Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

Johnny23

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #880 on: August 18, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »
Is that kid even old enough to buy alcohol?  Talk about green behind the ears. Sounds like Mully's doling out some favors to his old pals and their families.

I think that is a huge stretch. He will not be the first guy to play college basketball then be hired as a shortly after their career ended. To say he is doing favors to people by hiring coaches is really questioning his integrity which isn't fair. If Mullin thinks he can do the job I couldn't careless if he is 25 or 65.

If you think Mullin would be the first coach to add a friend or someone he's familiar with to his staff then you're not dealing in reality. Head coaches do it all the time in all sports. I'm not questioning his integrity, relax. St. Jean will not be the first guy to take this route, yet he's definitely lacking on experience, that's undeniable. Hopefully he turns into a valuable addition for the Johnnies.

« Reply #881 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
Is that kid even old enough to buy alcohol?  Talk about green behind the ears. Sounds like Mully's doling out some favors to his old pals and their families.

I think that is a huge stretch. He will not be the first guy to play college basketball then be hired as a shortly after their career ended. To say he is doing favors to people by hiring coaches is really questioning his integrity which isn't fair. If Mullin thinks he can do the job I couldn't careless if he is 25 or 65.

Brad Stevens became an assistant at Butler at 24, so this is not unheard of.  But it is a risk objectively.  I do agree that no one should draw conclusions that this relates to cronyism.  Mullin has given us no reason to believe that is the case (yet, and hopefully he never will)

On the bad side, Jarvis hired his son for GW straight out of college.  He was around 22 or 23 years old.

But, I like the St. Jean hire, because I'm a fan of the analytics.  Love it or hate it, that's something that's here to stay, so you might as well use it.

Wods317

« Reply #882 on: August 18, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »

If you think Mullin would be the first coach to add a friend or someone he's familiar with to his staff then you're not dealing in reality. Head coaches do it all the time in all sports. I'm not questioning his integrity, relax. St. Jean will not be the first guy to take this route, yet he's definitely lacking on experience, that's undeniable. Hopefully he turns into a valuable addition for the Johnnies.
Hiring someone you are familiar or friendly is very common but saying "old pals and their families" makes it sound like he is hiring people who aren't qualified as favors. There is a huge difference between the two so I will just say that and relax lol.

wpc77

« Reply #883 on: August 18, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

"I'm not questioning his integrity".  Sure you are.  You wrote "sounds like Mully's doling out some favors to his old pals and their families."  Don't backtrack

Johnny23

« Reply #884 on: August 18, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

"I'm not questioning his integrity".  Sure you are.  You wrote "sounds like Mully's doling out some favors to his old pals and their families."  Don't backtrack

Don't put words in my mouth. That's your interpretation. Coaches do favors all the time for their friends including hiring them as assistant coaches. You sound like Mullin's PR guy. Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's ok, he has integrity lol .

Johnny23

« Reply #885 on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »

Hiring someone you are familiar or friendly is very common but saying "old pals and their families" makes it sound like he is hiring people who aren't qualified as favors. There is a huge difference between the two so I will just say that and relax lol.

Thanks for proving my point. Relax son lol .

Wods317

« Reply #886 on: August 18, 2015, 01:31:22 PM »

Thanks for proving my point. Relax son lol .

Didn't prove your point in the least. What you were saying was very different from hiring a qualified person who you are friendly with. Anyone who read your first statement would draw the conclusion that you are saying he is just hiring people who he knows and not people who are qualified for the position.

« Reply #887 on: August 18, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Every job I've had post college has been due to a pre-existing relationship. I didn't get the positions because of a favor but they were simply aware and familiar of my experience and work ethic. This goes for all walks of life.

I also would like to strongly encourage everyone to think twice before they hit "post" when discussing this topic.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #888 on: August 18, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
Every job I've had post college has been due to a pre-existing relationship. I didn't get the positions because of a favor but they were simply aware and familiar of my experience and work ethic. This goes for all walks of life.

I also would like to strongly encourage everyone to think twice before they hit "post" when discussing this topic.

Agree 100% but disagreed with what was said before. Let's move one. Looking forward to the official announcement of the rest of the staff.

paultzman

« Reply #889 on: August 21, 2015, 06:18:23 PM »
St. Jean for AC & Richmond for special assistant type slot, just a matter of time.

« Reply #890 on: August 21, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
Awesome! Thanks Paultz, that's great news.

paultzman

« Reply #891 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Hearing it will soon be official that Greg St. Jean will be named the 3rd asst at St. John's and Mitch Richmond will be special assistant.

lihoop

« Reply #892 on: August 21, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »
nice, great to hear. 
I take it special assistants can't recruit per se?

ras

« Reply #893 on: August 21, 2015, 10:33:55 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Hearing it will soon be official that Greg St. Jean will be named the 3rd asst at St. John's and Mitch Richmond will be special assistant.
I guess Zags read your post.

desco80

« Reply #894 on: August 22, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »
nice, great to hear. 

Only HC +3 can be out on the road.
So mitch could recruit but somebody else would have to take that trip off.

redslope

« Reply #895 on: August 22, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
Nice to see the young man get his first chance as it is a difficult job for recent college grads.  Come from a B-ball background.  Matt was given a chance by Hoiberg without which he might not be here now.  Now with Mitch being in a position similar to Keady's who becomes the DOBO? 

Wods317

« Reply #896 on: August 22, 2015, 02:10:18 PM »
Nice to see the young man get his first chance as it is a difficult job for recent college grads.  Come from a B-ball background.  Matt was given a chance by Hoiberg without which he might not be here now.  Now with Mitch being in a position similar to Keady's who becomes the DOBO? 

https://twitter.com/coachmatic
Already have a DOBO

wpc77

« Reply #897 on: August 22, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »

Dejan Matic is the DoBo. See posts 2 weeks ago

redslope

« Reply #898 on: August 22, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »

Dejan Matic is the DoBo. See posts 2 weeks ago
Thanks!

« Reply #899 on: August 23, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »
nice, great to hear. 

Only HC +3 can be out on the road.
So mitch could recruit but somebody else would have to take that trip off.
Don't believe you can just rotate who is out recruiting, would have to give a good reason why one of the four is unavailable to get permission for dobo or anyone else to recruit.