Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Marillac

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3660 on: November 25, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
These areas of improvement you speak of is up to the staff to get them there by demanding they do it. What is your level of confidence the staff will be able to?

I think #1 and #3 will happen. There is just no way any staff can ignore the difference in perimeter skill between Heron/Figueroa/Dixon  and Simon. Fran repeatedly said he wouldn't even cover Simon outside the paint. If I was a coach I wouldn't either.

I'm hopeful for #2. The importance of offensive rebounding is one of the biggest differences in the college and NBA levels. It's so much more important in college where the skill level is much lower and a seasons can end in one game instead of a best of seven series. Any team can be off any given night.

QuanMan

« Reply #3661 on: November 25, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »
Let's see what Nova (FSU) and Hall (Miami) have in them today.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #3662 on: November 25, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
Good opportunity for BE to gain some momentum back grom rough first week or so.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #3663 on: November 26, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
Shamorie BE player of the week. Averaged 33.5-6-4-3 in BK. 

We received 19 votes in the AP this afternoon, #34 overall. Nova back at #23, Creighton 65 votes.

Most importantly we're at #29 in the NCAA net rankings, the metric the committee will use to determine seeding in March.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Conference is 43-15 overall, 4-1 against the ACC thus far, not too bad considering the start.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:37:04 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #3664 on: November 26, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »
Paging Goredmen! In the metric the NCAA will actually use we are #29 and Marquette the scheduling dynamos are #99! 

I'm glad we got this settled early instead of arguing this silly scheduling matter all year. *offers hand shake and awaits emotional apology*

Zach B
St Johns ranked 29th in the NET rankings, the metric selection committee will now use. Higher than I expected. Seton Hall is 85. #sjubb #shbb

Big East NET rankings:

29. St. John's #sjubb
36. Creighton #RollJays
38. Villanova #NovaNation
45. Butler #Butler
76. Georgetown #HoyaSaxa
78. DePaul #dpubb
85. Seton Hall #shubb
99. Marquette #mubb
101. Xavier #LetsGoX
115. Providence #pcbb

goredmen

« Reply #3665 on: November 26, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
Paging Goredmen! In the metric the NCAA will actually use we are #29 and Marquette the scheduling dynamos are #99! 

I'm glad we got this settled early instead of arguing this silly scheduling matter all year. *offers hand shake and awaits emotional apology*

Zach B
St Johns ranked 29th in the NET rankings, the metric selection committee will now use. Higher than I expected. Seton Hall is 85. #sjubb #shbb

Big East NET rankings:

29. St. John's #sjubb
36. Creighton #RollJays
38. Villanova #NovaNation
45. Butler #Butler
76. Georgetown #HoyaSaxa
78. DePaul #dpubb
85. Seton Hall #shubb
99. Marquette #mubb
101. Xavier #LetsGoX
115. Providence #pcbb

Ohio State is 1st. Loyola Marymount is 10th. I think we need to wait for some more data points before using this as a solid metric

Marillac

« Reply #3666 on: November 26, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
Ohio State is 1st. Loyola Marymount is 10th. I think we need to wait for some more data points before using this as a solid metric

What a cop out answer. Loyola is off to its best start in program history at 7-0 with a 13-pt win over Gtown and an 11-pt win @ UNLV. They've earned that #10 ranking thus far. As their SOS falls, so will their ranking.

Ohio St. is 6-0 and has beaten Creighton and Cincy in true road games.

St. John's is #6 in the RPI due to its strength of schedule thus far...exactly as I predicted. Sure that SOS will fall after the Ga Tech game, but we also have a game @Duke looming to clean up the weak schedule of games 8-12.

Obviously more data will change things. Marquette won't sit at #99 for long.

Can you at least admit you are surprised to see us ranked so high in RPI, SOS, and NET after five games?

goredmen

« Reply #3667 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »

What a cop out answer. Loyola is off to its best start in program history at 7-0 with a 13-pt win over Gtown and an 11-pt win @ UNLV. They've earned that #10 ranking thus far. As their SOS falls, so will their ranking.

Ohio St. is 6-0 and has beaten Creighton and Cincy in true road games.

St. John's is #6 in the RPI due to its strength of schedule thus far...exactly as I predicted. Sure that SOS will fall after the Ga Tech game, but we also have a game @Duke looming to clean up the weak schedule of games 8-12.

Obviously more data will change things. Marquette won't sit at #99 for long.

Can you at least admit you are surprised to see us ranked so high in RPI, SOS, and NET after five games?

Come on man. Be realistic a little bit at least. Ohio State is a very good team. They are not #1.

Loyola Marymount is far better than anybody expected they would be this season. Still, they are closer to 100 than they are to 10. The fact that they are 10 just shows how silly this NET is this early in the season.

I can't say I was surprised by the NET or any other metric like that because I didn't even know it was being released this early. If the rankings were closer to normalized and didn't have Loyola 10th, Belmont 12th and Radford 22nd among other crazy rankings, I'd think it has merit at this point.

While your point has shifted from "the schedule isn't weak" to "the schedule is perfect because we need to play weak teams because we aren't good yet" back to "the schedule isn't weak", my point has remained consistent throughout: This schedule will hurt us in March regardless of what happens and everybody outside of the SJU bubble can see that. 

Marillac

« Reply #3668 on: November 27, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »
Come on man. Be realistic a little bit at least. Ohio State is a very good team. They are not #1.

Loyola Marymount is far better than anybody expected they would be this season. Still, they are closer to 100 than they are to 10. The fact that they are 10 just shows how silly this NET is this early in the season.

I can't say I was surprised by the NET or any other metric like that because I didn't even know it was being released this early. If the rankings were closer to normalized and didn't have Loyola 10th, Belmont 12th and Radford 22nd among other crazy rankings, I'd think it has merit at this point.

While your point has shifted from "the schedule isn't weak" to "the schedule is perfect because we need to play weak teams because we aren't good yet" back to "the schedule isn't weak", my point has remained consistent throughout: This schedule will hurt us in March regardless of what happens and everybody outside of the SJU bubble can see that. 

My point hasn't shifted once in several months. It has always been that the schedule isn't weak (or strong) overall like you and many others claim, and that the schedule we have is damn near perfect for who we are as a team to begin the year. Find any evidence of
suggesting this schedule is not a great fit for us. You can't.

The first five games of our schedule were very strong. Ga Tech can carry this upcoming cupcake to game 7 remaining a tough schedule. Games 8-12 will be weak with Princeton on a down season. I expect the SOS to suffer, bit OOC game #13 is @ Duke which is like a SOS steroid shot.

Ideally, I wish we split the Duke game and Princeton into two home games against teams in the top 50 at the end of OOC play, but nobody wants to play this team at the Garden.

goredmen

« Reply #3669 on: November 27, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Find any evidence of suggesting this schedule is not a great fit for us. You can't.

You're right, I can't. Similarly, there is no evidence that this schedule was a good fit for us. Who's to say we wouldn't have beaten better teams in those games?

The first five games of our schedule were very strong.

Comical. We didn't play a top 100 team. You are the only one who thinks playing two cupcakes, two of the worst power 5 conference teams and a middling A10 team could be anywhere close to considered "very strong"

Marillac

« Reply #3670 on: November 27, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
You're right, I can't. Similarly, there is no evidence that this schedule was a good fit for us. Who's to say we wouldn't have beaten better teams in those games?

Comical. We didn't play a top 100 team. You are the only one who thinks playing two cupcakes, two of the worst power 5 conference teams and a middling A10 team could be anywhere close to considered "very strong"

VCU and Rutgers are top 80 in the NET rankings.

goredmen

« Reply #3671 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
VCU and Rutgers are top 80 in the NET rankings.

I don't know how emoji's work so imagine the eyeroll one here.

For the sake of my sanity and for the board, I'm willing to call a truce on this topic until March 17th. Agree?

Marillac

« Reply #3672 on: November 27, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
I don't know how emoji's work so imagine the eyeroll one here.

For the sake of my sanity and for the board, I'm willing to call a truce on this topic until March 17th. Agree?

Sorry bruh. You lost this and have earned what's coming.

goredmen

« Reply #3673 on: November 27, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »
Sorry bruh. You lost this and have earned what's coming.

Yeah, me and every other person that has glanced at our schedule including Rothstein, Zach etc. If you want to continue I sure can. Just seems like everybody else is sick of this already and we've essentially just been repeating ourselves the last few weeks (haven't heard you talk up Bowling Green again though recently, odd). It will be confirmed on March 17th one way or another.

« Reply #3674 on: December 03, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »
Villanova only BE team in AP 25 still-Marquette, Creighton and Johnnies receive votes. Maybe we crack it next week.

« Reply #3675 on: December 03, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
Just need to keep winning and it will sort itself out. 12-0 needs to be the goal heading into big east play. We need to get behind the team and this team is going to be the only team to keep NY sports going until baseball season. Time for St. John's to take back the city!

Marillac

« Reply #3676 on: December 03, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »
Villanova only BE team in AP 25 still-Marquette, Creighton and Johnnies receive votes. Maybe we crack it next week.

We were #18 in Jerry Carino's AP Top 25 ballot.

Creighton is #21 in the CBS poll.

QuanMan

« Reply #3677 on: December 03, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
Marquette beats #12 Kansas St. this wknd, already has a win over Louisville and only lost to Kansas by 9 at Fog Allen. I feel like the AP short changed them this week with only 47 votes. Are schools like Furman and Buffalo really passing the eye test over the teams beneath them?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:36:11 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #3678 on: December 03, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
Marquette beats #12 Kansas St. this wknd, already has a win over Louisville and only lost to Kansas by 9 at Fog Allen. I feel like the AP short changed them this week with only 39 votes. Are schools like Furman and Buffalo really passing the eye test over the teams beneath them?

Have you seen Buffalo? Beat WVU in Morgantown. Enough said. A lot of talent like the Johnnies and with great coaching too.

QuanMan

« Reply #3679 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Have you seen Buffalo? Beat WVU in Morgantown. Enough said. A lot of talent like the Johnnies and with great coaching too.

Both schools have my respect, I watched the Furman/Nova game, haven't seen Buffalo just yet but their momentum from last year into this Fall warrants their ranking. Wofford is also a very talented mid major.  I'm just saying, when they dominate their leagues in a few months, will their positions hold?
Section 3
Section 116