LJ Figueroa Transfers

• 138 replies

Dan

Re: LJ Figueroa Transfers
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:57 PM »
Solid player, it's a big loss.  Can't spin it any other way.  At the same juncture it's concerning that Anderson was able to convince him to stay, and then he showed regression.  Now he's gone.  That isn't surprising.  It's not a good look for the current staff. Also I have to start thinking this BannerMountainMan is actually someone in Anderson's camp.  It's really bad when you have to start accusing LJ who gave the team some good years of needing to go somewhere to get paid.  Disrespectful, if he stayed you'd of been calling his incoming senior season to be the stuff of legends.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:45 PM »
Solid player, it's a big loss.  Can't spin it any other way.  At the same juncture it's concerning that Anderson was able to convince him to stay, and then he showed regression.  Now he's gone.  That isn't surprising.  It's not a good look for the current staff. Also I have to start thinking this BannerMountainMan is actually someone in Anderson's camp.  It's really bad when you have to start accusing LJ who gave the team some good years of needing to go somewhere to get paid.  Disrespectful, if he stayed you'd of been calling his incoming senior season to be the stuff of legends.

Staff has expectations for every player, and doesn’t make exceptions.

That’s a refreshing look imo. One we’re not used to at a program where we have legendary ballers that win nothing year in, year out.

Dan

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2020, 01:15:04 AM »
Staff has expectations for every player, and doesn’t make exceptions.

That’s a refreshing look imo. One we’re not used to at a program where we have legendary ballers that win nothing year in, year out.

I'm not sure I understand you here.  They have expectations and don't make exceptions?  Are you implying something regarding LJ?  All I saw was a player who regressed and then left.  I was hoping he could contribute at least at the same level in his junior season.  That isn't great for this staff.  I can understand why he made this decision.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2020, 04:11:50 AM »
I saw this coming. I heard from a usually reliable source that he was very unhappy here with the new staff and system. At the time I posted that he would be gone even if it meant sitting out and transferring.

As time went on it looked less and less like he was leaving. He’s an awesome player. I’d much rather have him than not, but this is the right move for him assuming he picks a better fit.

We are obsessed with assessing blame when something doesn’t work out, but I think players like Heron and LJ are simply better suited for different playing styles. We don’t need to blame the player is the coach.

What kind of pisses me off is that Perez would have been a really damn good replacement—perhaps even better in some ways.

2020-21 looks like a deep team. The one obvious weakness I see is proven scoring. After Cole, who I expect to score a lot in spite of his lack of experience, we don’t have another consistent scoring threat unless someone really steps up.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »
If he wants to go. Then just wish him well. I won’t miss the 28’ three point attempts honestly. And the floater that misses more often then not. Someone else will step up. And that will be great to see. Good luck LJF!

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
Finished in 8th place with him leading the way. Time to move on. Champagnie’s team now, go get it kid

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
I believe Pitino recruited him out of high school

Foad

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 10:21:28 AM »
I believe Pitino recruited him out of high school

That would be hilarious.

ras

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »
As others have mentioned. I don’t begrudge LJ for transferring. What pisses me off is that he waited until the end of May to announce.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
As others have mentioned. I don’t begrudge LJ for transferring. What pisses me off is that he waited until the end of May to announce.

Exactly.

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »

You mean at the end of the semester in the middle of a global pandemic?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »
Exactly.

I agree Marillac....just wish we knew earlier so that we could have possibly landed Perez....but is what it is now...

Foad

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
The hottest of hot takes: FIGUEROA BOAT ASHORE

http://www.bigeastboards.com/

jr49

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »
So when I posted he wasn’t happy and didn’t want to come back I was right.
Is it ok to tell us what made him unhappy?

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »
The hottest of hot takes: FIGUEROA BOAT ASHORE

http://www.bigeastboards.com/

Hysterical.  Nicely done.  Only thing I'd say is that I'm not sure if Figgy is a grad transfer, since many articles or posts I've read talked about him needing a waiver to play right away.  But perhaps I missed that given all the opinions being given.

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »
Is it ok to tell us what made him unhappy?

Starts with M and ends with N.

Didn't get along. A lot of other players aren't exactly fond of him either but they also don't have many options to play on this level and get playing time. I think if they did Roberts and Williams were gone. I also think that's why you saw Williams get a bump in minutes towards end of last year because he was very close to bouncing.

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »
I thought Earlington, Williams and Roberts were like BFF's etc.

chance Williams gets his degree after this season and then bolts ?

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
Hysterical.  Nicely done.  Only thing I'd say is that I'm not sure if Figgy is a grad transfer, since many articles or posts I've read talked about him needing a waiver to play right away.  But perhaps I missed that given all the opinions being given.

Would commend him for graduation in 3 years...and also don’t believe the hype that staff didn’t know....back in late 80s and early 90s they had to sign off on all classes and books for all of our full scholarship athletes...I’m sure in today’s age they knew exactly what he was taking academically...good luck to LJ in his future....

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
I thought Earlington, Williams and Roberts were like BFF's etc.

chance Williams gets his degree after this season and then bolts ?

I'm sure it's possible. I think a lot will depend on this season.

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2020, 06:57:00 PM »
Would commend him for graduation in 3 years...and also don’t believe the hype that staff didn’t know....back in late 80s and early 90s they had to sign off on all classes and books for all of our full scholarship athletes...I’m sure in today’s age they knew exactly what he was taking academically...good luck to LJ in his future....

This isn't the 80's dude. They have academic advisors now specifically dedicated to the athletes. He took that and added more classes online. Doesn't really matter at this point as it all pointed to him wanting out which he is.