LJ Figueroa Transfers

• 138 replies
Re: LJ Figueroa Transfers
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
All true.  Also, this doesn't have to be cast as a "bad" versus "good" thing.  It is entirely possible for Anderson's culture and what he's trying to build to be absolutely the right direction for the program, and LJ's decision that he wanted to do something else the best decision for him.  Just wish he would have been more upfront earlier in the process if he knew he was going to leave, but perhaps he wasn't.

I wouldn't exactly say I had my ear on all things this year but the rumblings were so loud that it came across my way in conference play. The staff got wind of things last week and acted promptly. They deserve kudos for that however they should have been on this earlier but all things considered with Covid-19 I think they handled this well.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »
I think there's a difference between fitting into a culture and buying in. LJ worked hard, didn't complain and was a good leader on and off the court. He did what was asked of him...That's fitting in imo.

Whether he liked Anderson's coaching style or agreed with his offensive and defensive philosophies is different. He is looking out for his future and maybe sees an NCAA run with a high major as a more beneficial than middle of the pack BE.

I see what you're saying and there is truth to it.

I can't say for certainty whether LJ did or didn't do 100% but I suspect that LJ would do something coach asked but there would be hesitancy or done without complete confidence. Coaches want guys to run through brick walls and do things without question. I think LJ felt he could succeed more and as a result the team would too.

Foad

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »
I've read the reactions here plus another ten pages of unremitting stupid over at Redman dot dumb and the consensus seems to be that:

LJ is a selfish player and awful human being (his leaving is a ""scumbag move") who refused to buy into Anderson's system and culture and so spitefully waited until the last minute to "screw" St John's, this despite CTC's gracious acceptance of LJF back into the St John's family after he had the temerity to enter the portal in the spring. Moreover LJF is dumb, because despite the fact that he's not very good he'd have been the focal point of the SJ offense, whereas now he's just going to be a cog in a wheel, which will not help his NBA aspirations. That said, LJ's transfer is a credit to Anderson's integrity and commitment to building a winning culture, which transfer it goes without saying comprises addition by subtraction.

So sayeth the worst most dumbest fan base in the wide world of sports.

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
If he is going to stay in College he probably wants to go to a College where he can make some cash, certainly wouldnt get it here. Either way theres no positives to this, LJ absolutely screwed St. Johns over, if he wouldve left a month ago we would have had Ray of the monmouth kid and now we are in trouble and Ray is laughing at us on social media, classy Mike gets shafted again by the sleeze dogs of College basketball, thats the thing that I hate about Mike is he wont get dirty, stays absolutely clean, and LJ got what he wanted and leaves St. Johns in a pickle, do it the right way and leave a month ago and St. Johns fans wont be bitter, now theres no reason to thank LJ. If I was Caraher, Cole and Williams Id be thrilled as they can take over that star spot if they work hard enough.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »
So when I posted he wasn’t happy and didn’t want to come back I was right.
I'll give you credit on this one man! He going to go get that bag, whether its overseas or at another College.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
I've read the reactions here plus another ten pages of unremitting stupid over at Redman dot dumb and the consensus seems to be that:

LJ is a selfish player and awful human being (his leaving is a ""scumbag move") who refused to buy into Anderson's system and culture and so spitefully waited until the last minute to "screw" St John's, this despite CTC's gracious acceptance of LJF back into the St John's family after he had the temerity to enter the portal in the spring. Moreover LJF is dumb, because despite the fact that he's not very good he'd have been the focal point of the SJ offense, whereas now he's just going to be a cog in a wheel, which will not help his NBA aspirations. That said, LJ's transfer is a credit to Anderson's integrity and commitment to building a winning culture, which transfer it goes without saying comprises addition by subtraction.

So sayeth the worst most dumbest fan base in the wide world of sports.

You have been on this since the middle of the season...
Credit where credit is due...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:30:22 PM by Johnnies93!! »

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »
If he is going to stay in College he probably wants to go to a College where he can make some cash, certainly wouldnt get it here. Either way theres no positives to this, LJ absolutely screwed St. Johns over, if he wouldve left a month ago we would have had Ray of the monmouth kid and now we are in trouble and Ray is laughing at us on social media, classy Mike gets shafted again by the sleeze dogs of College basketball, thats the thing that I hate about Mike is he wont get dirty, stays absolutely clean, and LJ got what he wanted and leaves St. Johns in a pickle, do it the right way and leave a month ago and St. Johns fans wont be bitter, now theres no reason to thank LJ. If I was Caraher, Cole and Williams Id be thrilled as they can take over that star spot if they work hard enough.

You accuse LJ of transferring to another school to get a bag of cash because classy Mike Anderson who makes 2 million a year would never stoop so low.  You're a clown.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
You accuse LJ of transferring to another school to get a bag of cash because classy Mike Anderson who makes 2 million a year would never stoop so low.  You're a clown.
Bro do you know how College basketball works...why else would he leave, he had the keys to the City and the green light on the basketball court with newcomers that would push the program over the top, and all of a sudden he wants to put his name in the transfer portal after other coaches have been in his ear (which by the way is illegal in itself), Mike wouldnt do it but he outta pull a Cleveland St and not let LJ gain eligibility right away, now if he goes overseas thats understandable but by gosh make up your mind and dont put the school that has your back in a dang pickle.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »

Oh good grief.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
You have been on this since the middle of the season...
Credit where credit is due...

Eventually you'll learn that I'm almost always right. Even the dumbest posters do. Meanwhile, enjoy these hot takes from people who are more pleasant than I am, and needless to say classier:

This is a poor move by Figueroa and really shifty

Terrible form by Figueroa.

LJ Figueroa just strung us along

Being classy (like CTC) doesnt get you anywhere in this world

good riddance to Figueroa

Good riddance

there's very much something sleezy going on in this situation, LJ probably wants a little cash

Figgy is selfishly trying to enhance his prospects of a pro career while st johns is concerned with team play.

LJ hung us out to dry

LJ screwed the staff and SJU

he had enough time to figure out which tampering program was the best fit

LJ had the keys to the City

Listening to someone in Nebraska?

they’ll be much better off without him.

total screw job, plain and simple!!!

$$$'s have got to be in the picture

Cut ties, no waiver granted, good luck in Europe.

a disservice to both himself as well as the program

LJ handled this poorly

never liked his game would not consider him a premiere player, anyone is expendable.

a bad basketball player

It looks almost spiteful at this point.

addition by subtraction
addition by subtraction
addition by subtraction
addition by subtraction

Grown men slandering a young man without a fully formed brain. Each one of whom would describe himself as smart and it goes without saying classy.

Foad

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
he had the keys to the City

Which City (because everyone capitalizes Nouns) Jethro? Murfreesboro? DeValls Bluff? West Memphis? Do tell. Who passed him the keys? Was it Derek Jeter or Eli Manning.

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »

The player is under no obligation to announce when he wants to transfer just as the school is under no obligation to renew a player's scholarship.

If we're blaming our best player for losing out on a transfer from a bad team in the MAAC we have real issues.

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »
Also a player in LJ's situation who was on the fence about transferring. Don't you think it would be prudent of him to get his grades back for this semester? Checking all waiver possibilities?

I really don't get why we're blaming a student-athlete for making a (hopefully) informed decision.

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »
Also a player in LJ's situation who was on the fence about transferring. Don't you think it would be prudent of him to get his grades back for this semester? Checking all waiver possibilities?

I really don't get why we're blaming a student-athlete for making a (hopefully) informed decision.

I'll tell you why because they think this staff was screwed by LJ. It seems like they were just beat out by Depaul and now they're putting out information that LJ told them he was coming back. Which obviously is not true. We know this staff can do no wrong though.

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
Eventually you'll learn that I'm almost always right. Even the dumbest posters do. Meanwhile, enjoy these hot takes from people who are more pleasant than I am, and needless to say classier:

This is a poor move by Figueroa and really shifty

Terrible form by Figueroa.

LJ Figueroa just strung us along

Being classy (like CTC) doesnt get you anywhere in this world

good riddance to Figueroa

Good riddance

there's very much something sleezy going on in this situation, LJ probably wants a little cash

Figgy is selfishly trying to enhance his prospects of a pro career while st johns is concerned with team play.

LJ hung us out to dry

LJ screwed the staff and SJU

he had enough time to figure out which tampering program was the best fit

LJ had the keys to the City

Listening to someone in Nebraska?

they’ll be much better off without him.

total screw job, plain and simple!!!

$$$'s have got to be in the picture

Cut ties, no waiver granted, good luck in Europe.

a disservice to both himself as well as the program

LJ handled this poorly

never liked his game would not consider him a premiere player, anyone is expendable.

a bad basketball player

It looks almost spiteful at this point.

addition by subtraction
addition by subtraction
addition by subtraction
addition by subtraction

Grown men slandering a young man without a fully formed brain. Each one of whom would describe himself as smart and it goes without saying classy.

How about just thanks for the compliment...sounds a lot better!!

Poison

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »
We are certainly not better off without our leading scorer.

That said, it’s disappointing that kids have zero feeling for this program.

The NY Post said that LJ wasn’t happy with his junior season. From the way it was phrased, it’s pretty clear that LJ doesn’t think he’s the reason why he had a such a lousy season.

Foad

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »
How about just thanks for the compliment

Because I care slightly less of your opinion of me than I do the opinion of my fleshlight.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 07:38:36 PM »
We are certainly not better off without our leading scorer.

That said, it’s disappointing that kids have zero feeling for this program.

The NY Post said that LJ wasn’t happy with his junior season. From the way it was phrased, it’s pretty clear that LJ doesn’t think he’s the reason why he had a such a lousy season.

Bwah. Senior leadership and roster continuity is over rated.

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 09:03:52 PM »
Its a huge loss. Without a doubt our best player. Sucks all the more because I loved watching him play.

We have what appears to be solid depth to help with the loss but there is no good way to spin this.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:04:45 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 10:41:21 PM »
Bwah. Senior leadership and roster continuity is over rated.

I know you're kidding. LJ could turn into a senior leader somewhere else, but I doubt he will.