Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »
The locals in BE are all horrible; SH had 15 turnovers in first half alone.

“@NYPost_Brazille: Providence snaps 5-game losing streak 67-55. Seton Hall now 1-3 in Big East. That was ug-ly. #shbb”

The way things are going, the battle for the Big East basement is going to be a dog fight.

paultzman

« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »
“@ReggieRankin: Looks like UCONN has landed C Amida Brimah. Extra long and mobile, blocks shots.Thin but very active. Saw in the fall. Great Upside!”

paultzman

« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
“@BigEastMBB: Syracuse F C.J. Fair (22.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg) is the BIG EAST Player of the Week. St. John's C Chris Obekpa is the BIG EAST Rookie of the Week.”

Moose

« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
“@BigEastMBB: Syracuse F C.J. Fair (22.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg) is the BIG EAST Player of the Week. St. John's C Chris Obekpa is the BIG EAST Rookie of the Week.”

Karr off to the hot start now watch Obekpa pile up ROW honors.  Don't be shocked if he's ROY instead.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »

Karr off to the hot start now watch Obekpa pile up ROW honors.  Don't be shocked if he's ROY instead.

I think that by the time he's a junior, he could be the best defensive big man, we've ever had. Growing pains are hard to stomach though. I love his potential, but you have to wonder what the rest of the league has in terms of freshman, if two lousy games gets him an award.

Moose

« Reply #265 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »

I think that by the time he's a junior, he could be the best defensive big man, we've ever had. Growing pains are hard to stomach though. I love his potential, but you have to wonder what the rest of the league has in terms of freshman, if two lousy games gets him an award.

2 games?  His BE number show the rebounds increasing.  The blocks aren't going away.  Yes the offense needs work but his presence is game changing.

Pretty much exactly what I called in March of last year when I saw him (Marillac pat on the back moment)

paultzman

« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »

2 games?  His BE number show the rebounds increasing.  The blocks aren't going away.  Yes the offense needs work but his presence is game changing.

Pretty much exactly what I called in March of last year when I saw him (Marillac pat on the back moment)

Good synopsis of CO's progress;

“@ECoastBias: Chris Obekpa wins Big East Rookie of the Week - & now does more than block shots. @bigeastmbb #stjbb http://t.co/s4FxELpx

Chilleb

« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »
Obekpa is more nba than karr IMO but with that said both need to come back to school. Development is needed for both.

paultzman

« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
Obekpa is more nba than karr IMO but with that said both need to come back to school. Development is needed for both.

+1

paultzman

« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »
“@BigEastMBB: Check out the highlights of the Player and Rookie of the Week C.J. Fair and Chris Obekpa. @cuse @STJ_Basketball http://t.co/SgMxjLOa

Notice the blocks stay in play.

« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

nephew, who do you see as ROY contenders thus far?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »

Agree that CO is a great shot blocker and has had an effect on defense inside even when he doesn't block a shot and I love having him but I think to be labeled a "game changer" you have too be changing losses into wins and we are still losing these games. I do think he has the potential to be a game changer in terms of being the difference in us winning games and I hope that happens soon.

Moose

« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »

Karr, Ryan A, and Omar are the only three Fresh in the Top 40 in BE scoring.  I liked Adams coming into the year but he's been all over the place and inconsistent.  Dunn hasnt lit the world on fire and Harrell is putting up nice numbers but not many MPG.

I'd say my top 5 would be Karr, Ryan A, Obekpa, Omar, Adams.

Moose

« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »

Agree that CO is a great shot blocker and has had an effect on defense inside even when he doesn't block a shot and I love having him but I think to be labeled a "game changer" you have too be changing losses into wins and we are still losing these games. I do think he has the potential to be a game changer in terms of being the difference in us winning games and I hope that happens soon.

Nova game would have never saw OT and the Cincy game would have been a loss.  Rutgers would have been a bigger beatdown.  Thats game changing to me.  He makes players think twice about what they are doing on the court.

desco80

« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »

Nova game would have never saw OT and the Cincy game would have been a loss.  Rutgers would have been a bigger beatdown.  Thats game changing to me.  He makes players think twice about what they are doing on the court.

I'm not disagreeing with you Moose, but think about this... does a Big East Rookie of the Year, who's best attribute by far is his defense; have games like USF where the pg drove right at him time after time?  Or the Georgetown game where Lubick was 4 for 4 I think posting him up?   

He might end up deserving it, but I'm just saying... if defense is his calling card then maybe those things shouldn't be happening. 

I think Jakarr ends up bringing it home.   

Moose

« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »

I'm not disagreeing with you Moose, but think about this... does a Big East Rookie of the Year, who's best attribute by far is his defense; have games like USF where the pg drove right at him time after time?  Or the Georgetown game where Lubick was 4 for 4 I think posting him up?   

He might end up deserving it, but I'm just saying... if defense is his calling card then maybe those things shouldn't be happening. 

I think Jakarr ends up bringing it home.   

You make it seem like a PG driving past a Center is uncommon thing.

« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »
Louisville is the bomb right now.  The way they just turned that UCONN game tonight around on a dime and went from 6-8 down to 17 up was very impressive. 

I like Syracuse a lot but without Southerland not sure they have the firepower to beat Louisville.  The game is at the Dome this Saturday.

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »

Karr, Ryan A, and Omar are the only three Fresh in the Top 40 in BE scoring.  I liked Adams coming into the year but he's been all over the place and inconsistent.  Dunn hasnt lit the world on fire and Harrell is putting up nice numbers but not many MPG.

I'd say my top 5 would be Karr, Ryan A, Obekpa, Omar, Adams.

Thank you as always.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
Louisville was scary good in that second half last night against Uconn.

Omar Calhoun had a nice game for Uconn. Wish we had a youngster that shot like that ( besides Harrison) .

Both teams, when they played well, Uconn in 1st half and Louisville in 2nd, proved PG is the most important position in the college game. Napier, Boatwright, and Siva.  We need a guy like that.  Is it Branch?  I'm not sure...at all

paultzman

« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »
Interesting stat! Let's get another road win Saturday at DePaul.

“@kenpomeroy: In conference play, Big East teams are 11-18 at home. 4 games into season, 14 of 15 teams have a road win.”