Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1180 on: July 15, 2013, 11:22:09 PM »
Big get;

“@EvanDanielsFOX: Jalen Lindsey just committed to Providence, per his coach.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/117566/jalen-lindsey
providence fans can annoy me even though some are my clients but I want them to do well and am happy to hear any of our conference teams getting big recruits right now

Agree. Cooley deserves credit for getting on kids early and sticking with them. He may offer half the globe, but he does work hard and is making a big difference at Providence.

Moose

« Reply #1181 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:08 PM »
Big get;

“@EvanDanielsFOX: Jalen Lindsey just committed to Providence, per his coach.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/117566/jalen-lindsey
providence fans can annoy me even though some are my clients but I want them to do well and am happy to hear any of our conference teams getting big recruits right now

Agree. Cooley deserves credit for getting on kids early and sticking with them. He may offer half the globe, but he does work hard and is making a big difference at Providence.

He bothers me
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #1182 on: July 16, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »
Lindsey is a big time pickup for them.  Cooley is a good recruiter, hard worker and was a great hire for that program.  Good for the Big East that Providence seeing a resurgence.  Lindsey chose the friars over a lot of good programs.

paultzman

« Reply #1183 on: July 16, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
Lindsey is a big time pickup for them.  Cooley is a good recruiter, hard worker and was a great hire for that program.  Good for the Big East that Providence seeing a resurgence.  Lindsey chose the friars over a lot of good programs.

“@FriarFrenzy: Jalen Lindsey's father on Ed Cooley & staff,  "There's no other team that put in half the work that they've put in" per ESPN #pcbb”

Cooley landing Abu and/or Terrell would not surprise me.

Foad

« Reply #1184 on: July 16, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
Cooley landing Abu and/or Terrell would not surprise me.

Maybe one. Both would put them over the salary cap.

paultzman

« Reply #1185 on: July 16, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
GT participating;
“@eamonnbrennan: Bracket reveal: Puerto Rico Tip-Off http://es.pn/1bkrDLm

paultzman

« Reply #1186 on: July 16, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
“@insidethehall: Just checked in with Phil Booth. Confirmed IU in his final five along with Georgetown, Temple, Villanova and Virginia. #iubb”

4 Star PG.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:46:18 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #1187 on: July 16, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
big ed cooley is the salt of the earth..works hard recruiting and coaching and kids connect to his hard backround.  he is helping to elevate the new big east.  hopefully we land terrell and abu from him.

Moose

« Reply #1188 on: July 16, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
big ed cooley is the salt of the earth..works hard recruiting and coaching and kids connect to his hard backround.  he is helping to elevate the new big east.  hopefully we land terrell and abu from him.

we?

paultzman

« Reply #1189 on: July 16, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Fair article IMO;
“@jeffborzello: Jalen Lindsey's commitment shows Ed Cooley is keeping his recruiting promise at Providence. Column: http://cbsprt.co/11TNVR5

« Reply #1190 on: July 16, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

we?
Guess you still haven't seen Ed and Cheese at the same time.  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:18:28 PM by Celtics11 »

paultzman

« Reply #1191 on: July 17, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »
M'Q & Creighton is same tourney;
“@eamonnbrennan: Bracket reveal: Wooden Legacy http://es.pn/12wqSH1

« Reply #1192 on: July 17, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
M'Q & Creighton is same tourney;
“@eamonnbrennan: Bracket reveal: Wooden Legacy http://es.pn/12wqSH1

I'm sure these schools committed before conference realignment.  That's why the schools were put on opposite sides of the bracket, though with that field, they should meet in the finals anyway.  Happened with Oklahoma and West Virginia last year, too (they met in the third place game of the Old Spice).

paultzman

« Reply #1193 on: July 18, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
A shadow of former self, Lol
“@JonRothstein: Georgetown big man Josh Smith is down to 358 pounds. Was 385. Going to be interesting to see how he meshes with Hoyas in 13-14.”

LJSA

« Reply #1194 on: July 18, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
A shadow of former self, Lol
“@JonRothstein: Georgetown big man Josh Smith is down to 358 pounds. Was 385. Going to be interesting to see how he meshes with Hoyas in 13-14.”

88 more pounds and he'll have an NBA career and live past 45.

« Reply #1195 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
Not with all the crabcakes he'll eat.

Moose

« Reply #1196 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
VCU AD Ed McLaughlin on Wednesday released a five-year strategic plan that he "hopes will make the Rams a major player in Division I in all sports but football," according to Tim Pearrell of the RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH. McLaughlin believes that the plan will "help the Rams continue to build on the momentum and become 'an elite-level' program." The plan "includes eight themes: strengthening VCU’s Division I position; enriching the student-athlete experience; expecting academic success; providing championship quality facilities; growing athletics revenues; sustaining fiscal responsibility; embracing equity and diversity; and constructing an optimal Division I infrastructure." However, "adding football is not part of the plan." New facilities, upgrades and money "will be required." McLaughlin's "first priority remains getting a privately funded basketball practice facility built." He said that the school "has some gifts that need to be finalized" and hopes to have the $14-16M needed for the facility "by the end of the summer." Other priorities "include possible expansion" of the basketball program's Siegel Center. McLaughlin said that expansion "depends on what a study says can be done 'without losing the environment.'" He added that the athletics department had a "small surplus this year and he expects the budget to be balanced in the future." VCU had a $981,848 deficit in '11-12 (RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH, 7/18).

MCNPA

« Reply #1197 on: July 20, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
VCU AD Ed McLaughlin on Wednesday released a five-year strategic plan that he "hopes will make the Rams a major player in Division I in all sports but football," according to Tim Pearrell of the RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH. McLaughlin believes that the plan will "help the Rams continue to build on the momentum and become 'an elite-level' program." The plan "includes eight themes: strengthening VCU’s Division I position; enriching the student-athlete experience; expecting academic success; providing championship quality facilities; growing athletics revenues; sustaining fiscal responsibility; embracing equity and diversity; and constructing an optimal Division I infrastructure." However, "adding football is not part of the plan." New facilities, upgrades and money "will be required." McLaughlin's "first priority remains getting a privately funded basketball practice facility built." He said that the school "has some gifts that need to be finalized" and hopes to have the $14-16M needed for the facility "by the end of the summer." Other priorities "include possible expansion" of the basketball program's Siegel Center. McLaughlin said that expansion "depends on what a study says can be done 'without losing the environment.'" He added that the athletics department had a "small surplus this year and he expects the budget to be balanced in the future." VCU had a $981,848 deficit in '11-12 (RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH, 7/18).

Aka.  "We want to be part of the Big East".  Hopefully when we decide to add more teams, we will select the proper ones.  Nice to see VCU pushing all sports and purposely declaring there won't be football.  They should certainly be considered come expansion time which I'm sure will come sooner or later.  One more "eastern" school to add and it will likely be Richmond or VCU.

Poison

« Reply #1198 on: July 20, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
I think it's terrible that we considered programs like Seton Hall and Depaul to be reputable D1 programs when deciding who would make up this conference.

The point isn't that VCU is better than Depaul. The point is that Depaul should be asked to earn their place in our conference. We were held accountable for the crimes that Harrington committed. Depaul is a disgrace, and their name recognition needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

History is fine, but everything dies, and if this conference is to have any chance of success, they need to man up, and judge each member by what they offer. And if it's nothing, the MAAC is waiting. Seton Hall would be perfect.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:54:55 PM by Poison »

Moose

« Reply #1199 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »
I think it's terrible that we considered programs like Seton Hall and Depaul to be reputable D1 programs when deciding who would make up this conference.

The point isn't that VCU is better than Depaul. The point is that Depaul should be asked to earn their place in our conference. We were held accountable for the crimes that Harrington committed. Depaul is a disgrace, and their name recognition needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

History is fine, but everything dies, and if this conference is to have any chance of success, they need to man up, and judge each member by what they offer. And if it's nothing, the MAAC is waiting. Seton Hall would be perfect.

Who do you hate more?
DePaul, Hall or Fordham? :)