getting two more players, Christian Guess and Max A.

I also do not see McGriff, Earlington, and. Caraher finishing their career at St. John’s.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:54:17 PM »

I also do not see McGriff, Earlington, and. Caraher finishing their career at St. John’s.

What makes you say that McGriff, Earlington and Caraher?

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
What makes you say that McGriff, Earlington and Caraher?
McGriff there will be too many bigger guards that can play PG, in Posh, Wusu, and names that will pop up in 2020 and McGriff will get overshadowed, and I’ve heard that Earlington is a little slow for the Fastest 40 but who knows, he might come into it. Caraher is a just a name I don’t hear of much and numbers are going to have to work their way out because they are going for 2-3 more spots in 2020 and that means 2-3 transfers and some attrition which in this case isn’t a bad thing.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
McGriff there will be too many bigger guards that can play PG, in Posh, Wusu, and names that will pop up in 2020 and McGriff will get overshadowed, and I’ve heard that Earlington is a little slow for the Fastest 40 but who knows, he might come into it. Caraher is a just a name I don’t hear of much and numbers are going to have to work their way out because they are going for 2-3 more spots in 2020 and that means 2-3 transfers and some attrition which in this case isn’t a bad thing.

Caraher won the ROY as a freshman. That seems like a guy we’d like to keep around. McGriff and Earlington, IDK, but Earlington in limited time was more aggressive than Clark and Keita and probably should have been given some of their minutes.

goredmen

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:18:37 PM »
Caraher won the ROY as a freshman. That seems like a guy we’d like to keep around.

So did Mikey Dixon. Some guys can handle the bump in level, some guys can't. We'll see which camp Caraher falls in soon enough

Poison

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »
So did Mikey Dixon. Some guys can handle the bump in level, some guys can't. We'll see which camp Caraher falls in soon enough

You don’t think Dixon could handle the BE? I remember him being sorely missed after he left.

If you said Alpha Bangura, I’d see your point. Speaking of, half the time, that’s who Heron reminds me of.

QuanMan

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:11 PM »
Before speculating on any potential transfer, let's see who on the roster fits into this system first.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:28 PM »

It's why McGriff was a questionable first recruit. I'm surprised Earlington is even still here but part of me still intrigued by him as a project hybrid small power forward. As for Caraher I think it will all depend on how he's deployed. He's a heady tough player and I think he'll be a good glue guy off the bench in spot minutes. Also played a big role in getting Steere here as well as they were teammates in travel ball.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
Max played with Wusu in travel ball. Clearly building pipelines with Long Island Lightning which isn't a bad thing BUT they are the weakest of 3 Nike teams in NYC. PSA Cardinals and Rens have been considerably more talented for better part of this decade.

I'd strongly prefer Cliff Omoruyi over Amadasun. He also played on LI Lightning part time was also on Under Armour's WE R1.

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 11:39:58 PM »
You don’t think Dixon could handle the BE? I remember him being sorely missed after he left.

It was clear to anybody watching that Dixon couldn't handle the Big East. That's why he played a grand total of 8 minutes in the 2 Big East games he was around for. He would have been nice to have to eat some minutes here and there because we didn't have much depth, but he was far from sorely missed.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 11:42:21 PM »
It was clear to anybody watching that Dixon couldn't handle the Big East. That's why he played a grand total of 8 minutes in the 2 Big East games he was around for. He would have been nice to have to eat some minutes here and there because we didn't have much depth, but he was far from sorely missed.

I disagree. I think this team really could have used him during Big East play. I think his lack of effort defensively is what limited his minutes but he would have been a capable spark plug.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »
I disagree. I think this team really could have used him during Big East play. I think his lack of effort defensively is what limited his minutes but he would have been a capable spark plug.

It wasn't lack of effort that was the problem, it was lack of basketball IQ and the game was simply too fast for him on both ends of the floor. Interesting you'd stick up for him, a guy who proved he couldn't hack it at this level but are quick to dismiss Anderson's guys before giving them a chance.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 10:59:46 AM »
It wasn't lack of effort that was the problem, it was lack of basketball IQ and the game was simply too fast for him on both ends of the floor. Interesting you'd stick up for him, a guy who proved he couldn't hack it at this level but are quick to dismiss Anderson's guys before giving them a chance.

I'm not sure he proved he couldn't hack anything. I don't think he got the chance to. He played a total of 7 min in Big East action. Up to then he was hitting 3 pointers at a 43% clip. We don't beat VCU or Cal without him.

I think he was a solid bench guy who could score and handle the ball when needed. We needed that in conference play especially when Shamorie was on the mend.

He had his deficiencies but the last staff was too quick to dismiss him instead of convincing him to stay. It was a costly mistake.

Instead of Dixon we now have Rutherford a career 25% 3 pt shooter who is a cast off from Florida Atlantic and a bad Monmouth team. I'd argue that Grand Canyon University has more talented incoming backcourt than us.

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Dixon could have helped. But transfers are more akin in my view to bailing at the first sign of adversity, and so when you rely so heavily on that you are setting yourself up. Had we recruited in a more balanced fashion we wouldn’t have had as much of a revolving door. Had we had other recruiters that would have helped. Had our primary “recruiter” not cared as much about having his name in the papers or another recruiter getting credit, that would have helped too.

I wasn’t shocked when Dixon bounced because when you take on kids who left another school for various reasons you shouldn’t be shocked they bail again when things are going their way.

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 08:38:50 PM »
Dixon could have helped. But transfers are more akin in my view to bailing at the first sign of adversity, and so when you rely so heavily on that you are setting yourself up. Had we recruited in a more balanced fashion we wouldn’t have had as much of a revolving door. Had we had other recruiters that would have helped. Had our primary “recruiter” not cared as much about having his name in the papers or another recruiter getting credit, that would have helped too.

I wasn’t shocked when Dixon bounced because when you take on kids who left another school for various reasons you shouldn’t be shocked they bail again when things are going their way.

While I agree with you on us being too transient I disagree in your theory of guys leaving because they left before. Statistically it's more unlikely that they leave twice. I also think it was necessary to get a certain amount of transfers to fix scholarship imbalance leftover from Norm Roberts however I wish our last class had more true freshman.

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »
Have no issue with a certain amount of transfers.  They fix the point you raised on roster balance and a school like ours needs to rely on transfers/JUCOs to some extent.  Your statistics makes sense intuitively and I don't doubt you're right, but there is also level of nuance that goes towards recruiting those kids and you need to be wary of the risk they'll grow unhappy again and move elsewhere.  We were far too reliant the last few years in this regard; that's a reflection on Mullin not running the program properly and a reflection on the guy recruiting them.

Had no issue with taking transfers to fill the roster Mully's first year, just as I have no issue with Anderson doing it now.  Had no issue with Clark or Simon either given their pedigree and, again, the state of the roster at this time.  By year 3 and 4 we should have sought balance in recruiting and failed massively in that respect.  Of course you taking a Heron, but far too much otherwise the last few years when we could have been balancing classes and acquiring talent through other channels.

While I agree with you on us being too transient I disagree in your theory of guys leaving because they left before. Statistically it's more unlikely that they leave twice. I also think it was necessary to get a certain amount of transfers to fix scholarship imbalance leftover from Norm Roberts however I wish our last class had more true freshman.

NYCoffey

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 10:33:16 PM »
Committed to Pitt

Foad

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »
Committed to Pitt

Capel suggests Anderson to Cragg, which suggestion is deemed a home run by Krweweenski and shortly thereafter Capel starts poaching recruits from Anderson's backyard. It like an O Henry short story, nearly.