LJ Figueroa Transfers

• 138 replies
Re: LJ Figueroa Transfers
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »
This isn't the 80's dude. They have academic advisors now specifically dedicated to the athletes. He took that and added more classes online. Doesn't really matter at this point as it all pointed to him wanting out which he is.

So who paid and approved for the online classes? In 1990 I wanted to take a summer class and I needed 3 signatures...you mean to tell me today our athletes can just take classes at their own will...I’m not doubting you, but doesn’t it seem odd to you that the protocols for full scholarship athletes have less of a gauge on what athletes are doing today compared to 30 years ago?

Foad

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »
Hysterical.  Nicely done.  Only thing I'd say is that I'm not sure if Figgy is a grad transfer, since many articles or posts I've read talked about him needing a waiver to play right away.  But perhaps I missed that given all the opinions being given.

It's weird. I at this point believe in almost anything: ghosts, yeti, we're living in a simulation, parallel universes, UFOs, god, why not. I'm so cynical that I don't trust my own skepticism anymore. There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio, etc. Whereas in real life geriatric sex god Anthony Fauci - who funded the bat virus lab in China from whence the end of the world arose - is chumming around the world with vaxxer in chief let's put a chip in your head Bill Gates - who just last fall ran a bat virus pandemic simulation at the Gates institute - whilst simultaneously flying around the world with Jeffrey Epstein, who is not at all a Mossad agent and who absolutely hanged himself. I can believe all that is real. LJF as diabolical Doctor Evil, I'm sorry, that's a bridge too far. 

My understanding is he graduated. If he did he doesn't have to sit out. If he doesn't have to sit out he's free to go and do and be. On the bright side he sucked anyway. Addition by subtraction.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »
you mean to tell me today our athletes can just take classes at their own will.

WTF!? That sounds like a dystopian nightmare, college students signing up on their own for courses they find interesting. What's next? They get to select their own breakfast cereals? No. This shall not stand. Opposition to Captain Crunch is the hill we should all die on. Or Count Chocula, depending on your tolerance of gluten and lactose.

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2020, 07:40:18 PM »
WTF!? That sounds like a dystopian nightmare, college students signing up on their own for courses they find interesting. What's next? They get to select their own breakfast cereals? No. This shall not stand. Opposition to Captain Crunch is the hill we should all die on. Or Count Chocula, depending on your tolerance of gluten and lactose.

Wait so you don’t think a student athlete on full scholarship should at least have schedules analyzed by someone within the athletic department?

Poison

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »
Has Figueroa decided if he’s transferring to Duke, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers or Iona yet?

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2020, 11:37:26 PM »
So who paid and approved for the online classes? In 1990 I wanted to take a summer class and I needed 3 signatures...you mean to tell me today our athletes can just take classes at their own will...I’m not doubting you, but doesn’t it seem odd to you that the protocols for full scholarship athletes have less of a gauge on what athletes are doing today compared to 30 years ago?

You log onto St. John's central on the internet and you register for classes. Most student athletes take 15 credits a semester but you can take up to 21.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 07:10:14 AM »
You log onto St. John's central on the internet and you register for classes. Most student athletes take 15 credits a semester but you can take up to 21.

Athletes have their schedules made for them. It’s actually somewhat of an art and it’s one of the principal jobs of the DOBO in competent departments. In top conferences the DOBO works side by side with an academic coordinator.

In any event, student athletes waive certain rights to privacy as a condition of their scholarship. We should not have been blindsided by this. If he was within a summer session of graduating this should have been known in the fall. This isn’t the kind of thing that can just sneak up on you.

I am surprised and impressed if LJ is able to get the 70+ credits needed in two years. That’s no easy task playing a sport.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:29:56 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
Athletes have their schedules made for them. It’s actually somewhat of an art and it’s one of the principal jobs of the DOBO in competent departments. In top conferences the DOBO works side by side with an academic coordinator.

In any event, student athletes waive certain rights to provacy as a condition of their scholarship. We should not have been blindsided by this. If he was within a summer session of graduating this should have been known in the fall. This isn’t the kind of thing that can just sneak up on you.

I am surprised and impressed if LJ is able to get the 70+ credits needed in two years. That’s no easy task playing a sport.

Thanks Marillac for your insight....when I was there we had to have all our classes approved and then books approved as well...we couldn’t drop a class without consent and our bill was stamped and signed off on by 3 different people and this was 30 years ago!!!

Foad

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2020, 01:28:02 PM »
Athletes have their schedules made for them. It’s actually somewhat of an art and it’s one of the principal jobs of the DOBO

If the DOBO made LJF's schedule how did the staff not know he was on pace to graduate? And if the staff did know he was on pace to graduate and knew also that LJF didn't like CTC - and even I knew that - how was the staff blindsided? Shouldn't they have had one of those back-up plans everyone used to talk about during the previous regime? Inquiring minds, etc.

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
If the DOBO made LJF's schedule how did the staff not know he was on pace to graduate? And if the staff did know he was on pace to graduate and knew also that LJF didn't like CTC - and even I knew that - how was the staff blindsided? Shouldn't they have had one of those back-up plans everyone used to talk about during the previous regime? Inquiring minds, etc.

Let me first say that I have absolutely no insight into the LJ situation. I am just taking Dave’s info as true.

As a former student athlete at St. John’s and someone very familiar with how this stuff was handled with prior SJU staffs, I don’t see how it’s possible that the staff wasn’t aware—short of just completely dropping the ball.

The schedules are prepared for the athletes. Many classes, especially in the summer, were only open to athletes. Of course the athlete can change the schedule, but for the DOBO and the athletic acetic coordinator to not be aware that LJ is within striking distance of graduating is pure negligence if true.

Most basketball players take 9 credits in season. They load up in the summer sessions. Any player  taking 15 would raise flags to anyone who understands the system.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »

Perhaps this will be more clear...imagine having a player with a year of eligibility left after the season that is 6-9 credits shy of graduating after the spring semester...or entering the spring 21-24 credits shy. A kid that entered the transfer portal the year prior at that...and one that moped around all season like his puppy just died.

If what Dave is saying is true, we should have been ready for this.

jr49

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 02:17:58 PM »
Starts with M and ends with N.

Didn't get along. A lot of other players aren't exactly fond of him either but they also don't have many options to play on this level and get playing time. I think if they did Roberts and Williams were gone. I also think that's why you saw Williams get a bump in minutes towards end of last year because he was very close to bouncing.
those 2 guys got the time as soon as the had earned it. Roberts saw min. sooner. Why do guys who improve and figure to get good time next year wanna leave. Is the staff beating these youngsters with a stick? Way I see it, only mistake coach made was he stopped reqruiting a bit early. Maybe stuff I dont know. Are a lot of guys on the board unhappy with coach.

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »
Let me first say that I have absolutely no insight into the LJ situation. I am just taking Dave’s info as true.

As a former student athlete at St. John’s and someone very familiar with how this stuff was handled with prior SJU staffs, I don’t see how it’s possible that the staff wasn’t aware—short of just completely dropping the ball.

The schedules are prepared for the athletes. Many classes, especially in the summer, were only open to athletes. Of course the athlete can change the schedule, but for the DOBO and the athletic acetic coordinator to not be aware that LJ is within striking distance of graduating is pure negligence if true.

Most basketball players take 9 credits in season. They load up in the summer sessions. Any player  taking 15 would raise flags to anyone who understands the system.

Good post Marillac....
I am a former SJU athlete on a full boat and I know my schedule was scrutinized 30 years ago...I’m also taking Dave at his word and to me the person in charge should be fired immediately....I was there in late 80s an early 90s....I had books also included and I’m telling you, back then they knew everything I was doing academically....now Dave said LJ took classes without anyone’s knowledge..I believe him and to me based on what he said, heads need to roll!!

Thanks Dave for pointing How bad we missed this one.... and as alumni I am shocked....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:42:52 PM by Johnnies93!! »

Foad

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »
I am a former SJU athlete on a full boat

Field hockey?

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2020, 05:12:20 PM »
Good post Marillac....
I am a former SJU athlete on a full boat and I know my schedule was scrutinized 30 years ago...I’m also taking Dave at his word and to me the person in charge should be fired immediately....I was there in late 80s an early 90s....I had books also included and I’m telling you, back then they knew everything I was doing academically....now Dave said LJ took classes without anyone’s knowledge..I believe him and to me based on what he said, heads need to roll!!

Thanks Dave for pointing How bad we missed this one.... and as alumni I am shocked....

Staff caught wind shortly after word was posted around here and the transfer announcement followed soon after.

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
LJ put his name in transfer portal two years in a row. He obviously wants greener pastures. It's mean to say good riddance but that's how I feel. It would have been nice if we knew this earlier but who knows when he decided to transfer rather than go pro (or keep his options open). There is time to fill the scholarship with some useful player.   He played hard and seems like a good kid so best of luck to him. 

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
Dave what does "staff caught wind" mean in regards to the actions they took?

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »
Dave what does "staff caught wind" mean in regards to the actions they took?

They put pressure on LJ to make decision

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »
Say hi to Chris Huey guys. He checks these boards.

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »