Around Big East

• 3954 replies

bk8664

Re: around the big east
« Reply #820 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
We will never get home cooking like that. What I meant was, when are we going to exceed expectations? We have the talent...we have Sanchez coming...we have the best blocker...we have the Big East ROY...we have the #3 scorer in the Big East...we have a solid PG when healthy. Why can we never seem to put it all together? I don't see Nova beating anywhere near 3 top 5 teams again for a while, but you know they will be a top 25 team next year. Is it Jay Wright? Is it their talent scouts? Is it just luck? Is it chemistry? Whatever it is that helps them win so consistently, we need it here and fast.

C'mon man, you know the reasons already.  These guys don't execute in the half court offense enough, and they really are poor shooters.  If we did either better, we would have a better record.  If we did both, we'd have a great record.  But we won't don't.  We have to hope for next year. 

Fortunately for us, I think we'll have a very good defense next year.  We'll have tons of fouls to give with our athletic big men, so we really should be able to play aggressively.  We will lead the country again in blocks, without a doubt. Rebounding has improved and should continue to improve.

To me the off-season is only about three things:  half court execution, three point shooting and foul shot shooting.
   We have to hope..  Our future is uncertain.  But we have no idea if we will improve in these three areas.  We could have a cruddy offense again, or maybe not.  We just have to wait to whole off-season to find out.  Unfortunately we'll have to have some patience to see what they can do to improve.

« Reply #821 on: March 07, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »
Nova beat what Cuse, ville, G'town, have 20 wins. Deserve ncaa bid. Mean time we get blown out by Cuse, Ville, 2x by G'town, ND. What is wrong with this picture since 2 months ago we played them to OT on the road? ???

Poison

« Reply #822 on: March 07, 2013, 12:06:30 AM »
Nova beat what Cuse, ville, G'town, have 20 wins. Deserve ncaa bid. Mean time we get blown out by Cuse, Ville, 2x by G'town, ND. What is wrong with this picture since 2 months ago we played them to OT on the road? ???

They get after it on defense. All we do is block shots. We have no other defensive skill.

paultzman

« Reply #823 on: March 07, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
If we play 16 league games next year, I guess we add a few decent games in addition to Syracuse.

“@NJHoopsHaven: Mike Rice: Rutgers-Seton Hall "going to happen" next year. "We just have to figure out the logistics." Full text: http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/hoopshaven/2013/03/07/mike-rice-ru-shu-going-to-happen-next-year/

paultzman

« Reply #824 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: Seton Hall recently gave @KevinWillard a contract extension but didn't announce it, sources told @SNYtv. Was told it's long term.”

« Reply #825 on: March 08, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Seton Hall recently gave @KevinWillard a contract extension but didn't announce it, sources told @SNYtv. Was told it's long term.”

Following Norms 'rollover' model perhaps.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #826 on: March 09, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
Humorous;

“@PSBasketball: The Georgetown students are really giving it to James Southerland and MCW. Lord & Taylor chants plus offers to write James' term paper.”

paultzman

« Reply #827 on: March 09, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »
UConn battling PC without Giffey, Calhoun, Olander and the suspended big guy. Give Ollie credit for hanging tough this year. His attitude is to play the guys he has left and go at it. No BS excuses like losing players, having to play freshmen and sophomores, etc. Refreshing!

paultzman

« Reply #828 on: March 09, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
A beat-up team with nothing to play for often thrives. That's what we're seeing so far this afternoon as a thin UConn team is beating Providence, 32-26. The Huskies are sending little-used players into the action around vets Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and DeAndre Daniels and that's been enough to jump out to leads of as many as 10 points.
The PC defense (41% Husky shooting) hasn't been good enough. The offense is plagued by nine turnovers and not enough shots for Kadeem Batts. Bryce Cotton leads the Friars with seven points. Batts has six on 2-of-4 shooting.
PC badly needs the win to finish 10-8 in the Big East and keep its momentum heading into the Big East Tournament in New York next week. With a win, PC would finish the regular season winning 8 of 9 Big East games for the first time in program history.

“@KevinMcNamara33: UConn up on PC at half, 32-26 http://news.providencejournal.com/sports/college/2013/03/pc-set-to-take-on-beat-up-uconn.html#.UTt3kaz9z7k.twitter

tnice

« Reply #829 on: March 09, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Humorous;

“@PSBasketball: The Georgetown students are really giving it to James Southerland and MCW. Lord & Taylor chants plus offers to write James' term paper.”

We should lock our players and coaches in a room for three days and force them to watch the way Georgetown attacks the Syracuse zone on a video loop. Say what you want about the old man (I'll say he was a racist SOB), but JT3 is a great coach.

paultzman

« Reply #830 on: March 09, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
Humorous;

We should lock our players and coaches in a room for three days and force them to watch the way Georgetown attacks the Syracuse zone on a video loop. Say what you want about the old man (I'll say he was a racist SOB), but JT3 is a great coach.

GT puts good passer at high post to pass down low to other power players. We waste CO on high post, why not put Sampson there for short jumper or dump to Chris? Frustrating.

« Reply #831 on: March 09, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
Lets not get carried away.  They were lucky to score 25 points in a half.  15 of those from the 3 point line. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

paultzman

« Reply #832 on: March 09, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »
Lets not get carried away.  They were lucky to score 25 points in a half.  15 of those from the 3 point line. 

Get ball inside with two options, dump down low or kick out for a three, not rocket science.

paultzman

« Reply #833 on: March 09, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
Cuse trending way down. Not one of JB's best coaching job. Was MCW overrated? A future pro for sure, but not the super impact player a lot of folks said he would be this year.

« Reply #834 on: March 09, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »

Get ball inside with two options, dump down low or kick out for a three, not rocket science.

What if you don't have anyone that can make a three?  My points being Georgetown can shoot the three and we cant. You can't execute a zone offense if you cant shoot.  And 25 points is not exactly lighting it up.

« Reply #835 on: March 09, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
Cuse trending way down. Not one of JB's best coaching job. Was MCW overrated? A future pro for sure, but not the super impact player a lot of folks said he would be this year.

I thought MCW could shoot...apparently not.  Triche has been horrible too.

paultzman

« Reply #836 on: March 09, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »

What if you don't have anyone that can make a three?  My points being Georgetown can shoot the three and we cant. You can't execute a zone offense if you cant shoot.  And 25 points is not exactly lighting it up.

My initial comment had to do with normal inside out way of attacking zones and SJU using bigs differently. I was not suggesting that our abysmal outside shooting would still not be a problem. I fully realize the fact that for too long we have not recruited or developed zone busting shooters. Slashers, yes, but to our detriment.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:55:01 PM by Moose »

« Reply #837 on: March 09, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
Cuse has scored 35 pts with 2 minutes to go.  We didn't have a chance against the G'town D.

Moose

« Reply #838 on: March 09, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »

Yet they still smoked us
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #839 on: March 09, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
Couldn't hit 40.  I enjoyed watching that.  God, I hate Cuse!