Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #1840 on: January 14, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
@BenStandig: JT3 said Josh Smith will not travel to Xavier for Wednesday's game. Missed last two games due to academic issues. #hoyas

With our luck he will return on 2/16 to help ward off our "February Surge".

This seems just like what happened with their kid last year. Whittington?

Also, Sutherland of Cuse returned from suspension in time to torch us.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:10:00 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #1841 on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
This is how bad  it has gotten....commentators on SHU vs. GT  game said that if SHU can win  (they are ahead), they have some winnable  games coming  up....sad  but true     

paultzman

« Reply #1842 on: January 18, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
Hope this nugget is not tweeted by mission control as an indication of progress;

@JohnGasaway: At the moment Georgetown's offense ranks No. 10 in Big East play, scoring 0.96 points per trip. Yes, worse than St. John's.

« Reply #1843 on: January 18, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
This is how bad  it has gotten....commentators on SHU vs. GT  game said that if SHU can win  (they are ahead), they have some winnable  games coming  up....sad  but true     

And wait till Willard has some real talent coming in?   good night St. John's 

paultzman

« Reply #1844 on: January 18, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »
Butler finally wins one over M'Q at home in OT.

« Reply #1845 on: January 18, 2014, 04:27:09 PM »
In the basement

« Reply #1846 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »
Providence playing well again...Tough team...Cotton reminds me of Hardy...great offensive player and a real leader on the court

« Reply #1847 on: January 18, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
providence just crushing creighton. they could have been really good if the suspensions and injuries did not happen

Marillac

« Reply #1848 on: January 18, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »

Butler is solid team that got off to a rough start in conference play.  I think they will be a certain top 20 team next season when Roosevelt Jones returns and their young guys get an extra year under their belts.

Much like us, they have had a very tough schedule to start conference play: Nova, @Xavier, Depaul, Georgetown, and @Creighton. 

There are no easy wins in this conference, man.  SH and Depaul are better than anyone expected.  It says a lot about the strength of a conference when 3/4 of your bottom teams are Marquette, Butler, and St. John's.

paultzman

« Reply #1849 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »

@AdamZagoria: Bryce Cotton of Providence is the Big East Player of the Week and Billy Garrett Jr. Of DePaul is ROW

paultzman

« Reply #1850 on: January 20, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »
@NJHoopsHaven: Just saw the latest Top 25. Villanova is up to 4th. Creighton is out (26th). UConn 27th.

desco80

« Reply #1851 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »

Butler is solid team that got off to a rough start in conference play.  I think they will be a certain top 20 team next season when Roosevelt Jones returns and their young guys get an extra year under their belts.

Much like us, they have had a very tough schedule to start conference play: Nova, @Xavier, Depaul, Georgetown, and @Creighton. 

There are no easy wins in this conference, man.  SH and Depaul are better than anyone expected.  It says a lot about the strength of a conference when 3/4 of your bottom teams are Marquette, Butler, and St. John's.

I haven't seen Butler play much, if at all, yet; what do you think of the new guy Brandon Miller?

Moose

« Reply #1852 on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »

I haven't seen Butler play much, if at all, yet; what do you think of the new guy Brandon Miller?

They got off to a good start but I've seen a few comments lately about he needs to firm up his X's and O's.  He's real young though so that's expected.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #1853 on: January 20, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »

You can never fully replace a guy like Brad Stevens.  Miller is a very solid, young coach with deep ties to the program and enjoyed great success as a player at Butler.  He will be fine.  Starting 1-5 I conference will always make fans question some aspects, but the truth is this group has played a very tough schedule and has lost more close games than just about anyone.

It's three most talents players are a son, frosh, and a junior sitting out the year due to injury.

paultzman

« Reply #1854 on: January 20, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Villanova fans are louder down 22 than St. John's fans have been all year.

goredmen

« Reply #1855 on: January 20, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Villanova fans are louder down 22 than St. John's fans have been all year.

He's probably right but Brazille seems to go out of his way to attack our fan base. He's a real piece of you know what for that and a few other things he's done.

Got to hope Creighton doesn't open up a 28 point first half lead against us. If that happens I don't think we have the fight needed to cut it 13 by halftime like nova did

Moose

« Reply #1856 on: January 20, 2014, 08:15:20 PM »

He's probably right but Brazille seems to go out of his way to attack our fan base. He's a real piece of you know what for that and a few other things he's done.

Got to hope Creighton doesn't open up a 28 point first half lead against us. If that happens I don't think we have the fight needed to cut it 13 by halftime like nova did

The truth hurts sometimes.

Marillac

« Reply #1857 on: January 20, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »

I agree.  I have no doubt he is right, but that  just uncalled for.  Villanova is #4 in the country, and it is very plausible that they  can overcome a deficit like that at home--especially one created by the three-ball.  Live by the 3, die by the 3.

« Reply #1858 on: January 20, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »

I agree.  I have no doubt he is right, but that  just uncalled for.  Villanova is #4 in the country, and it is very plausible that they  can overcome a deficit like that at home--especially one created by the three-ball.  Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Kind of interesting we have been more effective from 3pt line over last 6 games and we are 1-5.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:27:29 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

Moose

« Reply #1859 on: January 20, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »

People would piss and moan that Lenn Robbins would never say anything bad.  Now we have a reporter who isn't afraid to take the coach or admin to task.  And we complain.

So is the life of St. John's fans.