Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1140 on: July 03, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
I hear Mike Dunlap is available ...

« Reply #1141 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
I hear Mike Dunlap is available ...

He's not willing to recruit so I doubt he will go back to college in a head coaching role.

desco80

« Reply #1142 on: July 03, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
In recent years has Stevens been the primary recruiter for the program? Or do they have an ace assistant that does their recruiting?

Moose

« Reply #1143 on: July 03, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
it's time for Butler to step up now with a high profile hire.

not the Butler way
it better be if they think they're big time.

No offense but questioning their hiring principles might be a bit much. They do have 3 solid hires in a row. Multiple 25 win seasons and oh I don't know. 2 final fours?

I agree, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.  But, to be fair the Lichleter hire doesn't look as spectacular as it did when he first moved up to the Big 10.   He was below .500 all 3 seasons at Iowa.

But Matta and Stevens were home runs, no doubt.   

But he was a Home Run at Butler that's the point.  As for where they choose to go after that's a different ballgame.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1144 on: July 03, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
“@ESPNAndyKatz: http://ESPN.com has learned that Butler will act extremely fast to fill Stevens' spot. Assistants are in play to replace him.”

Moose

« Reply #1145 on: July 03, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »
“@ESPNAndyKatz: http://ESPN.com has learned that Butler will act extremely fast to fill Stevens' spot. Assistants are in play to replace him.”

I'd hate to see a domino effect if they pluck another HC from a college this late in the game.

paultzman

« Reply #1146 on: July 03, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
Larry Brown interested.

Moose

« Reply #1147 on: July 03, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
Larry Brown interested.

Hahaha
When will that s-bag just go away.

Poison

« Reply #1148 on: July 03, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Why should Butler change their system if it's working?

SJUFAN

Brad Stevens Leaves Butler
« Reply #1149 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:48:59 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #1150 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »

Because working in the Horizon or the A-10 is one thing but it ain't what we envision for the BE.

We all hope the new Big East becomes one of the power conferences.

Re: Brad Stevens Leaves Butler
« Reply #1151 on: July 03, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »
Not good. Very difficult to replace.

« Reply #1152 on: July 03, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
Larry Brown interested.
better than isaiah thomas.

MCNPA

« Reply #1153 on: July 04, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
Tough loss, but Butler will be fine.  They were good before Stevens, even if not THIS good, and have nice infrastructure of success being built there in Indiana.  They'll need to hire the right guy and maybe that is one if the assistants, but it will come down to them recruiting at a higher level anyway.

Poison

« Reply #1154 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »

Because working in the Horizon or the A-10 is one thing but it ain't what we envision for the BE.

I don't think we can say for certain that a big name is the answer for them. What Stevens built, he built in part because he wasn't a name. He was a really young guy with an eye for talent, and a terrific system.

For Butler, that recipe has worked over the years. Under Stevens, it work famously, but it's not like his assistants are completely unaware of how it's done. Larry Brown, I see someone mentioned above would probably be a disaster. He should be retired now.

I think Butler should be searching for the next Brad Stevens. Changing the recipe now when it's worked so well would be a disaster IMO.

We'll see soon enough.

« Reply #1155 on: July 04, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »

I don't think we can say for certain that a big name is the answer for them. What Stevens built, he built in part because he wasn't a name. He was a really young guy with an eye for talent, and a terrific system.

For Butler, that recipe has worked over the years. Under Stevens, it work famously, but it's not like his assistants are completely unaware of how it's done. Larry Brown, I see someone mentioned above would probably be a disaster. He should be retired now.

I think Butler should be searching for the next Brad Stevens. Changing the recipe now when it's worked so well would be a disaster IMO.

We'll see soon enough.

Again it has worked in the context of hiring in the Horizon League when you are competing against Valpo and Detroit-Mercy.

But again let's say Butler left a year ago for the Big 10.  And Stevens who had turned down all those BCS jobs leaves for UCLA this year.

Now Butler has to hire a coach.  Do they go the same route and hire within?  Maybe and maybe they are successful.  But now they are competing against schools who when they hire coaches they are going to go get ESTABLISHED coaches with records in MOST cases.

In other words when Indiana was looking to hire a replacement for Sampson they went and hired Tom Crean from BCS school Marquette.  When Illinois hired a coach after firing Bruce Weber they hired John Groce from Ohio who had just gone to the Sweet 16.  When Ohio St fired Jim O'Brien they hired successful Xavier HC Thad Matta.

When ACC schools like Maryland and Virginia and NC St made hires they hired head coaches who had a record of success like Tony Bennett, Mark Gottfried and Mark Turgeon.

I use those conferences because they are BCS conferences that the new Big East hopes to compete with.

Again Butler has had a nice blueprint and it has worked.  All I am saying is it has worked in the context of the Horizon League they have never had to hire a coach in the context of competing in a BCS conference.

paultzman

« Reply #1156 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »

We'll see soon enough.

I posted Larry Brown as a joke. Know Moose got it.

paultzman

« Reply #1157 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
“@FriarFrenzy: Domestic assault/vandalism charges against LaDontae Henton dropped per ProJo, @KevinMcNamara33.  #pcbb”

paultzman

« Reply #1158 on: July 04, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
M'Q recruits methodically and well;

"“I really like Marquette,” Cohen said during a break at the Kevin Durant Skills Academy. ”Right now Marquette’s probably my favorite. I just like the hometown, I really like Coach Buzz Williams, I just really like Marquette as a whole, as a college and everything.”

Cohen has a long way to go in his recruitment process and a longer way to go in his development as a player, but his skill set would fit in nicely with what Marquette, who is one of the program’s to have offered Cohen, likes to do. At 6-foot-5, Cohen is one of the more versatile wings in the country, capable enough of running the point that he’s said it’s the position that he would prefer to play in college. That wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing, either, as Cohen’s a willing passer and a competent creator. Williams seems to thrive on those guys.

He’s also a lanky, athletic defender that can make plays on that end of the floor, and if there is anything that we know about Buzz Williams, it’s that he requires his team to play hard on that end of the floor."

“@CBTonNBC: Top 100 recruit Sandy Cohen has 13 offers, but one program is standing out http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Xzy

Poison

« Reply #1159 on: July 04, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »

We'll see soon enough.

Again it has worked in the context of hiring in the Horizon League when you are competing against Valpo and Detroit-Mercy.

But again let's say Butler left a year ago for the Big 10.  And Stevens who had turned down all those BCS jobs leaves for UCLA this year.

Now Butler has to hire a coach.  Do they go the same route and hire within?  Maybe and maybe they are successful.  But now they are competing against schools who when they hire coaches they are going to go get ESTABLISHED coaches with records in MOST cases.

In other words when Indiana was looking to hire a replacement for Sampson they went and hired Tom Crean from BCS school Marquette.  When Illinois hired a coach after firing Bruce Weber they hired John Groce from Ohio who had just gone to the Sweet 16.  When Ohio St fired Jim O'Brien they hired successful Xavier HC Thad Matta.

When ACC schools like Maryland and Virginia and NC St made hires they hired head coaches who had a record of success like Tony Bennett, Mark Gottfried and Mark Turgeon.

I use those conferences because they are BCS conferences that the new Big East hopes to compete with.

Again Butler has had a nice blueprint and it has worked.  All I am saying is it has worked in the context of the Horizon League they have never had to hire a coach in the context of competing in a BCS conference.

If we look at Butler, and what Stevens has accomplished there, I think it's on par with what we've seen from Jim Calhoun and Coach K. While they haven't been a contender every season, the two consecutive years they went to the finals, they beat the snot out of several BCS programs.

Obviously, hiring a proven name is less of a risk, but I think Butler is different. With Stevens' success, they've entered a category that includes only them. If their success was mainly due to a weaker Horizon League schedule, their weaknesses would have been clear come March.

But instead, they proved that not only were they ready for the big time, but that they were as good anyone. Once, like a GMU, or a VCU, a case can be made that its a fluke. Twice, there is no dispute.

As far as Maryland, Virginia and NC State go I would put them in a category similar to us. They are trying to become a nationally recognized program again. Right now, it clear that Virginia is a bottom feeder.

They may get there eventually, but right now, despite their big name hires, they are not examples of success. Virginia was a hair better than us last year. Butler could have beaten both teams at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:38:44 AM by Poison »