Around Big East

• 3954 replies

goredmen

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #2900 on: January 22, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »
Here's what Cain said at the time

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1526227-cain-commits-to-depaul

DePaul picked up their fourth 2015 pledge on Wednesday.

Elijah Cain, a standout at Newark (N.J.) St. Benedict, informed Scout that he will play his college basketball at DePaul. Cain picked the Blue Demons over Iona, Delaware and Wagner.

“I think it’s a good situation for me,” Cain said. “They are losing a wing player and they don’t have good guard depth. I think I can come in as a freshman and get some time.

“I like the location,” he added. “It’s in the Big East and I think with coach [Oliver] Purnell I can do well.

Cain took an official visit to DePaul last week.

“It was my first time being in Chicago,” he said. “I didn’t know what to expect. It was crazy. I wasn’t expecting it to be like that. The campus was real nice. I just got a good vibe.”

Cain, a 6-foot-5 wing, is a talented scorer. Cain scored 1,000 points in his first seasons at Medford Tech. He scored another thousand during his final two seasons at St. Benedict. Cain said he sees his offensive abilities fitting in at DePaul.

“They seem pretty free,” he said about their playing style. “They don’t do a lot of plays and stuff. They play similar to how we play on the AAU circuit. They trust their players and we go out there and play.”

That last quote is why DePaul has been at the bottom of the BE forever and the same can be said about our playing style under this staff

« Reply #2901 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:37 PM »

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1526227-cain-commits-to-depaul

Elijah Cain, a standout at Newark (N.J.) St. Benedict, informed Scout that he will play his college basketball at DePaul. Cain picked the Blue Demons over Iona, Delaware and Wagner.

“I think it’s a good situation for me,” Cain said. “They are losing a wing player and they don’t have good guard depth. I think I can come in as a freshman and get some time.

“I like the location,” he added. “It’s in the Big East and I think with coach [Oliver] Purnell I can do well.

“It was my first time being in Chicago,” he said. “I didn’t know what to expect. It was crazy. I wasn’t expecting it to be like that. The campus was real nice. I just got a good vibe.”

Cain, a 6-foot-5 wing, is a talented scorer. Cain scored 1,000 points in his first seasons at Medford Tech. He scored another thousand during his final two seasons at St. Benedict. Cain said he sees his offensive abilities fitting in at DePaul.

“They seem pretty free,” he said about their playing style. “They don’t do a lot of plays and stuff. They play similar to how we play on the AAU circuit. They trust their players and we go out there and play.”
Based on the schools listed makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the fact that other schools weren't involved. Kid looks good..

« Reply #2902 on: January 22, 2017, 11:42:33 PM »

Based on the schools listed makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the fact that other schools weren't involved. Kid looks good..

Seems like he was under recruited, it happens.

Johnny23

« Reply #2903 on: January 22, 2017, 11:52:20 PM »
Butler beats DePaul in a dogfight in OT.

Baldwin is another frosh stud who came up clutch. Eli Cain killed it with 32.
Why did Cain, a NJ kid, go to DePaul?

A lot of schools definitely whiffed on this kid. Going back to HS, he played his first 3 years at a small public school in South Jersey and was very overlooked. Then St. Ben's recruited him to come up North and finish HS and a PG year. 

He's a great example of what the Johnnies should be looking to add. I know you can only go after so many kids a year but I gotta believe between the 5 boros, LI, Jersey and occasionally CT and Westchester there are overlooked Eli Cains every year.

QuanMan

« Reply #2904 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
Biggest game to date in the Wojo era in downtown Milwaukee tonight. For a team with true promise in year 3, opportunity is knocking for a Marquette team that can solidify it's NCAA aspirations with a upset. They're 13-6 (4-3) looking for a program W. I expect a big crowd and primetime environment for this one. Nova will be tested. 
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #2905 on: January 24, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »
Biggest game to date in the Wojo era in downtown Milwaukee tonight. For a team with true promise in year 3, opportunity is knocking for a Marquette team that can solidify it's NCAA aspirations with a upset. They're 13-6 (4-3) looking for a program W. I expect a big crowd and primetime environment for this one. Nova will be tested. 

Marquette is better than I expected them to be. Should be a good one tonight.

« Reply #2906 on: January 24, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »

I was supposed to go to this game, going to Marquette to see Creighton  later in the schedule.

Some nice young players

« Reply #2907 on: January 24, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
Wow what a rally by Marquette.  Come all the way back and now just took the lead on Nova.

« Reply #2908 on: January 25, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
So Providence blitzes Georgetown on the road, Georgetown blows out SJU and tonight Creighton at home and Providence loses to SJU tonight.

Feel really bad for Creighton, Watson loss is a killer.  Wouldn't have minded to reverse that game from earlier this year and have the remaining game with without Watson be at home instead of Omaha.

« Reply #2909 on: January 25, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
Agree on Creighton.

As my man Baldi has accurately said, JTIII's rep now seems to be a coach that does less with talent than anyone in the country.  Gtown should be much much better with their roster.

« Reply #2910 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »
Agree on Creighton.

As my man Baldi has accurately said, JTIII's rep now seems to be a coach that does less with talent than anyone in the country.  Gtown should be much much better with their roster.

Personally, I don't love their roster. Devoid of guards.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2911 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
Delgado 22 rebounds last night

« Reply #2912 on: January 26, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
Trevor Blueitt on fire tonight vs. Cincinnati

26 pts at the half and perfect from field and buried  3's.

X is shooting 66% from 3 (10-15) vs. season avg 33%

Hopefully this doesn't carry over to Sunday
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:15:04 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #2913 on: January 28, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
And the strange gets stranger.  After losing to SJU at home PC goes on the road and beats a Marquette team coming off back to back wins against the top two teams in the BE-Creighton and Nova.

Then Georgetown who was 1-6 and left for dead drills Creighton at home and just beat Butler on the road...

MCNPA

« Reply #2914 on: January 28, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »
League is all competitive...  honestly.  The case is there's lots of good teams, not May bad ones.  The reason for the parity.  We may not have lots of great teams yet, but the big east is certainly moving towards it.

« Reply #2915 on: January 29, 2017, 01:23:29 AM »
One bad team - Depaul.

Four very good teams, which may have changed with Creighton losing Watson (might just be a "good" team) and Xavier if Sumner is out an extended period (and losing Davis, a very good player in years past).

A bunch of teams after that with talent, some better than others, who go up and down.

« Reply #2916 on: January 29, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
Villanova in a dogfight with Virginia.  The Cavs are up 31-22 at the half.  Virginia's defense and physicality seems to be bothering 'Nova at the moment. 

« Reply #2917 on: January 29, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
Villanova in a dogfight with Virginia.  The Cavs are up 31-22 at the half.  Virginia's defense and physicality seems to be bothering 'Nova at the moment. 

Virginia is legit. Some great coaching

« Reply #2918 on: January 29, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
He is one of the best defensive coaches in the country IMO.

« Reply #2919 on: January 29, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
My man Dante. Damn that kid is unathletic, right Marillac