Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #1500 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
rankings of conferences, according to KPI Sports (http://kpisports.wordpress.com/kpibasketball/)  (start-up website using analytics for several different type of basketball stats.  the below, i believe, is based on w/l, so take it with a grain of salt:

@GoodmanESPN @kenpomeroy #KPI by conf as of 8 ET:
1-Big Ten;
2-Big 12;
3-A-10;
4-WCC;
5-Big East;
6-Pac-12;
7-SEC;
8-American;
9-ACC;
10-MVC

3 games into a season we are talking RPI ratings????

« Reply #1501 on: November 17, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »
Marquette struggling today against Ohio State. As  folks have pointed out previously, M'Q has some weaknesses in backcourt. Craft, that annoying, pesky OS guard has taken them to task today. M'Q is down 20 with five minutes to go. Buzz has sweated through five shirts.

Marquette is 1-16 from 3 pt shooting today.

BTW-If you go back to the Final 8 game last year when they lost to Syracuse 55-39 Marquette has 69 points TOTAL right now COMBINED against the last two ranked teams they have played.

Keep also in mind Marquette is by anyone's standard the pre-season top BE team and currently the only ranked BE team.  And that will probably change after today which means the BE won't have any ranked teams.

Keep this in mind in 3 early mathcups, SJU/Wisconsin, Georgetown/Oregon and now OSU/Marquette the new BE is 0-3.

Don't get me wrong I am a big supporter of this new conference.  But we have a LONG way to go before it is on the level of the Big 10 or ACC.  A LONG way to go.

The new conference is pulling in top level recruits at the same or better level than those conferences you mentioned though.  So what gives then?  The coaches not up to par?

I would be careful about TOP level recruits.  Yes they are pulling in a good number of top 100 but how many are top 50, top 25?  Seton Hall had to hire a high school coach to get one.

Meanwhile you saw how the top recruits broke yesterday, Duke and Kansas and Louisville.

It was my argument over the summer about the Big East having all these top 60 teams.  Great, but how many are top 10 to top 15.  1 or none meanwhile the Big 10 and the ACC have 4-5 EACH.  So the BE may have as many top 60 teams the truth is they don't have any elite programs right now.

Always been the case though.  While there have been some basketball only schools that made the Final Four or won championships in the last 30 years its still the vast minority.

Precisely my point from months earlier.  The Catholic schools needed to bolt but don't kid yourself into thinking that losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, ND and replacing them with Xavier and Butler is an equal swap.

Geez wait til the ACC gets Louisville next year.  They will have arguably 4 of the top 10 most prestigious programs in the country. Cuse, Ville, UNC and Duke.

Throw in Pitt and and that is probably 5 of the top 15 jobs in America in 1 conference.

Pitt a top 15 job in america? I'll have to disagree.

Debateable but hard to argue with facitlities and recent success.

Think about this from 2002 thru 2011, 10 straight years Pitt was arguably the best program in the best conference in America.   They had more league wins, more league regular season championships, more appearances in the conference championship games and 10 straight NCAA Tourney appearances.  No one in the BE could touch that.  And a tremendous home court.  The Peterson Center is a tremendous on campus facility.

Name me a program in the BE that is a better job then Pitt?  Seriously.  Maybe Georgetown, maybe. 

I look at the best jobs in the country as the best historic programs in the country. It can't just be about the success over the last ten years because if that was the case butler would be a better job than Indiana. Which it's not. And it can't just be because  f acilities or the type of salary a school can offer because if that were the case then Oregon would be a better job than duke. Also not true.

To add to your list of fourteen for sure teams, I would add Maryland, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova,  Marquette, UCONN, Wisconsin. 

Then there is these schools which are much more debatable but I would still lean towards better on.

NC State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Cincinnati, Gonzaga, Memphis.

Not trying to take anything away from Pitt, but top 15 job they are not.  Their between the 25-30th best and that's pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:32:25 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1502 on: November 18, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
Marquette struggling today against Ohio State. As  folks have pointed out previously, M'Q has some weaknesses in backcourt. Craft, that annoying, pesky OS guard has taken them to task today. M'Q is down 20 with five minutes to go. Buzz has sweated through five shirts.

BTW-If you go back to the Final 8 game last year when they lost to Syracuse 55-39 Marquette has 69 points TOTAL right now COMBINED against the last two ranked teams they have played.

Keep also in mind Marquette is by anyone's standard the pre-season top BE team and currently the only ranked BE team.  And that will probably change after today which means the BE won't have any ranked teams.

Keep this in mind in 3 early mathcups, SJU/Wisconsin, Georgetown/Oregon and now OSU/Marquette the new BE is 0-3.

Don't get me wrong I am a big supporter of this new conference.  But we have a LONG way to go before it is on the level of the Big 10 or ACC.  A LONG way to go.

The new conference is pulling in top level recruits at the same or better level than those conferences you mentioned though.  So what gives then?  The coaches not up to par?

I would be careful about TOP level recruits.  Yes they are pulling in a good number of top 100 but how many are top 50, top 25?  Seton Hall had to hire a high school coach to get one.

Meanwhile you saw how the top recruits broke yesterday, Duke and Kansas and Louisville.

It was my argument over the summer about the Big East having all these top 60 teams.  Great, but how many are top 10 to top 15.  1 or none meanwhile the Big 10 and the ACC have 4-5 EACH.  So the BE may have as many top 60 teams the truth is they don't have any elite programs right now.

Always been the case though.  While there have been some basketball only schools that made the Final Four or won championships in the last 30 years its still the vast minority.

Precisely my point from months earlier.  The Catholic schools needed to bolt but don't kid yourself into thinking that losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, ND and replacing them with Xavier and Butler is an equal swap.

Geez wait til the ACC gets Louisville next year.  They will have arguably 4 of the top 10 most prestigious programs in the country. Cuse, Ville, UNC and Duke.

Throw in Pitt and and that is probably 5 of the top 15 jobs in America in 1 conference.

Think about this from 2002 thru 2011, 10 straight years Pitt was arguably the best program in the best conference in America.   They had more league wins, more league regular season championships, more appearances in the conference championship games and 10 straight NCAA Tourney appearances.  No one in the BE could touch that.  And a tremendous home court.  The Peterson Center is a tremendous on campus facility.

Name me a program in the BE that is a better job then Pitt?  Seriously.  Maybe Georgetown, maybe. 

I look at the best jobs in the country as the best historic programs in the country. It can't just be about the success over the last ten years because if that was the case butler would be a better job than Indiana. Which it's not. And it can't just be because  f acilities or the type of salary a school can offer because if that were the case then Oregon would be a better job than duke. Also not true.

To add to your list of fourteen for sure teams, I would add Maryland, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova,  Marquette, UCONN, Wisconsin. 

Then there is these schools which are much more debatable but I would still lean towards better on.

Not trying to take anything away from Pitt, but top 15 job they are not.  Their between the 25-30th best and that's pretty damn good.

Disagee.  And if history is the deciding factor then UCONN goes nowhere near the top 15 because before Calhoun got there they were a cow pasture.

10 years is no a small sample and it was a pretty dominant 10 years.  You don' have that or what UCONN did from the 90's into the mid 2000's if you are a top 30 program.  No way. 

« Reply #1503 on: November 18, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
BTW-Keep this in mind, Cincy and UCONN were BEGGING for ACC invites.  And yet the ACC took Pitt ahead of them.

desco80

« Reply #1504 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
The 15 best coaching jobs are (with slight variation) the ones that pay the most.   
It really is that simple.   

paultzman

« Reply #1505 on: November 18, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
@slrussell: Creighton's Doug McDermott is the Big East player of the week. DePaul's Tommy Hamilton IV is the rookie of the week.

« Reply #1506 on: November 18, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

Disagree.  And if history is the deciding factor then UCONN goes nowhere near the top 15 because before Calhoun got there they were a cow pasture.

10 years is no a small sample and it was a pretty dominant 10 years.  You don' have that or what UCONN did from the 90's into the mid 2000's if you are a top 30 program.  No way. 

Andy Glockner  of SI.com has his list from September.

He weighs recent success a lot.  He has UCONN, Wisconsin and Memphis in his top 15 and Michigan and Texas between 15 and 20.

He tends to agree with you on Pitt.

But either way he confirms my earlier point the only BE school he has in his top 20 is Georgetown.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/09/26/ranking-college-basketballs-best-current-programs-6-10/

« Reply #1507 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »

Disagee.  And if history is the deciding factor then UCONN goes nowhere near the top 15 because before Calhoun got there they were a cow pasture.

You confused me with you final paragraph. The difference With uconn's recent success is that it includes 3 national championships. That's enough for a 100 year period let alone a 15 year one.  Again this is my opinion. The difference between a Marquette, Villanova, or Cincy and a Pitt is that those programs have recent success and a great history including NAtional championships, final four appearances, as well as hall of fame coaches and players. 

« Reply #1508 on: November 18, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »
Pitt is not a top 15 job.

Why do you think there are rumors about Dixon leaving all the time?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #1509 on: November 18, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »

What?

That is a ridiculous answer.  Bill Self was "rumored" to leave Kansas for Oklahoma St, I guess Kansa sucks.

Marquette really must suck because Buzz was rumored to Oklahoma a few years ago.

So because a rumor says a coach might leave that is evidence that the school isn't top 15?  Despite the fact that Dixon is still there after a decade...

How about this?  I'll start a rumor that Calipari is leaving for Texas after they fire Rick Barnes that in itself proves Kentucky is not an elite job.  Seriously....

« Reply #1510 on: November 18, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
But guys don't miss my point, there are reasonable arguments AGAINST my assertion on Pitt.  I happen to think the Final Four/NC argument is weak kind of like the Super Bowl argument for QBs.  Butler and VCU have more FF then Pitt and no way are they better programs.  Calhoun has more NCs then Dean Smith but he is not a better coach or a better program.

But my overall point is where the current BE stands with other conferences.  They need to have an SJU step up
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:27:42 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #1511 on: November 18, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

What?

That is a ridiculous answer.  Bill Self was "rumored" to leave Kansas for Oklahoma St, I guess Kansa sucks.

Marquette really must suck because Buzz was rumored to Oklahoma a few years ago.

So because a rumor says a coach might leave that is evidence that the school isn't top 15?  Despite the fact that Dixon is still there after a decade...

How about this?  I'll start a rumor that Calipari is leaving for Texas after they fire Rick Barnes that in itself proves Kentucky is not an elite job.  Seriously....

Those other rumors are ridiculous. 

Persistent annual Dixon to the west coast rumors are seen as legit because the general perception is Pittsburgh is not a top 15 job.  Apparently so far...you are the only one who thinks Pitt is a top 15 job.  At some point general perception becomes reality.

And you are late to the realignment party on bashing the Big East conference.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #1512 on: November 18, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »

You confused me with you final paragraph. The difference With uconn's recent success is that it includes 3 national championships. That's enough for a 100 year period let alone a 15 year one.  Again this is my opinion. The difference between a Marquette, Villanova, or Cincy and a Pitt is that those programs have recent success and a great history including NAtional championships, final four appearances, as well as hall of fame coaches and players. 

Pitt has been a great BE conference program since 2002/2003. Before then, they were typically one of the worst BE programs in the conference along w BC. Uconn's success in the conference didn't just start 15 years ago. It's really more like 25 years ago. Calhoun took his lumps, but once Nadav Henefield and Tate George signed on, things changed for the better, and they never looked back.

Pitt's facilities and overall basketball presence is largely due to the notoriety of their football program. Without football driving awareness to the University, no one would even know they existed. Ben Howland and then Dixon recruited wisely and built the bball program into a perenial top 25 team. For that, they deserve massive credit.

Still, it doesn't put Pitt in the top 15 for anything. While they have clearly proven to be an excellent BE program, when the tournament starts they lay an egg every year. In the BE, I think GTown and Nova are better jobs. Possibly Marquette as well.

In the ACC alone, you've got Louisville, Duke, NC, Maryland, GT, NC State as obviously better, and then you've got other conferences w jobs like Kansas, UK, UF, UCLA, Arizona, MSU, UM, UW, Ind etc. Pitt isn't at that level.

« Reply #1513 on: November 18, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
Pitt did win back to back BE reg season championships in 87 and 88 (send it ni Jerome)  but the later Paul Evans years and the Ralph Williard years were very lean.  But since Howland started there they've always been good, often very good, just rarely great.

« Reply #1514 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »
But guys don't miss my point, there are reasonable arguments AGAINST my assertion on Pitt.  I happen to think the Final Four/NC argument is weak kind of like the Super Bowl argument for QBs.  Butler and VCU have more FF then Pitt and no way are they better programs.  Calhoun has more NCs then Dean Smith but he is not a better coach or a better program.

But my overall point is where the current BE stands with other conferences.  They need to have an SJU step up

Quarterbacks can luck out and get on a good team with a great defense. See Dilfer. College basketball programs don't usually luck out and get great players with great results.

paultzman

« Reply #1515 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
@SIPeteThamel: Northeastern ties with Georgetown. 40-40. Eleven minutes left. ESPNU

« Reply #1516 on: November 21, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
2 Min to go Gwtn56 Ne 56

paultzman

« Reply #1517 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
GT down 4 with minute to go. They really got outplayed down low, surprising. NE is well coached.

paultzman

« Reply #1518 on: November 21, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
GT loses by 7! Must think it is March.

paultzman

« Reply #1519 on: November 21, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
Loss not helpful to BE, but a funny line;

@BSnowScout: Georgetown should just no longer play in tournaments. It really isn't their thing