Around Big East

• 3954 replies

MCNPA

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1300 on: September 07, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »
Make that St Louis and Dayton!

No need for Dayton when we have Xavier less than an hour away.  Having either VCU or Richmond in ACC country is what I'd like to add. 

The problem is that schools are (or at least were) pushing Dayton -- St. John's included.

I just think that adding St. Louis and a school in ACC country is the best bet.  VCU has great momentum and could really be a boon for the conference in that region.  The Anti-ACC school in Virginia.  St. Louis just seems a better fit than Dayton IMO, but I'd rather have to choose between the Billikens and Flyers.

sju89tr

« Reply #1301 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
Fox will want to get into the St. Louis market for sure and VCU had as an attractive head coach to market in Smart and would be a no brainer.

« Reply #1302 on: September 07, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
Fox will want to get into the St. Louis market for sure and VCU had as an attractive head coach to market in Smart and would be a no brainer.

Like Brad Stevens late of Butler?

paultzman

« Reply #1303 on: September 07, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
Don't underestimate influence of Presidents of Catholic schools to push Dayton. Not my choice, but just saying.

« Reply #1304 on: September 07, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
Don't underestimate influence of Presidents of Catholic schools to push Dayton. Not my choice, but just saying.
No why not say just thinking. A lesson learned  6 Catholic school got involved with one state university and one private school the second addition was a once private school which had became a public university. And before anyone knew what was going  the football playing schools were wagging the dog tail. Presidents of Catholic school know Dayton is not going to go to D1 football.

paultzman

« Reply #1305 on: September 07, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
No why not say just thinking. A lesson learned  6 Catholic school got involved with one state university and one private school the second addition was a once private school which had became a public university. And before anyone knew what was going  the football playing schools were wagging the dog tail. Presidents of Catholic school know Dayton is not going to go to D1 football.

Fair point.

redslope

« Reply #1306 on: September 07, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
The MAJOR thing against Dayton is Location.  There are no direct, non stop flights from virtually every Catholic 7 city except once a day from LaGuardia.  this is a negative; while St Louis is non stop (and cheaper) from virtually all C7 cities.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Yukon realized they were NOT a football power and never will be and dropped their FB to a lower division so that could ask to rejoin the BE.  As it stands now when all BE teams move out of the "AAC" and yukon is left with a second rate FB and BB conference and is traveling all over the country for their conference games; athletics will be a big time money loser for the state of CN.  They will become one of the cannon fodder teams for the majoe FB conferences just so they can make some money.

paultzman

« Reply #1307 on: September 10, 2013, 07:10:29 AM »
6'4" shooting guard, 4 star Rivals player;

“@JonRothstein: Very good get for Chris Mack RT @EvanDanielsFOX: JP Macura tweeted that he committed to Xavier.”

uwsfan

« Reply #1308 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
i think D1 football should not be an automatic disqualifier for future BE membership.

For example, UMass would be a good addition. They can play basketball in the BE and keep their football in the MAC. No major conference is EVER going to target them. Every school in the MAC, Conf USA, WAC, Mountain West, would have to be taken before UMass goes to a major conference.

Dayton is a school that I would have chosen over Butler, but I would rather look elsewhere at this point. It might be a good idea to see what happens with BYU over the next couple of years, and if the B-12  or ACC dont take them, their football may be looking at eternal independence, in which case their basketball program might be a good BE target.

« Reply #1309 on: September 10, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
i think D1 football should not be an automatic disqualifier for future BE membership.

For example, UMass would be a good addition. They can play basketball in the BE and keep their football in the MAC. No major conference is EVER going to target them. Every school in the MAC, Conf USA, WAC, Mountain West, would have to be taken before UMass goes to a major conference.

Dayton is a school that I would have chosen over Butler, but I would rather look elsewhere at this point. It might be a good idea to see what happens with BYU over the next couple of years, and if the B-12  or ACC dont take them, their football may be looking at eternal independence, in which case their basketball program might be a good BE target.

I agree...some schools are just never going to have big time FB programs..I would have liked to see the BE take Temple

paultzman

« Reply #1310 on: September 11, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
"Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross said Wednesday night on his radio show on TK99 that there is a 10-year basketball contract on the table that would bring Syracuse and Georgetown together on the hardwood.

Gross said Syracuse signed the contract and is waiting for Georgetown to sign off on it. There was no mention of when the games would be played."

“@MinkNate: In addition to Georgetown note, Gross also had update on indoor football practice facility: http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/09/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html#incart_river_default

« Reply #1311 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
"Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross said Wednesday night on his radio show on TK99 that there is a 10-year basketball contract on the table that would bring Syracuse and Georgetown together on the hardwood.

Gross said Syracuse signed the contract and is waiting for Georgetown to sign off on it. There was no mention of when the games would be played."

“@MinkNate: In addition to Georgetown note, Gross also had update on indoor football practice facility: http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/09/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html#incart_river_default

"Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director/Chief Communications Officer for External Affairs Joe Giansante clarified that no official contract has been signed, but Syracuse has agreed to the "concept" of the series and is waiting to hear back from Georgetown."

SMH. I think the deal eventually gets done, but Cuse is a bunch of clowns. Their AD is either full of shit (most likely) or misspoke pretty badly saying he had signed a contract that does not even exist>

« Reply #1312 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »

"Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director/Chief Communications Officer for External Affairs Joe Giansante clarified that no official contract has been signed, but Syracuse has agreed to the "concept" of the series and is waiting to hear back from Georgetown."

SMH. I think the deal eventually gets done, but Cuse is a bunch of clowns. Their AD is either full of shit (most likely) or misspoke pretty badly saying he had signed a contract that does not even exist>

You want the series though right?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1313 on: September 12, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
As long as it is a true home and home then yes. I definitely want the series. I do not want to settle for the deal Nova did or 1  home 1 away and 1 @ MSG.

I just worry about cuse screwing up the deal by trying to put public pressure on Georgetown to sign a deal (especially since no such deal existed) The last team to try this was Maryland. And we're now further than ever from having a basketball series with them as a result.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:25:36 PM by hoyahooligan »

paultzman

« Reply #1314 on: September 12, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Jim B would be willing to play GT in NYC. Shocking!

"Boeheim said the discussions with Georgetown are for a home-and-home series rotating annually between the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. and the Verizon Center in Washington D.C., but the Hoyas also mentioned playing a game in New York City."

"I would do that,'' Boeheim said. "We could do either one.''

“@ESPNAndyKatz: Syracuse, G'town working to extend rivalry with interesting quotes from Boeheim today:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9665796/syracuse-georgetown-working-10-year-proposal-extend-college-basketball-rivalry

paultzman

« Reply #1315 on: September 12, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »
“@Kieran_Lynch: Big East Media Day will take place Oct. 16 at Chelsea Piers per a release. #sjubb”

paultzman

« Reply #1316 on: September 15, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
“@joehoopsreport: Young's Paul White commitment to Georgetown came down to his feel and comfort level with staff, program, school ... http://bit.ly/17Yvfj9

6'9 Four Star PF.

Georgetown's impressive recruiting class now includes the top 100 trio of White, Peak and 6-8 forward and top 50 recruit Isaac Copeland, along with point guard Tre Campbell.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:34:40 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #1317 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
“@eamonnbrennan: Top 10 Tuesday: Teams with most to prove http://es.pn/188K2WX

2. Creighton: Doug McDermott's shot to become the first player since Wayman Tisdale and Patrick Ewing to win three straight first-team All-Americans is -- well, it's a lot of things. It's fantastic shorthand for the evolution (devolution?) of college basketball in the past 20 years. It's a fascinating footnote in the narrative of a player whose father didn't even recruit him to play at Iowa State. And, of course, it's testament to McDermott's consistent individual brilliance. What it is not is a sign of Creighton's collective national success. McDermott has been must-watch viewing these past two seasons, and his teams have been just as brilliant offensively -- free-flowing, smart, up-tempo, fun. But because the Bluejays have never quite built a solid defense on the other end of the floor, they've been limited -- unable to get big stops when they need them in the NCAA tournament. This year, individual brilliance and offensive aesthetics will be old hat. This year, Creighton is expected to do even more. First, they have to prove they can guard.

« Reply #1318 on: September 17, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »
just took a look at the big east website for the first time and I have to say it is very disappointing. nowhere could I find standings for each sport, a listing of all the sports, team rosters or anything like that. they def need to spend some time updating the site to make it worth visiting, its pretty terrible at the moment

Poison

« Reply #1319 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
just took a look at the big east website for the first time and I have to say it is very disappointing. nowhere could I find standings for each sport, a listing of all the sports, team rosters or anything like that. they def need to spend some time updating the site to make it worth visiting, its pretty terrible at the moment

It would have been great in 1997.