Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
The staff prefers Harrow.

I'd love to know what the staff is thinking based on whether or not MoMo can play immediately.  I honestly would only want MoMo if he can play this year.  If he has to sit out I'd rather take Harrow.  Is that playing into the staff's preferences?

A guy with some deep NCAA experience would be nice no?

Moose

I'd love to know what the staff is thinking based on whether or not MoMo can play immediately.  I honestly would only want MoMo if he can play this year.  If he has to sit out I'd rather take Harrow.  Is that playing into the staff's preferences?

Yeah definitely.  I think this year would be great.  A PG with Elite Eight experience leading a team of newcomers.  But if he had to sit out I'd rather go with the more stable, more moldable (if thats even a word) Harrow.  Either way you shake it, its a good problem to have.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Yeah definitely.  I think this year would be great.  A PG with Elite Eight experience leading a team of newcomers.  But if he had to sit out I'd rather go with the more stable, more moldable (if thats even a word) Harrow.  Either way you shake it, its a good problem to have.

Even if he does have to sit out, I'd take that Elite 8 run experience over Harrow's(plus I got a sweet spot for the locals). Unless of course this young team goes deep in their first season. ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:07:36 PM by Marco Baldi »

Marillac

I would think it would be because Harrow is a point guard with a higher ceiling whereas Momo is really a  combo... and we already have three such players on our roster.  We don't have an elite pure point on the roster. 

kjd01067

I agree I think Harrow has unbelievable potential and think that sitting out a year under this staff could do wonders from him and St. John's.  On the other hand if MoMo can come in and be our starting PG from day 1 as a junior that is hard to argue with.  Needless to say I would take either one but seeing as I think MoMo will have a hard time getting a hardship waiver from the ncaa I would take Harrow.  This is a nice dilemma to have though

Moose

Even if he does have to sit out, I'd take that Elite 8 run experience over Harrow's(plus I got a sweet spot for the locals). Unless of course this young team goes deep in their first season. ;)

Honestly I'd worry that in the year sitting out MoMo might leave for somewhere else ;)

Honestly I'd worry that in the year sitting out MoMo might leave for somewhere else ;)

Haha. Momo can be a travel agent when his hoops career comes to an end

The relationship is with Mo Hicks and MoMo. Hicks is or is like his god father. MoMo's dad passed away and Hicks was his father figure.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

The relationship is with Mo Hicks and MoMo. Hicks is or is like his god father. MoMo's dad passed away and Hicks was his father figure.

Any chance that would help with the ncaa hardship waiver?  Seems unlikely but an argument can be made nonetheless if Hicks is indeed his godfather and his grandmother is sick.

Why did he transfer away from his father figure?

To get qualitized

SJU79

Their are some concerns about how Momo would "influence" some of the other kids. Additionally as previously pointed out Harrow is more of a natural 1.

Moose

To get qualitized

Your loving that word.

To get qualitized

Your loving that word.

I almost threw up on the train when I read that article in the paper that morning. I'll be using that word alot, sorry cant help it
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:35:50 PM by Marco Baldi »

Poison

Maybe the staff thinks they already have a one & done on the 11-12 roster?

So if Harrow comes, he could step right in and run the offense while using this season to learn the system, get stronger and work on his game. To me, that sounds like great preparation.

I love hearing it, especially after watching 6 years of ball without 1 point guard. If Thomas expects to start right away, he'll have to earn it.

He should be fine w that.

He didn't "transfer" away. He committed to Arizona which was the best possible destination for him.

Their are some concerns about how Momo would "influence" some of the other kids. Additionally as previously pointed out Harrow is more of a natural 1.

This is why I said I would be "surprised" if he came. He's talented but in terms of team dynamics and chemistry I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Marillac

I know you are joking, but I think any school taking in a transfer has a certain amount of leverage, because transferring twice in college not only will cost eligibility but creates a presumption that the kid is has something wrong...no doubt that would adversely affect chances to play professionally. 

It's pretty much a kid's last chance and the kid and the coach know that and the kid better fall in line. :)  I expect Harrow to have a better mindset coming in (if that was in fact a problem like some say).  He was certainly trained well, let's see if he can be coached well now. 

Marillac

He didn't "transfer" away. He committed to Arizona which was the best possible destination for him.

I think the reference was to why Momo first tried to transfer to St. Anthony's, then transferred to American Christian Academy, then transferred to Oak Hill after meeting with Mo Hicks about returning to Rice. 

I really think Momo is not in the best interests of this team.  Does anyone really believe that he'll be better than D'Angelo Harrison two years from now?  He is a 6'0 combo that can't shoot well (but plays tough D).  Harrison is a sharpshooter and this squad doesn't have a lot of great shooters.

I think he meant -why did Lamont leave Rice?