Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
Hey paultz. Mully said on radio staff would be in place in 2 days.  Does that mean anything for slice or will we wait on him? I sure hope so. Also thanx for the info and sorry if already asked but what's up with the Avi? Is that thomas Bryant
Not Bryant. All I can say the few day reference to me was a good sign that things have been in motion. I also liked Chris' comment that he would like a coach with college HC experience, which Slice has. Maybe I am so psyched by Mullin coming that I am assuming the best on Slice. :)

Paultz, a uk fan is saying that slice is rumored to take over uk if cal leaves for the nba

That fan is sniffing glue really hard.

There is no way Kentucky hands their program off to a guy who was fired from Manhattan four years ago with a losing record.

That is an April Fools joke.  Ashley Judd would start wearing a "I Love Pitino" shirt before that happens....LOL!

sju89tr

« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Hey paultz. Mully said on radio staff would be in place in 2 days.  Does that mean anything for slice or will we wait on him? I sure hope so. Also thanx for the info and sorry if already asked but what's up with the Avi? Is that thomas Bryant
Not Bryant. All I can say the few day reference to me was a good sign that things have been in motion. I also liked Chris' comment that he would like a coach with college HC experience, which Slice has. Maybe I am so psyched by Mullin coming that I am assuming the best on Slice. :)

Paultz, a uk fan is saying that slice is rumored to take over uk if cal leaves for the nba

No disrespect to Slice but I doubt they would give the job to him after his stint at Manhattan
Thy would seek another big time hire 

« Reply #262 on: April 01, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »

No disrespect to Slice but I doubt they would give the job to him after his stint at Manhattan

Ya think...LOL!!!

See my post above.  This is KENTUCKY not Eastern Kentucky...LOL!!!

sju89tr

« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »

Ya think...LOL!!!

See my post above.  This is KENTUCKY not Eastern Kentucky...LOL!!!

Love it Fordham

« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:59 PM »

That fan is sniffing glue really hard.

There is no way Kentucky hands their program off to a guy who was fired from Manhattan four years ago with a losing record.

That is an April Fools joke.  Ashley Judd would start wearing a "I Love Pitino" shirt before that happens....LOL!

lol ok   I'll relay the message  :)

« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »
I'm sticking with the Slice comes back home to team up with the staff to become part of St. John's lore, and wind up legendary.  UK is easy to recruit, St. John's - well, these guys are going to elevate their games and succeed - I'm not worried at all about the recruiting.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:13:59 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
I'm sticking with the Slice comes back home to team up with the staff to become part of St. John's lore, and wind up legendary.  UK is easy to recruit, St. John's - well, these guys are going to elevate their games and succeed - I'm not worried at all about the recruiting.

I'm hearing it is very very much in play.

And if that happens...Katy Bar the Door...on recruiting...

TONYD3

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
You only get 3 assistants? Why would 2 recruiters? Not a complaint just a question. Do either Slice or Matt coach?

« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »
You only get 3 assistants? Why would 2 recruiters? Not a complaint just a question. Do either Slice or Matt coach?

Their coaches of course they do.  One of the primary jobs of an assistant is to be a recruiter.  They need to be on the road.

Kenny Payne and Slice are two of the best and have done it on multiple staffs before they arrived at Kentucky.

« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »

Their coaches of course they do.  One of the primary jobs of an assistant is to be a recruiter.  They need to be on the road.

Kenny Payne and Slice are two of the best and have done it on multiple staffs before they arrived at Kentucky.
As far as recruiting, loved Mullin's nugget about relying on his staff to help him, just like he relied on his teammates.  He talked about Louie's staff and how they weren't assistants, they were "Lieutenants."  Chris then recognized Ron Rutledge in the crowd - terrific.  We'd all run through a wall for Chris, I cannot see how the players will see it any differently.   

« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2015, 09:57:49 PM »

Through the years, I've watched a lot of Maryland insider.  The show is most informative.  They've done pieces on what each assistant does.  Even though they might have one or two real strengths, they must do these things well to be what they say in baseball is a 5 tool athlete:

1) recruit;
2) train the players in technique & nuances of the game;
3) plan practice schedules and team meetings (usually one specializes in it);
4) assist the dobo and HC with player communication as far as classes, personal matters (on a few occasions, I'd see players roaming through the Athletic Dept just to talk with assistants, even other personnel like alumni relations staff, to talk about classes, etc.);
5) break down game video fed to them by dobo

There's more to add I'm sure, and I'm probably missing one or two, but most of you know more than me on this. 

« Reply #271 on: April 02, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
any idea of when next staff addition will be announced?

paultzman

« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
CM referenced he hopes to add staff in "next few days" Usually this "stuff" is done incrementally.

« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
CM referenced he hopes to add staff in "next few days" Usually this "stuff" is done incrementally.

If Pinckney comes, when can he come after NBA season?

pmg911

« Reply #274 on: April 02, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

If Pinckney comes, when can he come after NBA season?

Lets all hope he is not hired

« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
Why?

pmg911

« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »
Why?

The program can do better, especially if Coach Mullin wants Slice on the staff

« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »

Better chance Ashley Judd takes over

Tha Kid

« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »
Why?

Is there a rift between Pinckney and Slice?
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »
Why?

Is there a rift between Pinckney and Slice?

Not that I know of. .  but what roles does Pickney play if he brings in 2 main recruiters.

Ed was not blowing anyone away during his time at Villanova.