Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Poison

Re: around the big east
« Reply #620 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
A horrible uconn team beating cus 65-57 with a minute left.  Love it.  Uconn playing spoiler. I hate both these schools, but uconn isn't going anywhere.  We shouldn't have lost as bad as we did to Cuse. 

Agree on all points---although my dislike of Uconn comes nowhere close to my HATRED for Cuse.

As far as our game, the passing of Coach's dad, Branch being out and Southerland's timely (for them) return, all served to make it a blowout.

We always have great excuses for getting our ass kicked. At least we're consistent somewhere. Uconn had a plan for their game tonight. We had no plan on Sunday.

We have no freaking luck. No excuses here but if we had Branch it would have made a difference. Not saying a win at the Dome but definitely not a 19 point loss.

Every other BE team has a back up point guard. We don't.

You seem to hate the program so much, why do you bother following ?

Honestly I have known you as a poster for years and you have never been happy

I will be happy when we return to the form we were in before Lou retired. Until then, I'm going to be pretty angry, mainly because I see fans ripping on SU, Uconn and Pitt, and directing nothing at our greatest enemy. St.John's.

You have no clue what you are talking about.  Not every team has an equivalent back up to their starting point guard.  Where do you get this information from?  So Louisville has a back up to Siva?  Who?  Their backup to Siva is to move Russ Smith over to point and bring someone off the bench.  There is no one of Siva's ability though to bring off the bench.  You merely have to move the parts around.  But Louisville is significantly weaker if they do that.  So SJU does the same thing moving Harrison or Greene over but they are WEAKER for doing this.

Syracuse won because they ARE BETTER then SJU right now especially at home. 

I think you have a reading comprehension problem. Where did I say that we needed to have a back up point that was as good as Branch? We have no back up.

And no, not every team has an equivalent point guard to their starter. You're responding to yourself there. I am well of that. I'm also aware that Iona, Rutgers, Uconn and Providence have two guys that can play the point. We should as well.

If you don't agree w the importance of the point guard position, I think your understanding of the game is pretty questionable.

You implied it by saying "everyone" has a backup.

No they don't.  Obviously one way or another EVERYONE will make up for injuries because no one forfeits games but that hardly is a "backup."

We don't have a point guard playing the point guard position. We should. That is all. Enjoy your day.

sju89tr

« Reply #621 on: February 14, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
No one has a true bacl up these days at each position. Even Cuse this year has no true backup to MCW. It would be nice if Lavin had filled the "ark" with 2 players at each position but it hasn't happened. Phil Greene is the backup PG who doesn't turn the ball over. He doesn't run the position great but he is the secondary ball handler. 

Poison

« Reply #622 on: February 14, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »
No one has a true bacl up these days at each position. Even Cuse this year has no true backup to MCW. It would be nice if Lavin had filled the "ark" with 2 players at each position but it hasn't happened. Phil Greene is the backup PG who doesn't turn the ball over. He doesn't run the position great but he is the secondary ball handler. 

SU has two great points. Triche and Williams are both great point guards. Two of the best in the country.

sju89tr

« Reply #623 on: February 14, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »

SU has two great points. Triche and Williams are both great point guards. Two of the best in the country.

Triche is not a PG, he is a combo guard. 

Poison

« Reply #624 on: February 14, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »

You have to move the ball to beat a zone. We are going to be zoned to death now.

Poison

« Reply #625 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »

Triche is not a PG, he is a combo guard. 

He has been running the point for 4 years. He plays both positions, but he certainly plays both well. I would love a 4 year guy like that on SJ. Williams didn't play in a game, they'd be fine w Triche. He is better than just about every guard in our conference. Maybe a small handful are better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:41:49 AM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #626 on: February 15, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
8. St. John’s. A difficult week for the Red Storm. Head coach Steve Lavin left the team to say goodbye to his beloved father, Cap, just as St. John’s was set to face Syracuse and Louisville in back-to-back games. Losses aside, the future looks brighter for this young team.

“@eamonnbrennan: Conference Power Rankings: Big East http://es.pn/VlcbZg

« Reply #627 on: February 15, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
Boeheim vs Katz Round 2.

Boeheim explains why he is upset at Katz and why he will not talk to him again.  Both men essentially agree on when/where the incident that has triggered Boeheim's anger occurred but they disagree STRONGLY over the details.

The incident occurred during the NIT Tourney in November of 2011 as the Fine story was ongoing.  Boeheim agreed to do a sit down interview.  He claims he made an agreement with Katz that he would not answer any questions regarding Fine.  Katz claims NO WAY did he agree to that.

Boeheim also that he got mad because Katz repeatedly asked the questions even after he made it clear he would not answer them. Katz agrees he asked several times but felt that was the only way he could get him to address the issue.

Boeheim said that Katz's behavior was so unprofessional that the others in the room (Van Gundy, Breen etc.) walked out in disgust and the producer apologized.  Katz says NO ONE walked out and that the Producer did NOT apologize but rather simply said to the effect, "Coach I am sorry if you disapprove of the questioning but I see nothing wrong with the questions."  In other words the Producer did NOT apologize for Katz's behavior per se but just apologized for the fact that Boeheim was upset.

Katz admitted that Boeheim was very angry after the interview and has refused to talk to Katz since.

Boeheim's take:

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/02/jim_boeheim_explains_what_led.html

Katz's take:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/02/espns_andy_katz_says_he_never.html#incart_river

Poison

« Reply #628 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
Boeheim once handed a bag of cash to a guy Deshaun Williams beat the snot out of. He's got a lot to hide. Katz probably knows that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:11:45 AM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #629 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
 Anyone see the tweet yesterday, by Borzello( sp?) i think., where he predicts all the conference tourney finals?

He had Georgetown vs St. John's in the BE Final..

Poison

« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
Anyone see the tweet yesterday, by Borzello( sp?) i think., where he predicts all the conference tourney finals?

He had Georgetown vs St. John's in the BE Final..

That sounds perfectly reasonable, and not insane at all.

boo3

« Reply #631 on: February 15, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
 No one thinks St. John's is as bad as actual St. John's fans....interesting dynamic.  ::)

« Reply #632 on: February 15, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
No one thinks St. John's is as bad as actual St. John's fans....interesting dynamic.  ::)

I thought my ex-wife sucked.  The guy who she left me for thought she was great...until he married her.  Lol.

Not sure where I was going with that but that's what popped into my head when I read that post.

Poison

« Reply #633 on: February 15, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

Yea, people that haven't watched since Mullin was here think we're still good. I meet people like that all the time. They are also the same people who we would categorize as the casual fan. It's that fan's lack of interest that explains why we don't sell tickets.

boo3

« Reply #634 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
 The superfan is always hyper-critical of their team, while the outside observer usually looks for positives. 

Moose

« Reply #635 on: February 15, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
The superfan is always hyper-critical of their team, while the outside observer usually looks for positives. 

We have super fans?
Ha
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #636 on: February 15, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »

We have super fans?
Ha

Just one.... ;)

« Reply #637 on: February 15, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »
So it's Danny Kannell (why?) and two guys who just "graduated" from the Connecticut School of Broadcasting--Online.

paultzman

« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
GT over Cincy by 7 with 3 minutes left in first half. Cincy has a tough remaining schedule.

boo3

« Reply #639 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
GT over Cincy by 7 with 3 minutes left in first half. Cincy has a tough remaining schedule.

Georgetown is a solid team that I could see making a run deep into March.   Felt this way before only to see them sent packing first weekend.  I think this could be the year they make Final Four.  Wide open tourney with no true dominant team.  It should be awesome.