Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Johnny23

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3740 on: December 22, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
Seth Davis at the ha;f just said Howard in the running for national POY. Must've read my earlier post lol.

tnice

« Reply #3741 on: December 22, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
I dont want to start the 19th OOC schedule argument, and I know MSG is going to have other college hoops games...but the fact that UConn is playing Nova instead of us on our freakin floor just burns my ass.

Rant over.

Foad

« Reply #3742 on: December 22, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »
Not saying your wrong but check his %s in comparison to ponds. Much much less efficient so far.

I wonder what the reaction here would be (that's rhetorical, I don't wonder) if Ponds scored 45 points on 25 shots - including 15 shots in a row - with six TO's. Less I think POY talk than what a selfish player talk. Heron takes 11 shots and folk talk about him hunting for stats.

cjfish

« Reply #3743 on: December 22, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
Just watched Villanova VS UConn.  Either Villanova is back or Hurley Can't coach.  Pathetic second half by UConn, must be the coaches fault. ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:01:11 PM by cjfish »

cjfish

« Reply #3744 on: December 22, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
Voters aren't looking at that nearly as much as these numbers that really matter which are:

45 pts vs #12 K State in a Win

27 pts vs #12 Wisconsin in a Win

45 pts vs #14 Buffalo in a Win

Hell, now that I'm listing it he's definitely in the early season running for National POY with these performances. Shamorie has time to catch up with big numbers and wins in the BE and against Duke.

Big individual numbers is not a winning formula, teamwork and sharing the ball is what it is all about.  If and when Howard has an off game guys who take 5-6 shots a game will have a hard time stepping up.  I love the way Ponds is sharing it this year....he can always get his shot if needed. 

« Reply #3745 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
I wonder what the reaction here would be (that's rhetorical, I don't wonder) if Ponds scored 45 points on 25 shots - including 15 shots in a row - with six TO's. Less I think POY talk than what a selfish player talk. Heron takes 11 shots and folk talk about him hunting for stats.
Would have his fair share of critics that’s for sure. FWIW, Howard getting 25 a game on 17.5 shots. Ponds getting 20 on just under 13 shots. Better defender, better passer.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #3746 on: December 22, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »

Big individual numbers is not a winning formula, teamwork and sharing the ball is what it is all about.  If and when Howard has an off game guys who take 5-6 shots a game will have a hard time stepping up.  I love the way Ponds is sharing it this year....he can always get his shot if needed.

Big individual numbers that propel your team to win games against ranked teams is exactly what it's about. That's what Howard has done this year and that's why he's in the running for national POY.

Poison

« Reply #3747 on: December 22, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Big individual numbers that propel your team to win games against ranked teams is exactly what it's about. That's what Howard has done this year and that's why he's in the running for national POY.

That's certainly true, but it's not Shamorie's fault that his coaching staff put together a Norm Roberts schedule.

Johnny23

« Reply #3748 on: December 22, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
That's certainly true, but it's not Shamorie's fault that his coaching staff put together a Norm Roberts schedule.

No doubt and Ponds still has plenty of time to make his mark by leading this team to wins in BE play.

Marillac

« Reply #3749 on: December 22, 2018, 06:53:52 PM »

Ponds was an all-American last year and WASJU said that he couldn't shoot and that Lovett was better.

Marillac

« Reply #3750 on: December 22, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
Good day for our SOS. Ga Tech lost to Georgia but VCU, Rutgers, Cal, and Bowling Green all won plus Nova big over Uconn.

VCU beat Wichita State by 16 and Bowlig Green won its third straight game by 21 points or more beating Western Carolina.

A SH won @ Maryland would top it off nicely. They are up with around 10 mins left.

Marillac

« Reply #3751 on: December 22, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
Wow SH wins in Maryland! After tonight the talk of schedules is over.

@SH and then Marquette to start conference play.

LoganK

« Reply #3752 on: December 23, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »
Good day for our SOS. Ga Tech lost to Georgia but VCU, Rutgers, Cal, and Bowling Green all won plus Nova big over Uconn.
Yup.  Moved our SOS all the way up to 344.  As in there are only 9 teams with a weaker OOC SOS.
Thankfully, we didn't do what we've done in years past and lose a WTF game.  Time to take care of business in conference.
Unrelated note, we are currently +18 against Duke (was +19 yesterday).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:51:58 AM by LoganK »

Marillac

« Reply #3753 on: December 23, 2018, 11:39:54 AM »
Yup.  Moved our SOS all the way up to 344.  As in there are only 9 teams with a weaker OOC SOS.
Thankfully, we didn't do what we've done in years past and lose a WTF game.  Time to take care of business in conference.
Unrelated note, we are currently +18 against Duke (was +19 yesterday).

According to KenPom.  They don't credit us with neutral court games against VCU and Cal. The NET does and that's what matters.

Three of our next four games are against teams that are or have been ranked in the top 32 of the AP.  We then have another stretch that reads:  @Creighton, @Duke, @Marquette, Providence, Butler, Villanova, and Providence!!!   Those are consecutive games.  Wow.

goredmen

« Reply #3754 on: December 23, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
According to KenPom.  They don't credit us with neutral court games against VCU and Cal. The NET does and that's what matters.

Ah yes, because those games going from semi-home to neutral would bump the SOS from 344 into the top 100. Lol, what a dope

« Reply #3755 on: December 23, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
Ah yes, because those games going from semi-home to neutral would bump the SOS from 344 into the top 100. Lol, what a dope

Did he say that... you make the worst arguments

goredmen

« Reply #3756 on: December 23, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
Did he say that... you make the worst arguments

He's trying to keep up his claim that the OOC schedule isn't weak (despite every rankings system and human brain knowing otherwise) by saying the SOS number is too low on one system because two neutral games are counted as semi-home games on that site, as if that would make the OOC schedule go from 7th worst to not-weak somehow

« Reply #3757 on: December 23, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »
He's trying to keep up his claim that the OOC schedule isn't weak (despite every rankings system and human brain knowing otherwise) by saying the SOS number is too low on one system because two neutral games are counted as semi-home games on that site, as if that would make the OOC schedule go from 7th worst to not-weak somehow

A top 50 ranking is nice (Kenpom). A top 30 ranking is nicer (net). Could that not be it
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #3758 on: December 23, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
A top 50 ranking is nice (Kenpom). A top 30 ranking is nicer (net). Could that not be it

Shouldn't a 12-0 team be ranked higher than 50 and 30? There's only 5 of em left

Marillac

« Reply #3759 on: December 23, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »

Honestly, what is wrong with you?  You have become insufferable to read.  Your infatuation with defending the weakness of our schedule has become one of the most unusual themes in the history of this forum.

Your straw men arguments are exhausting, and you punctuate almost every encounter with calling me a nice person. Stop building these bogus arguments to destroy. You're like Don Quixote fighting windmills at this point.  Nobody thinks that reclassifying two games to neutral court would vault us into a top 100 SOS. 

I've made three claims all along:  (1) our complete OOC after the road game at Duke isn't that weak; (2) our overall schedule is very strong; and (3) not having a monster schedule was ideal for THIS TEAM.

How much longer are you going to continue this?