Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1060 on: May 16, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »
This makes e sense. ACC can't just waltz in when they want. Agree we need a commissioner sooner than later though.

" MSG is unlikely going to go with a conference that would only make a cameo in the building every so often. The ACC is not going to move the conference tournament out of North Carolina (Greensboro or Charlotte) for more than one year every three or four years. If MSG wanted to maximize the opportunity it has in front of it then it should get the Big East to move its tournament to early in championship week and take the ACC the latter part of the week. If not, then the ACC has to see if it can wedge its way into the Barclays Center in Brooklyn around the A-10, or push the A-10 to play earlier in the week. Meanwhile, as expected, C-USA voted Wednesday at its league meetings to have all 16 teams go to the 2014 C-USA tournament in El Paso."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:53:41 AM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #1061 on: May 16, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
This makes e sense. ACC can't just waltz in when they want. Agree we need a commissioner sooner than later though.

" MSG is unlikely going to go with a conference that would only make a cameo in the building every so often. The ACC is not going to move the conference tournament out of North Carolina (Greensboro or Charlotte) for more than one year every three or four years. If MSG wanted to maximize the opportunity it has in front of it then it should get the Big East to move its tournament to early in championship week and take the ACC the latter part of the week. If not, then the ACC has to see if it can wedge its way into the Barclays Center in Brooklyn around the A-10, or push the A-10 to play earlier in the week. Meanwhile, as expected, C-USA voted Wednesday at its league meetings to have all 16 teams go to the 2014 C-USA tournament in El Paso."

I doubt we will move over to try to accommodate the ACC in any way when it comes to MSG.  Certainly need a commish soon though.  Need to have unifying force to our conference to spearhead all of our efforts.  It needs to be somebody Who is a shark and willing to take on guys like Swofford and the repugnant ACC.

Poison

« Reply #1062 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
It's programs like ours that would make an ACC MSG tournament possible. With the exception of STJ, SH and Depaul every other BE team has towed the line in March.

It's time for us to man up and contribute something. Or we don't have a right to claim we belong at MSG.

« Reply #1063 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
bunk

« Reply #1064 on: May 17, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »

paultzman

« Reply #1065 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
“@MarquetteMBB: #mubb's Chris Otule (@Tule42) officially granted sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA for 2013-14 campaign.”

paultzman

« Reply #1066 on: May 22, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
“@VUhoops: Butler to spend $34m on Hinkle Fieldhouse. What should Villanova do with The Pavilion? http://sbn.to/10L1Stl

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #1068 on: May 29, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »
How is it possible that they haven't hired a commissioner yet?   
As a basketball fan, it bothers me.   But if I played or coach in any of soccer or any of the other fall sports, I'd be pretty pissed that the presidents are dragging their feet on this.

The presidents need to hire someone they entrust to make decisions that frankly they don't know enough about (media rights, licensing agreements, all this IP nonsense; plus the logistical decisions of scheduling, rules, and officiating).   
But it sounds like they're looking for someone who doesn't have a big enough personality, and won't be given the authority, to make any meaningful decisions unilaterally.   
I think that's a mistake.   Oversight is fine, but they have to recognize they aren't experts in this field.   Find someone who is, and take his advice.   
I hope they listen to Tagliabue, he may be a Hoya, but he obviously knows the sports business industry as well as anyone. 

paultzman

« Reply #1069 on: May 29, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
How is it possible that they haven't hired a commissioner yet?   
As a basketball fan, it bothers me.   But if I played or coach in any of soccer or any of the other fall sports, I'd be pretty pissed that the presidents are dragging their feet on this.

The presidents need to hire someone they entrust to make decisions that frankly they don't know enough about (media rights, licensing agreements, all this IP nonsense; plus the logistical decisions of scheduling, rules, and officiating).   
But it sounds like they're looking for someone who doesn't have a big enough personality, and won't be given the authority, to make any meaningful decisions unilaterally.   
I think that's a mistake.   Oversight is fine, but they have to recognize they aren't experts in this field.   Find someone who is, and take his advice.   
I hope they listen to Tagliabue, he may be a Hoya, but he obviously knows the sports business industry as well as anyone. 

Agree it is time to move on this. Saw Stu Jackson's name out there today. Not sure he is answer either.

« Reply #1070 on: May 29, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

Agree it is time to move on this. Saw Stu Jackson's name out there today. Not sure he is answer either.

I seen what Stu did wit the Knicks.
No.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #1071 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »
The Hoyas recruit methodically and well, especially big folks;

“@CasualHoya: Whispers on the Recruiting Circuit: Could This Be The Next Great Hoya Frontcourt? http://sbn.to/12TiHVy

paultzman

« Reply #1072 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Follow the BIG EAST's new Twitter accounts: @bigeastconf @BIGEASTChamps
@BIGEASTMBB @BIGEASTWBB #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #1073 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
“@CasualHoya: Hoyas Recruiting Update: New Coaching Staff = New Targets? (HT @Hoyas247) http://sbn.to/116NhNR

desco80

« Reply #1074 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Can they hire a freakin commissioner already?

These school presidents and ADs knew in January that they were going to start a new league after the season, they must have had a "short list" prepared months ago, so what's the hold up?   Interview 3 or 4, and pick the guy you like.    I really don't understand what they're doing here by waiting.     

This new league still needs a league office, staff, etc etc    Get a commish on board so he can get to work.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:55:48 AM by desco80 »

crgreen

« Reply #1075 on: June 11, 2013, 03:10:03 PM »
Can they hire a freakin commissioner already?

These school presidents and ADs knew in January that they were going to start a new league after the season, they must have had a "short list" prepared months ago, so what's the hold up?   Interview 3 or 4, and pick the guy you like.    I really don't understand what they're doing here by waiting.     

This new league still needs a league office, staff, etc etc    Get a commish on board so he can get to work.

Has anyone heard if Georgetown's Josh Smith will have 1 or 2 years eligibility after transferring from UCLA?  He played only 4 games before quitting the Bruins last year (his Jr. Season) - I know they changed the rules and that should now be enuf to have taken his 3rd year of eligibilty, but there was talk of filing for a MEDICAL redshirt - that he didn't play the year and transferred due to a medical condition - an eating disorder, morbid obesity - and could be granted an additional year of eligibility at Georgetown.

paultzman

« Reply #1076 on: June 17, 2013, 05:57:38 PM »
Interesting to see Marquette's big man recruiting targets in 14 & 15. They face same challenge as St.J.;

“@PaintTouches: [NEW TO PT] #mubb is recruiting the center position hard, knowing it's a void they must fill next season and beyond: http://bit.ly/18T5XFT

paultzman

« Reply #1077 on: June 18, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
"2. Providence College coach Ed Cooley said he called as many schools as possible and could not schedule a home-and-home game out of the region. Providence has consistently had issues trying to get games, regardless of who their head coach is. There have been a few series with schools like Alabama and Texas, due to the connection of former coach Rick Barnes. PC also had one with Wichita State. That's why Cooley had to think out of the box with the new 18-game, round-robin Big East schedule. The Friars play Boston College at home, go to UMass (because Cooley said he was convinced the Minutemen would be a high RPI game), play Kentucky at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and have the annual series with Rhode Island (this time in Kingston). They will also play in the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, against Vanderbilt and with La Salle as a possibility in the second round (Explorers play Morgan State). Maryland is on the other side of the bracket (with Northern Iowa as another player on that side). The Friars reached the NIT quarterfinals before losing to Baylor. Kris Dunn and Bryce Cotton give the Friars a shot to get back to the postseason and Cooley did a solid job of building a legitimate schedule to make the Friars potentially matter in March."

“@eamonnbrennan: 3-point shot: Memphis' veteran coaches http://es.pn/11v43CQ

paultzman

« Reply #1078 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
Whoa!

“@CasualHoya: Greg Whittington Could Miss Entire Season With Knee Injury: http://sbn.to/1bPKkm9

"HOWEVER, if it is indeed a torn ACL then Whittington is done for the season. This injury, coupled with a looming NCAA ruling that will likely limit Josh Smith's eligibility in blue and gray to either the second semester of the upcoming season OR the full season of the next, could send what is already a fanbase known for its cynicism to levels not seen since Nikita Mesheriakov hit the side of the backboard off of a designed play in the 1st round of a 2009 Big East Tournament against St. John's and sending the Hoyas into the NIT.

Brace yourselves, Hoyas fans."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:50:40 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1079 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »
“@DraftExpress: Ryan Arcidiacono, Damyean Dotson, James Robinson and Marcus Georges-Hunt the last four cut from @usabasketball's U19 World Championship team”