Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Poison

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1620 on: December 01, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
Providence looking very capable tonight. Think they are the ahead of us at this point.

Based on what?  So because they play a decent half against a Kentucky team that really has not look good at all this year including trailing Cleveland St by 10 with 7 minutes to play at home is somehow evidence they are good.

They  beat BC in OT, a BC team that opened the season 0-3.  They beat Brown by 4.  Brown is who?  They lost to a Maryland team, scoring a grand total of 52 points, that lost at home to Oregon St.  An Oregon St team that has a home loss to Coppin St and now a blowout loss on the road to...DePaul...

I love SJU fans.  They critique the hell out of SJU and then watch another team for 5 minutes and they are not only experts on those teams but already to make judgements on where SJU fits 6-7 games into the season.

So you're saying we can form a reasonable judgement on Providence because of the competition they've played thus far? Gotchya. But just don't do that regarding Penn State, because you "can't do that".

Glad we cleared that up. Explain something else to us why don't you?

Read my next post and I explained it guy. Personally I don't think either team has been particularly impressive which also makes my point.

And good for you I will be here to explain things so you don't wallow in your own ignorance.

Right. I'll be anxiously awaiting your next flip flop. Or not.

MCNPA

« Reply #1621 on: December 01, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
My overall point has little to do with if you think SJU is living up to there hype or not.  I am personally not happy with the loss to PSU.

It just seems some of you will literally INVENT reasons to criticize SJU with non-sensical posts that are not researched and quite frankly fall flat.

I don't believe in judging a team by a few games I sure as hell don't think you can judge a program because of a few minutes.

My God if that is the case then most of the BE is behind Cleveland St....

Nobody happy about our PSU loss.  But if our worst loss entering Big East play is an overtime loss to a solid Big Ten team who we should have beaten in regulation, then we are doing well.  We need to hold serve and at minimum beat everybody we need to beat. MIT we beat Cuse, it's a huge bonus. 

desco80

« Reply #1622 on: December 01, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »
My overall point has little to do with if you think SJU is living up to there hype or not.  I am personally not happy with the loss to PSU.

It just seems some of you will literally INVENT reasons to criticize SJU with non-sensical posts that are not researched and quite frankly fall flat.

I don't believe in judging a team by a few games I sure as hell don't think you can judge a program because of a few minutes.

My God if that is the case then most of the BE is behind Cleveland St....

Nobody happy about our PSU loss.  But if our worst loss entering Big East play is an overtime loss to a solid Big Ten team who we should have beaten in regulation, then we are doing well.  We need to hold serve and at minimum beat everybody we need to beat. MIT we beat Cuse, it's a huge bonus. 

You didn't watch the PSU game, how can you tell me it's not that bad a loss?
We played horrendous for 30 minutes.   It was embarrassing.   And then we came out and scored 4pts in the first 12mins against Georgia Tech.   

It's not the end of the world, and nobody should be encouraging Linda and the other loons.   But coming out of this weekend it's very difficult to say we're on the right track.   
We're treading water.   I wish there were these bright signs of what we could become, but you have to look very very hard to see any progress.

gman

« Reply #1623 on: December 02, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
Bad night  for the big east with Marquette, creighton and providence all losing. Marquette will fall from the top 25 and possibly creighton as well.

paultzman

« Reply #1624 on: December 02, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
Bad night  for the big east with Marquette, creighton and providence all losing. Marquette will fall from the top 25 and possibly creighton as well.

What makes this league so tough is that, with the exception of DePaul, it will be highly difficult to sweep anyone. Holding serve at home and stealing two BE road games seems a recipe for NCAA tourney participation.  A Cuse win, very improbable, but not impossible, adds flexibility to equation.

The BE has thus far not awed anyone, but it is a solid league. Every night will be a war and fun to watch.  It may never rival old BE, but, without dominant top dogs, every game should prove exciting. Oddly, as stated, it will be hard to sweep teams, but any team not bringing A game every night runs risk of being swept. Hope that makes sense.

gman

« Reply #1625 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »

What makes this league so tough is that, with the exception of DePaul, it will be highly difficult to sweep anyone. Holding serve at home and stealing two BE road games seems a recipe for NCAA tourney participation.  A Cuse win, very improbable, but not impossible, adds flexibility to equation.

The BE has thus far not awed anyone, but it is a solid league. Every night will be a war and fun to watch.  It may never rival old BE, but, without dominant top dogs, every game should prove exciting. Oddly, as stated, it will be hard to sweep teams, but any team not bringing A game every night runs risk of being swept. Hope that makes sense.

I agree. Not a lot of star power like the old big east, but a solid and competitve league.

« Reply #1626 on: December 02, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
Watched the Marquette/San Diego State game, State is built similar to our team just X Thames shoots a better percentage from 3 than D'Lo.

MCNPA

« Reply #1627 on: December 02, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Watched the Marquette/San Diego State game, State is built similar to our team just X Thames shoots a better percentage from 3 than D'Lo.

I like Winston Sheperd too.  Wouldn't have minded him on the team. 

paultzman

« Reply #1628 on: December 02, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
Nova 14 in AP & 19 in Coaches poll.

paultzman

« Reply #1629 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Villanova's James Bell named Big East Player of the Week. DePaul's Billy Garrett Jr Rookie of the Week

@StJohnsBBall: Congrats to D'Angelo Harrison, selected to the @BIGEASTConf Honor Roll for the first time this season and ninth time in his career. #SJUBB
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:18:10 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #1630 on: December 03, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
Providence looking very capable tonight. Think they are the ahead of us at this point.

Based on what?  So because they play a decent half against a Kentucky team that really has not look good at all this year including trailing Cleveland St by 10 with 7 minutes to play at home is somehow evidence they are good.

They  beat BC in OT, a BC team that opened the season 0-3.  They beat Brown by 4.  Brown is who?  They lost to a Maryland team, scoring a grand total of 52 points, that lost at home to Oregon St.  An Oregon St team that has a home loss to Coppin St and now a blowout loss on the road to...DePaul...

I love SJU fans.  They critique the hell out of SJU and then watch another team for 5 minutes and they are not only experts on those teams but already to make judgements on where SJU fits 6-7 games into the season.

Providence's performance has been much more impressive than St. John's to date.

Wins over BC, Lasalle , Vanderbilt, and Vermont (Who almost beat duke in Cameron) are much more impressive than St. John's wins over I guess GT is the only one worth listing comparing to PC's wins. Yes Wisconsin is good, but Penn State is bad. That is a bad loss for St. John's. Penn State is not a tournament team. Much worse of a loss than PC's to Maryland who is at least a Bubble team ( I think they end up on the wrong side, but they'll be on the bubble). Penn State is no where near the bubble.

« Reply #1631 on: December 03, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »

Wins over BC, Lasalle , Vanderbilt, and Vermont (Who almost beat duke in Cameron) are much more impressive than St. John's wins over I guess GT is the only one worth listing comparing to PC's wins. Yes Wisconsin is good, but Penn State is bad. That is a bad loss for St. John's. Penn State is not a tournament team. Much worse of a loss than PC's to Maryland who is at least a Bubble team ( I think they end up on the wrong side, but they'll be on the bubble). Penn State is no where near the bubble.
[/quote]

Impressive?
BC 3-4, lost to Toledo
Lasalle 3-4, lost to Manhattan and Penn State
Vandy 4-3, have beat nobody
Vermont 3-6, lost to Wagner

« Reply #1632 on: December 03, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »

Impressive?
BC 3-4, lost to Toledo
Lasalle 3-4, lost to Manhattan and Penn State
Vandy 4-3, have beat nobody
Vermont 3-6, lost to Wagner
[/quote]

all still better than GT

« Reply #1633 on: December 03, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

Neither is Maryland who lost at home to Oregon St.  Look you maybe right, but it is hardly overwhelming.  LaSalle lost 4 times already including at home to a MAAC school.  Vermont was 1-5.  Vandy has done nothing this year.  None of those teams are Tourney teams.

Let's be clear neither one of those teams has beaten a NCAA team yet and PC lost to a team who you claim to be a bubble team that has a home loss to Oregon St already.  You can't use Vermont nearly beating X and then ignore LaSalle having all of these losses and Maryland losing at home already.

« Reply #1634 on: December 03, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
SJU beat the favorite in the NEC, Wagner.  That does not better a win over a 1-5 Vermont team, why?

Because Vermont nearly beat Duke?  OK.

Well LIU lost to Indiana by 1 at IU.  So would you be impressed if SJU beat LIU instead of Holy Cross or Wagner?  Why? 

Keep in mind in addition to that 1 point loss to Indiana LIU also lost to E Washington by THIRY TWO POINTS and BU by FIFTEEN. 

Does anyone here think an SJU win over LIU would be impressive? 

I am not suggesting SJU has done a lot yet, by no means.  But PC’s schedule is hardly overwhelming either and you can argue PC has lost to the two best teams on their schedule.

paultzman

« Reply #1635 on: December 03, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
The field for the 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis has been revealed;

The eight teams: Florida, North Carolina, UCLA, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Butler, Oklahoma and UAB.

desco80

« Reply #1636 on: December 03, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
I've been the first to discount both the PSU loss and the GT win, but both teams are playing well tonight.
Georgia Tech leads Illinois at half and Penn State is up 2 on Pittsburgh.

« Reply #1637 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »
I've been the first to discount both the PSU loss and the GT win, but both teams are playing well tonight.
Georgia Tech leads Illinois at half and Penn State is up 2 on Pittsburgh.

Look I don't think either one is tremendous but PSU in particular is not "terrible."  That backcourt they have is legit.  Pat Chambers is a really good up and coming coach.

And ask yourself this, PSU plays Providence right now are you telling me Providence blows them out?  Says who?  Based on what? Because they only trailed Kentucky by 15 midway thru the second half?

PSU is terrible?? 

« Reply #1638 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

You may be right on some points...SJ hasn't looked good...But Providence has not exactly beaten anybody great either...Further, while Penn State may not be a tourney team, they are not a bad team...Frankly, the Hoyas could lose to them if they played...they play smart and hard for 40 minutes...

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #1639 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:04 PM »
How many BE teams make the tournament if every school comes in with a so-so ooc record and then beat each other up during the BE season?

Does it really matter that the BE only has one ranked team now?
Cougar O' Malley