Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1240 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
M'Q blog's take on season;

D’Angelo Harrison, G, St. John’s — The controversial sophomore was suspended the last six games of the season last year, but he’ll return with a clean slate as an upperclassman needing to prove his worth. The numbers have always been there — he averaged 17.8 points per game — now it’s time for it to produce wins for Steve Lavin’s group. If he keeps his head on straight, admittedly a big “if,” he’ll earn First Team honors.

Second Team:

Jakarr Sampson, F, St. John’s — Last year’s Big East Rookie of the Year performed admirably and will need to be Harrison’s No. 2 for a St. John’s team that, shocker, will again be one of the youngest in the country. He’s more athlete than basketball player and another offseason of work and understanding of the game will do him good. He averaged 14.9 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last year. His sophomore numbers should look even better.

Third Team;

Rysheed Jordan, G, St. John’s — One freshman had to make all-conference honors, so why not Jordan? The 6-foot-3 point guard chose the Johnnies over UCLA and enters the fold as the 17th best prospect in the 2013 class, the highest-ranked newcomer in the conference. He’s a powerful scorer who runs the break well but must show he can run a team. Given the minutes he’ll likely need to play, he should do just that.

Honorable mention candidates

Ryan Arcidiacono, G, Villanova
Khyle Marshall, F, Butler
Kellen Dunham, F, Butler
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, G, Georgetown
Eugene Teague, C, Seton Hall
Chris Obekpa, C, St. John’s
Jajuan Johnson, G, Marquette
Eli Carter, G, Rutgers
Nate Lubick, F, Georgetown

Eli Carter??? Maybe at UF. Ha

“@nybuckets: .@PaintTouches Did his own take on the Way Too Early Big East teams. Definitely different: http://painttouches.com/2013/07/24/all-big-east-team-predictions-july-edition/

Do you find it odd that Orlando Sanchez isn't on a pre season team or even honorable mention?

not really.  no one has seen him play.

« Reply #1241 on: July 30, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
M'Q blog's take on season;

D’Angelo Harrison, G, St. John’s — The controversial sophomore was suspended the last six games of the season last year, but he’ll return with a clean slate as an upperclassman needing to prove his worth. The numbers have always been there — he averaged 17.8 points per game — now it’s time for it to produce wins for Steve Lavin’s group. If he keeps his head on straight, admittedly a big “if,” he’ll earn First Team honors.

Second Team:

Jakarr Sampson, F, St. John’s — Last year’s Big East Rookie of the Year performed admirably and will need to be Harrison’s No. 2 for a St. John’s team that, shocker, will again be one of the youngest in the country. He’s more athlete than basketball player and another offseason of work and understanding of the game will do him good. He averaged 14.9 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last year. His sophomore numbers should look even better.

Third Team;

Rysheed Jordan, G, St. John’s — One freshman had to make all-conference honors, so why not Jordan? The 6-foot-3 point guard chose the Johnnies over UCLA and enters the fold as the 17th best prospect in the 2013 class, the highest-ranked newcomer in the conference. He’s a powerful scorer who runs the break well but must show he can run a team. Given the minutes he’ll likely need to play, he should do just that.

Honorable mention candidates

Ryan Arcidiacono, G, Villanova
Khyle Marshall, F, Butler
Kellen Dunham, F, Butler
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, G, Georgetown
Eugene Teague, C, Seton Hall
Chris Obekpa, C, St. John’s
Jajuan Johnson, G, Marquette
Eli Carter, G, Rutgers
Nate Lubick, F, Georgetown

Eli Carter??? Maybe at UF. Ha

“@nybuckets: .@PaintTouches Did his own take on the Way Too Early Big East teams. Definitely different: http://painttouches.com/2013/07/24/all-big-east-team-predictions-july-edition/

Do you find it odd that Orlando Sanchez isn't on a pre season team or even honorable mention?

not really.  no one has seen him play.
  Not familiar with all these guys but I think Dom Pointer can hold his own with almost anyone.  I expect this to be a very big year for him as a swing 6th man.  If he keeps playing defense he will be a pro somewhere.  His versatility is his top quality and guys like that are attractive.  I hope Steve gets him ample minutes, especially at crunch time when he excels.

paultzman

« Reply #1242 on: July 30, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
Nice get for Nova;
“@BigShotsSkills: BIG SHOTS alum Phil Booth 2014 6'3 G Mount St Joseph (MD) (Team Takeover) has committed to Villanova.”

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/126311/phil-booth
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:26:37 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1243 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
Anyone going to support Hoyas? Crazy

“@ESPNAndyKatz: Hoyas, Ducks to open hoops season in Asia on Army base in South Korea: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9522216/hoyas-ducks-tip-hoops-season-asia

Moose

« Reply #1244 on: July 30, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Is this Army Base thing going overboard?  Just seems the novelty is worn off with so many games.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1245 on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »
there's turnover at the bases.  my guess is many have never seen a college game before.

« Reply #1246 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »
Anyone going to support Hoyas? Crazy

“@ESPNAndyKatz: Hoyas, Ducks to open hoops season in Asia on Army base in South Korea: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9522216/hoyas-ducks-tip-hoops-season-asia

As long as they don't go back to China! 

« Reply #1247 on: July 30, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
there's turnover at the bases.  my guess is many have never seen a college game before.

I don't think Moose meant as a nice thing for a few thousand troops, I think he meant as a scheduling and travel fiasco.  Like the games on the aircraft carriers that were disasters last year the novelty effect has worn off and as a statement of patriotism it's really unnecessary.

paultzman

« Reply #1248 on: July 31, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »
“@QSTJHoops: Big East Summer Q&A: Is Marquette geared to defend its Big East crown? #stjbb #sjubb #mubb http://sbn.to/13Zejax

« Reply #1249 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

I don't think Moose meant as a nice thing for a few thousand troops, I think he meant as a scheduling and travel fiasco.  Like the games on the aircraft carriers that were disasters last year the novelty effect has worn off and as a statement of patriotism it's really unnecessary.
maybe moose is concerned about travel fiascos.  i don't know.  i think international trips are a great way to bring a team together, not to mention a great recruiting tool.  i love that we're going to europe in a few weeks.  i'll let the administration worry about travel fiascos and costs.

Moose

« Reply #1250 on: July 31, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »

maybe moose is concerned about travel fiascos.  i don't know.  i think international trips are a great way to bring a team together, not to mention a great recruiting tool.  i love that we're going to europe in a few weeks.  i'll let the administration worry about travel fiascos and costs.

We're talking two different things here Newsie.

I have no problem with an European excursion for the team or any school for that matter to play Euro teams and get quality practice and bonding time.

However these military games were great when its started.  Two teams on a boat surrounded by troops scenic San Diego is great.  Then they started adding like 3-4 more and most of them were utter disasters with slippery floors and bad weather.  Reminds me of NHL this year.  1 Winter Classic is great.  Fine Canada wants a Heritage game for them ok.  Now all of a sudden your adding 4 more games in a Stadium Series.  Overkill.  The joke is the Stadium Series is sponsored by Coors Light so its the Watered Down Stadium Series.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1251 on: July 31, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

paultzman

« Reply #1252 on: July 31, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
“@tsnmike: Meniscus surgery for Marquette's Todd Mayo. No timetable for recovery given.”

Although he is expected to be back in time for the season, a timetable for his return was not given. He joins Steve Taylor Jr. in the rehab department as the rising sophomore went under the knife in early May. Taylor has had a few setbacks in his recovery, though inquiries into his status and a request for an interview have gone unanswered.

Mayo is slated to play a prominent role this season with the departure of Vander Blue and the inexperience of Jajuan Johnson, Deonte Burton and Duane Wilson. Depending on when he can get back on the court this could be a setback even if he does return in time for the first game.

Mayo was suspended for the first 10 games of the season last year after being ruled academically ineligible and struggled to  adapt after being away from the team for four months.

““I need to figure out what’s my comfort level with Buzz,” Mayo told Paint Touches in January. “I feel like if I do something wrong, maybe I’m coming out. I just don’t have the comfort.”

He was reinstated on Dec. 20 but only  averaged 5.3 points, down from the 7.9 he averaged as a freshman, while shooting just 35.6 percent from the field in 23 games.

We will see how long he is out this time and what the adjustment process is like again.

“@PaintTouches: [New to PT] Mayo goes under the knife for knee surgery. #mubb http://painttouches.com/2013/07/31/todd-mayo-undergoes-knee-surgery/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:28:34 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #1253 on: July 31, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »

[/quote]

We're talking two different things here Newsie.

I have no problem with an European excursion for the team or any school for that matter to play Euro teams and get quality practice and bonding time.

However these military games were great when its started.  Two teams on a boat surrounded by troops scenic San Diego is great.  Then they started adding like 3-4 more and most of them were utter disasters with slippery floors and bad weather.  Reminds me of NHL this year.  1 Winter Classic is great.  Fine Canada wants a Heritage game for them ok.  Now all of a sudden your adding 4 more games in a Stadium Series.  Overkill.  The joke is the Stadium Series is sponsored by Coors Light so its the Watered Down Stadium Series.

Agreed and now they're not just doing it in NY, FLA and San Diego, they're taking it to Asia.  Unnecessary.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:59:50 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #1254 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
those are kind of different things. The boat things are a thing of the past because of the weather thing. I see nothing wrong with these games at army bases outside of the US as a treat to our troops abroad. Plus it's great for a teams brand to get exposure outside of the US.

desco80

« Reply #1255 on: July 31, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
Early season non conference games are largely forgotten by the time the selection committee meets in march.  I wouldn't tell coach he should schedule them, but if he does I don't think it amounts to much either way.

I don't see that much difference in playing a quality opponent on an army base in Asia versus going to Maui or Puerto Rico and playing one quality team and one cupcake.   

All else being equal though Id rather he keep the guys on the same practice schedule, and eliminate unnecessary distractions.  That's why I think the whole not leaving NYC till January is an awesome way to open the season. (Minus South Dakota obviously). 

paultzman

« Reply #1256 on: August 01, 2013, 09:39:04 AM »
Nice touch IMO. could our "esteemed AD" give up a day at tanning salon to do likewise? Nice professional touch! We have a lot to be proud of also. Does not have to be a message just about last year. Why not include overall success of sports program. God knows we can spin things on twitter.

Btw, GT is excellent at communicating with alums and potential donors.

“@HoyasUnlimited: Check out this special message from @HoyasAD on the past year in Georgetown Athletics, thanking all of our... http://fb.me/Q3dFbrz0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:44:31 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #1257 on: August 01, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »
Early season non conference games are largely forgotten by the time the selection committee meets in march.  I wouldn't tell coach he should schedule them, but if he does I don't think it amounts to much either way.

I don't see that much difference in playing a quality opponent on an army base in Asia versus going to Maui or Puerto Rico and playing one quality team and one cupcake.   

All else being equal though Id rather he keep the guys on the same practice schedule, and eliminate unnecessary distractions.  That's why I think the whole not leaving NYC till January is an awesome way to open the season. (Minus South Dakota obviously). 

The 28+ hours flying time round trip between DC and Seoul would, more than any other road trip this year by any team, qualify as an unnecessary distraction.

desco80

« Reply #1258 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »

The 28+ hours flying time round trip between DC and Seoul would, more than any other road trip this year by any team, qualify as an unnecessary distraction.

good point 

« Reply #1259 on: August 02, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »

I think the publicity out weighs any "distraction" these games cause. You only get invited to participate in these games if you're big time and playing them keeps you big time.